PDA

View Full Version : DOT-approved Star Wars replica helmets

rbgnwa45
01-13-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm working with a development team to produce DOT-approved replica Star Wars helmets for on & off-road use. We're in the early stages of marketing ability & design. I'm working with companies that are licenced to sell Star Wars designs & logos.

We're considering add-ons, and full one-piece helmets. The add-ons would be two halves (front/back) that you glue to your existing helmet of any size. I didn't like the add-on idea, but it would be easier to produce, and be more cost effective to me and the consumer. Some helmets are just too big to fit a Star Wars design over it, and they'd look jumbo-sized (think "Space Balls"). Some of the designs have limited vision that the DOT wouldn't approve, and I'm considering using one-way transparent plastic to fix that problem (full color outside, see-through inside).

Designs include Boba Fett, storm trooper from ROTJ (the MX-style looking one), clone wars trooper, original storm trooper, Darth Vader, tie-fighter storm trooper, rebel etc...

Price for a one-piece, although it'd be deteremined by other factors, would be what a traditional, decent, on/off-road helmet goes for - $300-$600. Add-ons would be much cheaper, like $30-$60.

What I need to know is - would you buy one over a traditional MX-style helmet, either as an add-on w/glue or a full-piece?

If the response is great than I'll be getting these to the market faster. If you want to consider this a very early order, please do! I'm confident that these will sell easily because of the existing fan-base, and because nobody else is producing DOT-approved replica helmets. Opinions welcome!

http://www.hauntedshop.co.uk/images/scouthelmet.jpg

TheLane
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
something less restrictive i would approve, That visor would severly limit your field of view, But if it didnt get int he way of preformance you bet i would buy darn near anything star wars....what about maybe a chest protector that looked like darth vaders suit or something?? Id buy that : D!!!

YOURADHERE
01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
I'm working with a development team to produce DOT-approved replica Star Wars helmets for on & off-road use. We're in the early stages of marketing ability & design. I'm working with companies that are licenced to sell Star Wars designs & logos.

We're considering add-ons, and full one-piece helmets. The add-ons would be two halves (front/back) that you glue to your existing helmet of any size. I didn't like the add-on idea, but it would be easier to produce, and be more cost effective to me and the consumer. Some helmets are just too big to fit a Star Wars design over it, and they'd look jumbo-sized (think "Space Balls"). Some of the designs have limited vision that the DOT wouldn't approve, and I'm considering using one-way transparent plastic to fix that problem (full color outside, see-through inside).

Designs include Boba Fett, storm trooper from ROTJ (the MX-style looking one), clone wars trooper, original storm trooper, Darth Vader, tie-fighter storm trooper, rebel etc...

Price for a one-piece, although it'd be deteremined by other factors, would be what a traditional, decent, on/off-road helmet goes for - $300-$600. Add-ons would be much cheaper, like $30-$60.

What I need to know is - would you buy one over a traditional MX-style helmet, either as an add-on w/glue or a full-piece?

If the response is great than I'll be getting these to the market faster. If you want to consider this a very early order, please do! I'm confident that these will sell easily because of the existing fan-base, and because nobody else is producing DOT-approved replica helmets. Opinions welcome!

http://www.hauntedshop.co.uk/images/scouthelmet.jpg

Judging by that pic that helmet would blow at cruising speeds. That huge visor would act like a parachute and want to pull your head off. Cool idea for a novelty/fool around thing...but looks highly impractical for highway uses.

ben300
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
who's the company that your working with to develop these helmets?

and i thought you were unemployed?

rbgnwa45
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
The development team is with Davison.com, out of PA state. They make the prototype, research the markets, and present the idea to manufacturer(s). From a list of 2000+ companies licenced to sell Star Wars stuff, we havn't chosen the manufacturer(s). It's hard to just go up to a big-name company to present ideas, so Davison does the leg work for you.

