PDA

View Full Version : MX Goggles for Snowboarding?

Sjorge450R
01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Well, i think I found my new favorite hobby today after going boarding for the first time ever. I am looking to pick up a board package, but I definitely need goggles. Rode for 8+ hours today without any and my eyes are like dead.

Now obviously i have quite a few pairs of mx goggles chilling around my house, but my question is. Is their really a different between mx and snow goggles? I have a pair of spys that I want to get a nice mirror lens for, but I am only gonna do so if there is little or now differences between the two style goggles.

Let the cash spending begin on yet another outdoor sport! :D

finsteratv
01-14-2011, 08:41 PM
im wondering the same thing!

lasher45
01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Buy snow goggles....

The snow goggle lenses are polarized and fog resistant and they both come in handy all the time. If you looking for a good pair of goggles go to smith optics, best ive used.

250x_kyle
01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by lasher45
Buy snow goggles....

The snow goggle lenses are polarized and fog resistant and they both come in handy all the time. If you looking for a good pair of goggles go to smith optics, best ive used.

plus they have a little more insulation around the edges not that it helps much but they do.

wilkin250r
01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
All these things are correct. I live in Lake Tahoe, I know snow.

Now, on a fairly clear day, none of those things are going to be a big deal. A pair of MX goggles will be VASTLY superior to sunglasses, so if funds are tight, then go with the MX goggles.

But snow goggles do indeed have some added benefits. They're insulated better, a usually have anti-fog coating to keep moisture from building up on both the inside and outside of the lenses.

First time I went seriously riding, it started snowing about ten minutes into the ride. The other riders were curious why they couldn't see squat through their goggles, but my goggles were clear as day. "Because they're snowboard goggles, duh!"

walker054
01-15-2011, 06:50 AM
a lot cheaper to just put the polarized lens in the goggles you already own.

quad2xtreme
01-15-2011, 07:07 AM
All of my snow goggles have two lenses in them too. They are old though...did they stop making them this way?

mx goggles fog up much easier compared to my double lenses.

Zakradu398
01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
All of my snow goggles have two lenses in them too. They are old though...did they stop making them this way?

mx goggles fog up much easier compared to my double lenses.

Mine are 2 lenses.

I love mine, they are oakely polarized A-frame.

Sjorge450R
01-15-2011, 08:32 AM
thanks for the heads up guys. Id rather not fog up, so it looks like im gonna grab a pair of goggles for my next visit to the mountain.

Now, when it comes to MX, my preference is Spy. Are the qualities between the companys the same as they are when you look at their MX goggles?

Exrider434
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
i have a pair of oakleys, and i absolutely love them. Polarized orange/yellow lens makes for a prefect setup.

One thing i highly reccomend is that if you do alot of night time boarding stay away from the mirror tint and purple/amber tints..... They work awesome in the day, but come night they are more of a pain than help!

madskrillz2
01-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Don't wanna jack your thread but what about the opposite? Snow goggles for mx? Only reason I'm asking is because there are some really sweet designs on the snow goggles. That and the mirror lenses look ten times better.

Zakradu398
01-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Don't wanna jack your thread but what about the opposite? Snow goggles for mx? Only reason I'm asking is because there are some really sweet designs on the snow goggles. That and the mirror lenses look ten times better.

Sure it would be fine other than using $150 goggles with dirt, rocks and treebranches hitting them. lol

armstrong88
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
thanks for the heads up guys. Id rather not fog up, so it looks like im gonna grab a pair of goggles for my next visit to the mountain.

Now, when it comes to MX, my preference is Spy. Are the qualities between the companys the same as they are when you look at their MX goggles? Got mine at Eks Brand.com. Luv em and gr8 price too. think they're having a sale right now too. Saw something on my Facebook about it.; have fun!

ben300
01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R

Now, when it comes to MX, my preference is Spy. Are the qualities between the companys the same as they are when you look at their MX goggles?

i ski about 30 days a year, so having the proper goggles will vastly help when being out there.

im not sure what you are asking about quality, but spy definitely makes some of the best snow goggles for boarding and skiing out there, as for the same with oakly, electric, and even scott and smith make decent goggles.

you can wind up spending a ton of money when buying goggles, depending on what brand, what lens you get, because alot of snow goggles anymore are pro's signature goggles. however, all the companies should have excellent quality goggles in the $70-$100 range with a good selection of colors and lens option.

i live in erie, and i know the erie sports store up here carries a electric goggles that come with three pair of lenses, and they're about $75.

also, i would try goggles on before you buy them, cuase if you wear a helmet, some goggles may not fit with the helmet

DEVINF450R
01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I really like my Spy Zed goggles for boarding.... Never fog

lasher45
01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
What time of the day are you going to be hitting up the mountain? Depending if it's night or day you're going to want specific lenses with a certain VTL. The higher the VTL (Visible Light Transfer) the better you can see in low light conditions. But if your going to the mountain during the day with the sun out a low VTL goggle can really come in handy. You won't have to squint and everything will be crystal clear.

Smith lenses are all made with a double lens and have many different choices in lenses with descriptions on what type of light they are suited for. You can buy the I/O which allow you to change lenses in seconds but at $55 a lens you don't want to buy extras unless your willing to blow some money on that stuff.

I have the Smith Prophecy and just bought some I/Os and they never fog.

Sjorge450R
01-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
I really like my Spy Zed goggles for boarding.... Never fog

I think thats what I am gonna order. I had my eyes on them since checking em out at the ski shop lol

trick450r
01-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2

I used to do carry a set of polarized, anti fog oakleys to all my races, in the right weather they make a huge difference.