PDA

View Full Version : I....Hate dealerships...

TheLane
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
bought a 2010 outlaw 450 last month.. third time in the shop...

first was the recall for backfiring, second was when the plastic THEY cracked from overtightening came in. Now im taking it down there because its leaking oil so bad it drained my rezzy and the clutch is sticking.

now they told me when i dropped it off it MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be covered under warranty!!

i damn near lost it! i bought the thing a month and a half ago and they are telling me it might not be covered???!!!!:mad: ...

...i think i should go get a beer

rpfeifer11
01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Polaris. :rolleyes:

honda400ex2003
01-12-2011, 10:10 PM
x2 sign me up for one of those babies... really sounds like a quality machine you have there. lol dealerships blow most of the time. if you do find one make sure you let them know it, otherwise they turn into the bad one anyway. i would say that if they dont warr it, call polaris up and report the dealership along with fighting the case. steve

chucked
01-13-2011, 05:26 AM
Its not up to the dealer if its warrantied or not. Its up to polaris. The dealer gets paid either way.

smr
01-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by chucked
Its not up to the dealer if its warrantied or not. Its up to polaris. The dealer gets paid either way.

yes and no..the dealer can really influence the manufacturer. I was sponsored by a dealer once. Seen a dealer cover under warranty a totaled out quad. The guy crashed and destroyed it. The dealer told the manufacturer that the crash was caused by a faulty shock. They covered it.

chucked
01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Exactly, theyre not gonna make it so they wont fix it.

jesshamner
01-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Are you people serious? The guy comes on here venting about a stealership and all you can do is blame it on the brand of quad the guy bought. Polaris used to have a reputation but I am more than confident that they have improved reliability.

It is absolutely up to the dealership if they want to warranty something. They make the decision and send it in to the manufacturer. At that point, the mfg might review and say no but usually trust the dealership unless they are making a lot of costly claims. The manufacturer knows exactly what their failure rate is. And you can bet the farm on that.

My last comment is to the original poster. Why are you letting the dealership work on your quad for something like a backfire issue? Please tell me its because you didn't know any better. Learn to change the jets in the carb yourself. It isn't that hard. If it wasn't jetting, do some research and figure it out. It will make you a better person, rider, and mechanic. It will also eliminate the possibility of low quality assurance that you get from a dealer mechanic (ie: not correctly installing items such as plastic hardware and oil plugs.)

TheLane
01-13-2011, 09:47 AM
thanks for the post, there was a factory recall on milling down the header pipe due to a leak. So i took it to the dealer to have it done under warranty.

Quad18star
01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jesshamner
It is absolutely up to the dealership if they want to warranty something. They make the decision and send it in to the manufacturer. At that point, the mfg might review and say no but usually trust the dealership unless they are making a lot of costly claims. The manufacturer knows exactly what their failure rate is. And you can bet the farm on that.

My last comment is to the original poster. Why are you letting the dealership work on your quad for something like a backfire issue? Please tell me its because you didn't know any better. Learn to change the jets in the carb yourself. It isn't that hard. If it wasn't jetting, do some research and figure it out. It will make you a better person, rider, and mechanic. It will also eliminate the possibility of low quality assurance that you get from a dealer mechanic (ie: not correctly installing items such as plastic hardware and oil plugs.)

I'm going to bet that he took it to the dealership because after a month of riding he's been having issues such as the backfiring. It is up to the dealership to properly adjust the jetting for their climate and altitude ... not up to the owner.

Most manufacturers offer a 6 month warranty of their products including sport ATVs.... modifying something such as the jetting on your own could cause a costly mistake if something decides to let go within the engine that is not jetting related. But since you modified the jetting ( take a look at the carb , the dealership/factory marks the screws with paint toverify that jetting wasn't altered), well then you're S.O.L.

I'm all for learning to do your own mechanical work, but if you want to retain your warranty, only play around with the internals after your warranty is up ... because then you know you take responsibility for any damage that is caused .

To the O.P. if your dealership doesn't want to rectify the issues, contact another dealer in the area and see if they'll check it out. If that is not an option call the area Polaris representative ( you can obtain their number from the dealership) or call Polaris headquarters and explain the situation and problems you're receiving from your dealer.

jesshamner
01-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'm going to bet that he took it to the dealership because after a month of riding he's been having issues such as the backfiring. It is up to the dealership to properly adjust the jetting for their climate and altitude ... not up to the owner.

Most manufacturers offer a 6 month warranty of their products including sport ATVs.... modifying something such as the jetting on your own could cause a costly mistake if something decides to let go within the engine that is not jetting related. But since you modified the jetting ( take a look at the carb , the dealership/factory marks the screws with paint toverify that jetting wasn't altered), well then you're S.O.L.

I'm all for learning to do your own mechanical work, but if you want to retain your warranty, only play around with the internals after your warranty is up ... because then you know you take responsibility for any damage that is caused .

To the O.P. if your dealership doesn't want to rectify the issues, contact another dealer in the area and see if they'll check it out. If that is not an option call the area Polaris representative ( you can obtain their number from the dealership) or call Polaris headquarters and explain the situation and problems you're receiving from your dealer.

I agree with everything you said here. Something like milling the header is beyond most riders capability anyway. As far as jetting causing the void in warranty, it would be easy to put the factory jet back in before one would take it back in for service.

TheLane
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
ah thats good advice, thank you for the tips. i will definitely try that if they dont want to warranty it.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree with everything you said here. Something like milling the header is beyond most riders capability anyway. As far as jetting causing the void in warranty, it would be easy to put the factory jet back in before one would take it back in for service.

They usually mark the screws so they will know if you've been in there or not. So no, it's not that easy. I think both of your hosts we're completely useless info.

I agree with Greg on this one, call up the local Polaris rep if you have more trouble.

jesshamner
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
They usually mark the screws so they will know if you've been in there or not. So no, it's not that easy. I think both of your hosts we're completely useless info.

I agree with Greg on this one, call up the local Polaris rep if you have more trouble.

You think they mark every bolt on a quad to see if someone has unbolted parts?

Oh and BTW, thanks for the contructive criticism.

rubbersdown
01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
You think they mark every bolt on a quad to see if someone has unbolted parts?

Oh and BTW, thanks for the contructive criticism.

No, the marks that are on the bolts are to indicate that they were properly torqued at the factory. They torque the bolt to spec then put a paint dab on it to mark that its been torqued and then go on to the next one. ATV manufacturers do not mark bolts to make sure people dont work on their own bikes. The only companies that do that are factory companies. Back in 01 I had an 01 cr250 pro circuit factory bike that i raced and when the motor came from pro circuit it had bolt tags and case/gasket markers all over it to make sure that no one besides them opened that motor. Only time Ive ever seen that.

TheLane
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah either way id rather learn how to work on bikes on a not brand new machine! juuust in case i mess something up. :D

Quad18star
01-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
Yeah either way id rather learn how to work on bikes on a not brand new machine! juuust in case i mess something up. :D

Good thinking. ;)