It's always better if you can throw money at your own business as it projects confidence, but you don't have to be employed to build a business. If an investor likes your product, they'll pave the way for you. I told Davison that I couldn't afford their base fee of $745 until the product is selling, and they're okay with that because they profit the most from royalties. Here's some products they've worked on (http://www.davison.com/products/) - hundreds of products in over 800 stores (Walmart).

http://www.davison.com/images/content/prod_buildingimage3.jpg

evan402
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
id buy one to walk around in, but no way im riding with one of those on.....lol

trx310R#24
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
I'd laugh my *** off if I seen someone going down the road with that on... Just satin :p

rubbersdown
01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I would totally rock a boba fett helmet when I ride dunes and maybe even at the track, thatd be hilarious.

SRH
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
i dont think any guy whose remotely serious rider would wear one offroad, maybe more on road guys

i just dont understand how star wars crosses over into offroad motorsports in anyway

C. Lindsey #18
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i dont think any guy whose remotely serious rider would wear one offroad, maybe more on road guys

i just dont understand how star wars crosses over into offroad motorsports in anyway

"Luke Hahhh get off my quaad haahh"

rbgnwa45
01-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SRH

It's more of a novelty, and being as safe as any other helmets, the decision to wear one becomes "why not?". It's the coolness factor, the looks you'll get, etc. If by "serious" you're hinting at a lack of safety and/or practicality - there wouldn't be a difference over a traditional helmet, just the cool look. If you think pro's don't like cool-looking gear than I don't know what to say, the force isn't strong with this one :p? Look at those blue balls that people hang off the back of quads & trucks - those are just dumb, yet so many people have them, all for the look.

Star Wars broke into the off-road market in 1980 with their Return Of The Jedi storm trooper helmet design, which was an 80's motocross helmet.

I honestly think that any young pro rider would sport a trooper helmet in a race.

How about a halo/master chief helmet?

Tommy Warren
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
"not only does he ride a suzuki....but he wears a star wars helmet too...what a loser"

I honestly think you would sell more to the paintball community as apposed to us...

rbgnwa45
01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
"not only does he ride a suzuki....but he wears a star wars helmet too...what a loser"

I honestly think you would sell more to the paintball community as apposed to us...

I didn't take that into consideration because if you're going to drop $500 on a Star Wars helmet than you're in well-knowing of the flack you'll receive from your friends - you'd have to be a big enough fan, and when you're that big of one you won't care about negative comments, let alone because you ride a ______/brand. A comment like that from a friend would be childish, and hardly enough to stop a fan like me from wearing one. More people will laugh with it than at it, and not at the person wearing it. Darth Vader masks are down right bad ***.

This isn't viewed as some power-rangers gimmick, Star Wars is the ultimate reality-based fantasy. To include it in the off-road market is like an ATV becoming a toy with working suspension, you're combining likes with other likes. There's even ATV-toilet paper.

Someone probably sells Star Wars paintball masks or atleast because they don't need to be DOT approved, you could just use a toy helmet.

The money is in it being legal for street & off-road. Otherwise, I'm the 1000th person to create a toy helmet.

TheLane
01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SRH

because quads are awesome.....and star wars is awesome........why not???

If it was practical id totally rock one!! you trying to say im not serious? :macho :blah:

lasher45
01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I would buy one, and I would take it out on the track at least once. I'm a huge Star Wars fan so something like this would be awesome.

feuerstack411
01-13-2011, 08:57 PM
On my drive up to Montreal last week, we passed a truck with some kids rocking Stormtrooper helmets.

ben300
01-14-2011, 07:28 AM
I honestly think that any young pro rider would sport a trooper helmet in a race.

funny,...i somehow do not see this happening...

TheLane
01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ben300
funny,...i somehow do not see this happening...

so unless its being sold to pro's its not worth making?:rolleyes:

440racer66
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
if a pro showed up to a nat wearing that thing on there head would get laughed out of the place. i could see it for like dunes and paintball but star wars and mx really dont go well. now if you went to a nerd convention and there was a mx track there im sure you have a hit on your hands.

trx310R#24
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 440racer66
if a pro showed up to a nat wearing that thing on there head would get laughed out of the place. i could see it for like dunes and paintball but star wars and mx really dont go well. now if you went to a nerd convention and there was a mx track there im sure you have a hit on your hands.

could not have said it better =p

TheLane
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
bah cmon you guys are nay sayers and shooting it down!

just because that particular model might not be the most practical doesnt mean it cant work.

