PDA

View Full Version : IPhone or Droid X

motomadman
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Getting a new Verizon phone and cant decide between Iphone and Droid X. The Droid seems to be just as good without having to run itunes and all that crap. Can anyone with experience recommend one or the other and explain? Thanks

Ellingsoc26
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Go with an android phone but if you can wait they will have another round of phones that will be able to use the 4G which long term would be better than the droid X and iphone as they wont be able to use it. That is what i would do

Sjorge450R
01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I am a huge cell phone junkie. I research everything and I try my best to get my hands on everything. That being said. The Droid X is a joke...that is compared to the Incredible. Motorola should go back to making Razrs. The iphone, well. Im not gonna get into talking about how underpowered and under resourced that thing is. Go droid and dont look back.

On a side note. I dont use either of these as personal phones. I still to my Blackberry because I can go three+ days without charging while using it all the time.

sexysilverado45
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
HTC incredible or wait on the code named HTC "thunderbolt" its supposed have dual 1.2 ghz processors and an 8 mp front and rear facing cams. O and 4g

ProspectorJim
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I'd wait for the 4g phones due out around february. Even then, do not go iphone, it's a complete joke compared to most of the droid lineup. There are apps for the droid that allow you to sync to itunes by the way.

ben300
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
personally, ive had the original droid, and i have the droid x now, and im am completely happy with the x it terms of is functionalilty and performance. the htc is a nice phone and performs equally as well.

id wait for a short bit. there will be a new round of phones coming out here in the spring. supposidly motorola is coming out with the droid bionic which has a dual core processor...that alone will make it better than any iphone.

rubbersdown
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
droid over iphone for sure. My wife has a droid 2 and loves it. I have 3 fiends with iphone 4's and they HATE them.

jrspawn
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Just like quads, when it comes to cell phones ive had a couple:D I have owned almost every HTC phone from the 8125 up. Same goes for alot of other PDA's.

I can give an Honest review from someone that has actually owned and used the phones(not just internet research and my friend/family stuff....).

Im about as anti apple as can be... But i sucked it up when the different model iphones came out buying them. Little by little they improved. But with that said the iphone 4 has been the best choice for a fully functional phone.

I have had NO issues what so ever out of the two i own( i bought both a 16 and 32gig). Everything works flawless, and the app store for apple blows all others out of the water when it comes to selection.

I cant honestly think of any areas i like the droid x over the iphone, at all!

Now HTC, yes in certain areas they may be better.... But as an overall my vote goes in for the Iphone 4. For what its worth anyways.

Justin

evan402
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Ive had my iphone for over a year now. I like it but wouldn't recommend it to others, the service is terrible and at&t is a joke, but i get mine thru my work so i wont complain much. i would recommend waiting a couple months if you can and go for something 4g.

jrspawn
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by evan402
Ive had my iphone for over a year now. I like it but wouldn't recommend it to others, the service is terrible and at&t is a joke, but i get mine thru my work so i wont complain much. i would recommend waiting a couple months if you can and go for something 4g.

Which model?

JJs450r
01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
i have iphone the ole lady has droid x and i kinda like hers better

ProspectorJim
01-13-2011, 04:48 PM
there honestly is no point in getting a verizon iphone right now. If you really want one, i'd wait until the 4g version comes out in February.

If you want a nice phone that's simple to use out of the box and aren't looking for ways to unlock features and improve the phone get the iphone.

If you want to have a phone that's not terribly hard to figure out, but has tons of features that can be unlocked with the right know how, get the droid.

As for the marketplaces, The droid marketplace is outgrowing the apple marketplace and will soon be larger. This is due to the tools for making apps on the Android OS being open source meaning they can be used by everyone. To make apps for the apple market place, you have to use a mac. Also since, sales of Android phones are overshadowing iphone sales, most developers are now making versions of their apps for the droid and iphone.

Kickstarts-suck
01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Droid X!

I just got a Droid 2 global and my mom got the X. Both are amazing phones.

jrspawn
01-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Good comparison with facts.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199844/iphone_4_vs_droid_x_a_headtohead_comparison.html

motomadman
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
[i]

If you want to have a phone that's not terribly hard to figure out, but has tons of features that can be unlocked with the right know how, get the droid.

[/B]

What kind of features can be unlocked?

