PDA

View Full Version : whats nessicary when 'beefing up' your engine

TheX1992
02-12-2003, 06:26 PM
me and my dad arent on the same page with my motor. here are some of the disagreements.

1. Race gas runs hotter he says. i say it runs cooler

2. i got a sparks ported head and a .020 12:1 piston.. need race gas. he wants to know what i have to 'beef' to make it run nice and not break. like a chain reaction you could say. if you get a big cam you need to 'beef' up springs, retainers, guides. what do you have to buy when you put in a high compression piston and run race gas. he says a better connecting rod from the different compression, aftermarket valves because its 'hotter' (question number 1), better gaskets, exhaust and carb... are we on the right track? he says 'if you do it you have to do it right so a week later you dont blow up because the aftermarket parts out-do the stock parts'.

so with ported head, 12:1 piston, k&n filter, and maybe a supertrapp pipe, what else would i need to do it 'right' so after 10 hours of riding something else doenst break. you guys get what im saying?

Steven
02-12-2003, 07:20 PM
The higher the octane, the slower the gas burns... hence it burns cooler.

On the other hand, the higher the compression and displacment, the more heat that is generated.

When compared to pump gas, race gas will burn cooler and will lubricate the valve seats for better longevity.

12:1 is a good bit of compression. You are placeing more stress on the rod but I don't know if that will cause it to break.

If you replace the rod now, it will cost $80. If you wait for the OEM to break, it will cost alot more.

Its a gamble that you take.

Steve

TheX1992
02-12-2003, 08:24 PM
is there an aftermarket rod i can get that is built to last longer than stock? like Hot rods on banshees. do they make rods for mine? also my valves, are stock ones fine?

Big - D Racing
02-12-2003, 11:07 PM
go to www.sparksracing.com or Curtis Sparks they have a heavy duty connectiong rod and yes race gas runs cooler

Steven
02-13-2003, 06:01 PM
wiseco and carilo should sell rods for your bike

Ramin
02-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Race gas runs cooler because there's lead in it

Big - D Racing
02-15-2003, 07:15 PM
The lead is what makes it run cooler, it is better to have leaded racing gas than non leaded.

honda250xrider
02-15-2003, 08:22 PM
i would also recommend hardend rocker arms

YZROOSTINYA
02-15-2003, 11:18 PM
race gas has lead in it which helps to dissapate heat faster. it actually ignites at a higher temp than lower ocatane fuel. the higher the octane the slower the burn but higher the flashpoint. this is the what helps to prevent detonation in higher compression motors.

beefing up the valvetrain depends mainly on the cam used.

a stock material cam with medium grinds will be reliable with stock valve train components.

adding scoops will help control heat build up. my bike runs about the same as stock with my add-ons.

12:1 is a alot on the stock rod. i would not go higher than 11:1

as long as you maintain the oil and get a "drop-in" cam you should be fairly safe and see good power in creases. if you go to a fairly aggressive cam than get springs. my buddy ahs a re-welded wb cam and he is using stock rockers with over 400 hours before the rebuild and he is still running good(400 total hours,4 yrs)

the trans is a little funny though
:confused2

YZROOSTINYA
02-15-2003, 11:19 PM
lead also helps on the valve seats by dampning the impact of the valve closing

Sandragggen
02-16-2003, 10:06 AM
In addition to parts already listed a heavy duty cam chain will help beef things up. Sparks has them for $100.

TheX1992
02-16-2003, 04:09 PM
i got my engine pulled today to do frame work. what do i have to do to replace the crank. can i do it from the top where the jug sits or do i have to take the side cases off

yellowrider
02-16-2003, 09:19 PM
where do you buy a rod for 80.00 ??

3x440ex
02-17-2003, 01:55 PM
i got my engine pulled today to do frame work. what do i have to do to replace the crank. can i do it from the top where the jug sits or do i have to take the side cases off

i just had my crank replaced....you have to pull the motor then then split the case.....you should replace the bearings while you're in there.

Jay300ex
02-17-2003, 04:39 PM
what do i have to do to replace the crank. can i do it from the top where the jug sits or do i have to take the side cases off

You have to split that case to get the crank out, and you do want to replace the main bearings while your in there since they are very vital to the engine.

I don't know to much about race gas, but if these guys say it has lead in it, and its higher octane then this is what I think I can figure - higher octane prevents pre ignition ( which can happen if compression is to high, the air/fuel mixture will pre ignite ) when lead is added, it obviously will increase immisions ( duh ) provide a valve face to valve seat dampener AND run a bit cooler, but note, it only cools the cylinder a small amount, most of the cooling it will affect will be on the intake valve, not the exhaust.

If you raised your compression a considerable ammount, then you should invest in a stronger connecting rod, cam, harder rocker arms, and *probably* a cam chain. I also think an oil pump is nescisary ( right? ).

But, I am no expert at this. I take a small engine coarse in school but I am taking night classes at a local motorcycle shop who is paying half of my tuition to a mechanics institute, so I can definatly find out this stuff quick. hope I helped.

Jay-

TheX1992
02-17-2003, 07:35 PM
man thats alot of work for a new rod. do you think it would be worth it? i got a WB rod picked out for 130. so then i need gaskets, main bearing, seals, other bearings, and other stuff. thats going to cost me more than the rod itself and take a while. but on the other hand i have LESS of a chance to throw a rod. im 16, no job, no car, and NO SPONSERS. should i sell my piston and buy a new 11:1 or standard comp? i never thought i would have to spend this much money to put in a piston

Big - D Racing
02-17-2003, 08:14 PM
I would go with the 11:1 saves you a lot of money in the end on the rod, parts, plus you'll have to run race gas on 12:1

Jay300ex
02-18-2003, 06:03 AM
Yea it really is all about how much money you want to fork out to make it run the way you want it =)

TheX1992
02-22-2003, 09:58 PM
if i tried putting the ported head and 12:1 piston in, stock cam, timing chain, crank and connecting rod, and valve assembly and valves, how long do you think i would be able to go before i blew it up? my dad said he wants to run race gas now (his money not mine i guess). would it be alright and you just dont reccomend it or is it a for sure within like a week it will blow

Jay300ex
02-22-2003, 10:23 PM
I guess it would depend on how hard you hug the redline. If you want the best, and get your money's worth, dont go cheap It may last 2 weeks or it may last a year, depends on how hard you ride it and if it was re assembled correctly ( there is a lot of things that can happen when putting a motor back together ).

I dont know how much more advice I can give you on this though so.

Jay

fitethesystom
01-13-2006, 10:50 PM
higher octane fuel burns cooler your dad's a moron, LOL

XCredrider
01-14-2006, 10:02 PM
i woul djust run that rod.. i never hear of them breaking anyways and they are really strong so id just use that. just dont go crazy in mods if you dont have the $.