People are so quick to find the faults in something before even looking at the possibility for a good or even just fun new idea or vision.

I think it could be cool and dont let these eliteists tell you that unless its made for the pros its not worth making.

I think it would be funny to see a pro show up have people laugh at him then spank em all. :devil:

Quad18star
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I wanna call BS on this whole thing .... but can't stop laughing thinking some guy could be riding around with a Star Wars helmet on his head .

ben300
01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
so unless its being sold to pro's its not worth making?:rolleyes:

no, if you'd actually learn how to read and take things in context, you would have understood that i dont see pro's wanting to wear that ****ing thing

TheLane
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ben300
no, if you'd actually learn how to read and take things in context, you would have understood that i dont see pro's wanting to wear that ****ing thing

so your speaking on behalf of all the pros out there?:p

must be nice to have someone who knows what you want for you, lucky guys.

Your still being a naysayer :devil:

SRH
01-14-2011, 12:54 PM
wait til dirtbike guys see a bunch of quad guys riding around as storm troopers... if there didnt think we were ***s before it should clarify things for them

rbgnwa45
01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
OK - pro's are out. People driving with them on is a good sign :D.

so unless its being sold to pro's its not worth making?

Ben didn't say it's not worth making if a pro won't wear it.

I wanna call BS on this whole thing

I've contacted a company that can do everything for me, a licencing agreement is the possible outcome. What I might need is a lot of money (that I don't have) for a bunch of prototypes and DOT-approval, although I might only need one design. I've asked the company about my lack of financing only yesterday, I submitted my idea 2 weeks ago, and then went up north for a week. When I spoke on the phone with someone there we talked about one-piece vs. add-on, licencing, and they're already aware that I can't afford much. I'm just waiting for the next email/phone call to see if they know of a licenced manufacturer that can do this and if they'll pay for the prototype(s) ETC. I might need a full presentation, so I'd have to get a loan from the bank, which I'm almost sure won't work, *maybe* if I have a possible licencing deal and orders, so getting responses early does help. My only obstacle is money, and this is very early to be saying it won't work.

I did this to get responses, all welcome. If those responses are "I would" buy it than it's possible that they will. It seems like you either don't like starwars and think anybody who does is a nerd/loser or you like starwars and would buy one. Why crap on other people's fanaticisms? That's exactly what Star Wars is :chinese:.

Brad77
01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by SRH
wait til dirtbike guys see a bunch of quad guys riding around as storm troopers... if there didnt think we were ***s before it should clarify things for them

I don't think that a helmet is going to hinder or help an atv rider's reputation with the anti-atv, quad-hatin, two-wheeled, rut-lovin dirt bike guys who call us quadtards.
Heck if a dirt bike guy wanted a good laugh he could just come to this site and do a search where there are LOTS of post that talk about how much cooler dirtbikes are than quads.

Oh and on the helmet I have really no say on it. Its pretty cool, I am a more traditional when it comes to my safety gear.

This thread made me think of this thread.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=439856&perpage=10&highlight=iron and helmet&pagenumber=1

Quad18star
01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
OK - pro's are out. People driving with them on is a good sign :D.

Ben didn't say it's not worth making if a pro won't wear it.

I've contacted a company that can do everything for me, a licencing agreement is the possible outcome. What I might need is a lot of money (that I don't have) for a bunch of prototypes and DOT-approval, although I might only need one design. I've asked the company about my lack of financing only yesterday, I submitted my idea 2 weeks ago, and then went up north for a week. When I spoke on the phone with someone there we talked about one-piece vs. add-on, licencing, and they're already aware that I can't afford much. I'm just waiting for the next email/phone call to see if they know of a licenced manufacturer that can do this and if they'll pay for the prototype(s) ETC. I might need a full presentation, so I'd have to get a loan from the bank, which I'm almost sure won't work, *maybe* if I have a possible licencing deal and orders, so getting responses early does help. My only obstacle is money, and this is very early to be saying it won't work.