RATPACK Z400
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Not big on phones and how they work,but i just got sprint ,and its an Intercept(samsung) thats a 3g andriod? is it a good phone to have ? looks pretty cool just trying to figure out how to use it !

sexysilverado45
01-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by motomadman
What kind of features can be unlocked?

If your asking about android it can be rooted most android's are easy to do except for Motorola from what iv read because a boot locker but can still be done and once you open the android up it can be even more endless than it already is. You over or under clock the CPU to speed up your phone, or save your battery also a ton of custom themes and lock screen. Many many things my friend many things I personally haven't on my incredible even though there is a one click and your rooted way to do it I believe I like mine the way it is

I'd you want more info visit phandroid . Com ahome site to read up on they also have all the rumored Androids that are coming out.

Ellingsoc26
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I have my htc desire rooted and custom OS installed and my buddy with a iphone kicks himself for getting an iphone

wykyd450R
01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I have a like new htc incredible ( verizon ) I am not using. I'd be willing to sell or trade it if anyone is interested. Pm me if interested or have an offer.

sexysilverado45
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Also when rooted you can install leaked new and upcoming o.s that aren't yet

ricksmx865
01-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Ellingsoc26
I have my htc desire rooted and custom OS installed and my buddy with a iphone kicks himself for getting an iphone

I need to figure out how to do this ****... i'd love this phone if it wasnt so damn slow

99_300ex
01-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I have a droid and really like it a lot. But I was wondering how many different droid styles are there like I'm hearing the droid x and droid 2? Are those the only two or what?

ProspectorJim
01-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 99_300ex
I have a droid and really like it a lot. But I was wondering how many different droid styles are there like I'm hearing the droid x and droid 2? Are those the only two or what?

There are tons of different phones operating with the android system.

99_300ex
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I understand there are a lot of different phones on the system but is there just one main droid system?

ProspectorJim
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 99_300ex
I understand there are a lot of different phones on the system but is there just one main droid system?

its just one operating system yes, but different versions.

sexysilverado45
01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
one Droid o.s many kinds of it their is android 1.5,1.6,2.0,2.1,2.2 and soon to be 2.4 is what their calling gingerbread.

2.1 = eclair
2.2 = froyo
2.3/2.4 gingerbread(in the works)
2.4-3.0 honeycomb (rumored)

madsmokey12
01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I phone 4 All day long don't get me Wrong the droid is nice but it don't hold a candle to the Iphone and the Droid is Way to Big

madskrillz2
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Well I have the Samsung Captivate and love it. Tons of stuff on it. I've had it for 3 months and I'm just now realizing what it's capable of

chucked
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
my iphone 4 works great, I wouldnt recommend the 3g or 3gs. Ive had no issues at all, the battery lasts all day using it. I have a friend that is a hardcore droid user and will be switching to the iphone once it comes out for verizon.

Ellingsoc26
01-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ricksmx865
I need to figure out how to do this ****... i'd love this phone if it wasnt so damn slow

Its not that hard once you get root it is kinda easy i now have gingerbread running on my phone but its still the beta verison but so far everything is working good. If you want i can provide you the link to site where you can learn how to do it but it will void your warranty.

To answer the dudes question on the droids thing. Verizon names all their android phones Droid whatever as a marketing thing so all their android phones will be droid whatever thats why everyone gets confused.

Edit: 3.0 will be fore tablets only and 2.3 aka gingerbread is for phones

kbnorth99
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
I have used both. Here's the big difference. If what you want to do with the device fits within what Apple has setup then the Iphone is great. If you want to do things that aren't part of the Apple design then you are pretty much screwed. You can hack the phone but that still may not help.

Droid is an operating system and the phones are made by many different companies like Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc. The Droid OS has substantially more options available. You can configure it pretty much how ever you want because everything is configurable. Now that is great but it does mean that you need to understand how to configure what you want. Most of it is very easy and non technical people can figure it out very easily. Plus more technical people can take the options even further.

So overall if you are a non-technical person they are pretty even just pick the one that seems easy to use for you. If you are a little more advanced the Iphone becomes restrictive pretty quickly. Either way DO NOT sign up with AT&T. The coverage is the worst in the industry and their "Fastest Network" is only fast if you can get a strong signal.

Ellingsoc26
01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Its android is the OS, Droid is the stupid name that Verizon thought would be fun to confuse everyone with.