I did this to get responses, all welcome. If those responses are "I would" buy it than it's possible that they will. It seems like you either don't like starwars and think anybody who does is a nerd/loser or you like starwars and would buy one. Why crap on other people's fanaticisms? That's exactly what Star Wars is :chinese:.

I'm all for people being entrepeneurs ... but take a realistic look at the figures before even attempting to get the banks to loan you money for R&D. How much of the market shares do you believe this product would pull?
Here's how you look at it ..... out of a population of 100 000 people, how many are Star Wars fans?
Out of that number of fans , how many are fanatics?
Out of that number of fanatics, how many are collectors of novelty items (essentially this product is a novelty item)
And out of that number of collectors, how many are motorcycle enthusiasts that would purchase this helmet or go out and purchase a helmet to ad a two-piece "mask" to it?

I'm going to guess that you're lucky if you touch 1% of the market.. but then again , I'm no market analyst. I have however worked in the Powersports biz for quite a few years, and can tell you that gimmicks do not sell. Out of 500 helmets that I may sell in a season, I'm lucky if 2 are those of novelty (the ones with the spikes or wacky hair , etc).

I know this may be a "dream" of yours, but don't sell the farm and bank on making a ton of money off this idea.

Also have you researched the market and found if anyone has ever tried to patent something like this? If you base your design off the similar design that you posted a picture of, I'm telling you right now it will not work. Motorcycle guys do NOT want anything that will cause a lifting effect while riding. Hell most guys don't even want vents on their brainbuckets because any little bit of resistance causes lift on the helmet and can result is a really sore neck at the end of a riding day from fighting the wind against the helmet.

Those that would buy this, would buy it and put it on a shelf in their garage to say to their buddies that they own a Star Wars brain bucket.

Tommy Warren
01-14-2011, 02:03 PM
if your capable of mass producing helmets why don't you just create regular helmet and put your own graffics on them....start your own brand.

you could have quad graffics(which I've never seen), create some graffics with your little star wars queers on them, or what I want is a mx helmet with the clip for a helmet cam built right into it;) now that I would buy.

Pappy
01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Star Wars had actual incest in it, Deliverence did not, well it never showed it. If you can get past the whole "Squeel Like Pig" scene, the movies are all but interchangable.

TheLane
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Star Wars had actual incest in it, Deliverence did not, well it never showed it. If you can get past the whole "Squeel Like Pig" scene, the movies are all but interchangable.

lol what?? whats does this have to do with me wanting a boba fett helmet?

3400ben
01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Alot of dumb ideas have made millions!

rbgnwa45
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm all for people being entrepeneurs ... but take a realistic look at the figures before even attempting to get the banks to loan you money for R&D. How much of the market shares do you believe this product would pull?

That's not for me to decide or research, thank god.

The two-piece idea sucks. It's gimmickier.

(the ones with the spikes or wacky hair , etc.

They aren't Darth Vader helmets :devil:. Spikes and wacky hair are crap ideas.

I know this may be a "dream" of yours, but don't sell the farm and bank on making a ton of money off this idea.

It actually came to me in a dream :ermm:. I have no farm to sell anyways.

Also have you researched the market and found if anyone has ever tried to patent something like this?

If the manufacturer wants to patent, they will, not me.

If you base your design off the similar design that you posted a picture of, I'm telling you right now it will not work. Motorcycle guys do NOT want anything that will cause a lifting effect while riding. Hell most guys don't even want vents on their brainbuckets because any little bit of resistance causes lift on the helmet and can result is a really sore neck at the end of a riding day from fighting the wind against the helmet.

Semi-hidden venting might work, otherwise a full replica of that design would just tank. At 60+ MPH, any sort of venting might not work. A tiny bit of pull would be acceptable, but nothing that "rips your head off", hinders neck movements or makes you tired a lot faster.

if your capable of mass producing helmets why don't you just create regular helmet and put your own graffics on them....start your own brand.

There's lots of people doing that. Nobody has street/off-road legal SW helmets. Getting into that share of the market would be hell, an even longer road.

what I want is a mx helmet with the clip for a helmet cam built right into it now that I would buy.

Nobody is producing that? Where on the helmet, front, back, and sides? That might be a way better idea! A super-glued piece of velcro or a shaped clip-mount built in? How do they get them on their now? Cam's don't seem to be falling off everywhere, so unless it's a vast improvement...

Alot of dumb ideas have made millions!

Millions...

Pet rocks.
http://blogington.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Pet-Rock-300x225.jpg
http://blogington.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Snuggie.jpg
http://blogington.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Bottled-Water-300x199.jpg
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/dogwig.jpg
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/dogperfume.jpg
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/petvending.jpg
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/doggles.jpg
Road-kill dog toys.
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/roadkill.jpg
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/aballs.jpg
Fake wishbones.
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/wishbone.jpg
Buy a pixel for $1.
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/milliondollarhp.jpg
Sends you a list of catchy domain names for $50. If you register and use the name, they keep the $50.
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/pickydomains.jpg
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/texttoilet.jpg
Fake, but real looking Dr. notes for excuses.
http://www.fastupfront.com/pics/excuses.jpg

slightlybent47
01-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Seems like people will buy anything. There’s a sucker born every minuet.
This cant be more than a novelty at best. The slip on kind would be more practical as a joke because if I have that kind of money lying around I would rather get something that made me faster. At highway speeds the wind would tear your head off. Plus I doubt DOT would approve a helmet with such limited field of view. I would not ride with it or ride on a track where someone was wearing one.
But hay people buy pet rocks so go figure.

Trouble with all the invention and marketing companies is they will tell you that you have a great idea and get you to spend thousands in patents applications and marketing research and patent research. That’s where they make most of there money. If the product is a success then they make lots of money. But even if your idea fails they still make money on you.

rbgnwa45
01-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I doubt DOT would approve a helmet with such limited field of view.

Yes, but I would use one-way transparent, shaped-plastic, such as:

http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/iron_man_helmet_left.jpg

There's also this less unobstructed view from the clone wars:

http://videogames.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/clone-trooper-helmet.jpg

If the product is a success then they make lots of money. But even if your idea fails they still make money on you.

Which is why I won't go through with this if Davison doesn't believe that it can be mass produced or turn a great profit, all without my financing :ermm:. You don't necessarily need to patent something for a company to want to licence it. I'm not even sure if you can patent a logo that's been around since the 80's.

I missed the directors call today, we'll speak tomorrow :macho.

buck440
01-16-2011, 06:57 AM
It's more of a novelty, and being as safe as any other helmets, the decision to wear one becomes "why not?". It's the coolness factor, the looks you'll get, etc. If by "serious" you're hinting at a lack of safety and/or practicality - there wouldn't be a difference over a traditional helmet, just the cool look. If you think pro's don't like cool-looking gear than I don't know what to say, the force isn't strong with this one :p? Look at those blue balls that people hang off the back of quads & trucks - those are just dumb, yet so many people have them, all for the look.

so the people with the truck nutz is like the people that would wear a starwars helmet? sounds about right lol.

starwars was really popular back when it came but now idk it's as popular. its a helmet that seems to be directed towards starwars fans more than everybody else thus really limiting who would buy it. it also looks impractical, overpriced, goofy for anybody serious.

Ralph
01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Two things I wanted to say:

#1, Add on pieces are a horrible idea as they will cover up any defects or cracks. Potentially dangerous.

#2 comes right off the companies website:

The total number of consumers in the last five years who made more money in royalties than they paid, in total, under any and all agreements with Davison, is fourteen (14). The percentage of Davison's income that came from royalties paid on licenses of consumers' products is .001%

slightlybent47
01-16-2011, 02:56 PM
No way could it be a serious helmet for anything but a novelty. Sure it would be fun for a joke but who would plop down that kinda cash for joke. Sure you would have a few takers but would it justify the cast to produce and market?

buck440
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
plus i crash a lot and ride woods and there is always huge vines, fallen trees, and branches trying to destroy my visor as it is. i been through like 6 visors so far.

like you posted before, the stupidest **** sells. i does worry me that you quoted "a lot of dumb ideas have made millions" implying that this is a dumb idea...which it is...and most people wouldn't want to buy a expensive piece of important safety gear if the person behind it thinks its "dumb" IMO

catch22blaster
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Only way Id wear one was if I was on my 110 an wanting to get laughs from ppl an make a huge scene. I'd wear it for sure though. And if it was good enough an might protect u id mayb race the 110 with it on but idk though u can wreck pretty hard on 110s to though lol sounded good hahahhaa

buck440
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

there was a commercial on tv like 10 years ago and some guys were camping in the woods and they heard a banjo play that tune and the guys ran and i asked my dad why they ran and he told my when i get older he would tell me...seen it a while back now i know why lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8

xtremelimit
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
IVE NEVER LAUGHED SO HARD AT A THREAD BEFORE !!!:D

buck440
01-16-2011, 09:45 PM
:blah:

SRH
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
lol what?? whats does this have to do with me wanting a boba fett helmet?

pappy is from wv, and i believe he is working on coming out with deliverance overalls for atv riding :p

theyd prob sell alot better than high dollar star wars helmets

you might love the idea personally but any real businessman or entrepeneur doesnt fall in love with anything but a dollar

quadrider
01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
don't mean to be a dream killer but i rember reading this awile back when i was researching companys like this
and they have a $26 million dollar lawsuit against them...

One of the well known invention marketing (scam) company was ordered to pay $26 million by a Pennsylvania judge on March 17, 2006.

FEDERAL TRADE COMM v. DAVISON & ASSOCIATES, et al
FINDINGS OF FACT AND CONCLUSIONS OF LAW. Signed by Judge Gary L. Lancaster on 3/17/06. Davison_Findings.pdf
ORDER for PERMANENT INJUNCTION. Signed by Judge Gary L. Lancaster on 3/17/06. Davison_Order_for_Permanent_Inj.pdf
ORDER entering JUDGMENT in the amount of $26 million in favor of plaintiff and against defendants, jointly and severally, with the exception of defendant Miele-Davison, whose liability is limited to $8 million; Monies collected on this judgment shall be deposited by plaintiff into an interest bearing account for distribution pursuant to a disbursement plan to be approved by the court.
Signed by Judge Gary L. Lancaster on 3/17/06 Davison_Order.pdf

Beware of others like them that are still in operation.

Check the FTC website for the conclusion of this case in 2008.

rbgnwa45
01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
That was helpfull :eek2:. Good thing I didn't sign any contracts or give them any money! They should be in JAIL!

I also was also taken advantage of i paid 0ver 600 hundred dollars that I really didn’t have for my portable crash unit I invented and bescause i was young and i didn’t know what to do. I only could get a conversation with them if the subject was about more money , and they tried to get $10,000 to $15,000 by saying they’llusing something called inventegration, that said that emi medical was a prospective company. and sent me a binder with info that didn’t say much about my product or manufacture process accept the basic stuff i already knew. an all it did they did was promote there company name. i coundn’t use it to get marketing help or anything else.

I’ve invested over $13,000, so far. Now I have to send another $100, or we can’t proceed. I’m working to uphold my end of the contract, but have realized that I’ve been misinformed and mislead. Example: I was told that all designs would have to pass my approval. In actuality, I disagreed with the design, made notes on the approval I signed. I got a call that the design team refused to progress until they received an approval with no notations. I signed my contract feeling that this company had my best intrest in mind. I was wrong to do so. Even if I’m not entitled to any retribution, contact me if I can assist in this ordeal.

I have possession of my provisional patent application and the drawings from Davison. Included, also, is a photo of the prototype. It is not my design. It is the one THEY proposed several months ago. I had discussed in detail, with Gary Humes, the changes that needed made. I had also made notations on the design approval I had to sign in order to proceed. I next received a call from Gary stating that the design team would not move forward unless they obtained a signed approval WITHOUT notations. He assured me that they were clear on the revisions that I had proposed. I signed another approval,…without notations. The product remained unchanged and now I am expected to apply for a provisional patent on a poor design. ( cost=$100 ) I don’t know what to do. I was informed that I would be responsible for the costs of redesigning and producing another prototype. Given the current legal situation, is it in my best interest to suspend business with them?

I had the pleasure of testifying against Davison as a witness in the trial last year. I had already gotten most of my money back, thanks to a taped phone conversation I had with Davison that I could hold over his head, and I was able to force him to spend more than the amount he didn’t pay back by coming to my state to defend himself in court, which between travel costs and attorney fees must have run at least several thousand dollars. I can’t tell you how happy I am to see that he will have this judgement hanging over his head and following him for the rest of his life. According to the FTC attorneys, they can more or less seize anything he makes from here on out until the judgement is satisfied. Even if he decides to become a legitimate, honest businessman, they can take everything from his legitimate activities.

For those of you upthread speculating that you can force Davison or his company to provide any service of value, cut your losses and walk away. He is both dishonest and inept. Substituting a poor design, often one already in the public domain which can’t be patented and stands no chance of success in the market, is his MO. They don’t actually do any work at Davison’s firm, you see. It’s all about getting your money. They can’t help you market an idea because they have no intention of helping anyone other than themselves – to your money. That’s what made his scam so bad – even people with genuinely good ideas that have a chance of success in the market will never get their idea developed to the point that it will be produced and marketed working with Davison, because his firm will take a good idea and turn it into a crappy one that’s poorly presented to boot.

The trial was actually quite interesting. Prior to the trial, I was actually contacted by Davison’s attorneys, who apparently thought that I might be willing to provide information to help their client! I let them know that anything I had to say wasn’t going to be helpful to them and that he had made a very costly mistake by not returning all of my money.

When I took the stand, Davison and his brother had strategically situated themselves at the back of the courtroom where they would be directly in the line of sight of anyone testifying. I suppose they thought that this would intimidate witnesses, as if anyone would be intimidated by a couple of Smurfs. His attorney tried hectoring me; I responded by making sure I made the points I wanted to make, which just caused him to come back with “just answer the question yes or no!” I smiled sweetly and said, “would you please repeat the question, sir?” He tried to make a point of the fact that I cashed the refund check that Davison sent but never signed a release of my claim. “But you CASHED the check, didn’t you?” he said, in his most lawyerly-intimidating fashion. “Well, it WAS my money and your client never did anything to earn a penny of it, so why would I release him from returning it?” I replied. “Just answer yes or no!” “What was the question again, sir?” And so on, for about an hour. It was actually great fun to see George roasting on the spit.

Just one other thing to add about George: he wears bad shoes. Strictly low-class, all the way.

Helping to put George into the poorhouse was worth every penny I didn’t get back.

Thomas Gregory was titled, New Product Director. Lies lies lies. They preyed on lies of huge money returns, and promises of all their contacts with manufacturing companies that would do buyouts and or royalty services.

FTC Davison ruling (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/07/davison.shtm)

I've been had! :scary:

Brad77
01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by buck440
there was a commercial on tv like 10 years ago and some guys were camping in the woods and they heard a banjo play that tune and the guys ran and i asked my dad why they ran and he told my when i get older he would tell me...seen it a while back now i know why lol.

One time Peter Griffin and his family went camping and he sang this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgdvE6yyM0&feature=related

TheLane
01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Brad77
One time Peter Griffin and his family went camping and he sang this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgdvE6yyM0&feature=related

sodemeyheeeeeeee. :devil: oh brokeback mountain, the comedy thou hast inspired.

quadrider
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
I've been had! :scary: [/B][/QUOTE]

sorry man i been going through the same thing trying to get a product to market,, the best thing i can say is try to find a angel investor or partner with money to help you out. since i'm not a trust fund baby i been working for over 5 years trying to get my idea going.... just dont give up

buck440
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
sounds like chewbacca taking a ****!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46rTXK1G0tk