PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cams...

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Ok... I know hotcams stage 2 are good and all, but Iv heard bad things about them in the past about breaking and or getting the wrong one... So my question is this, have they cleaned up there act yet? Or are there still problems with the cams. I am thinking about purchasing one, but I dont want to waste my money on something of poor quality... So have they worked the bugs out of there cams yet? Thanks in advance.. (I know eryone is sick of hearing about cams) sorry.

02-12-2003, 06:36 PM
It's a hard decision I know...XR's only sells them and stands by them,,but call about 4 respectable engine builders and they'll tell you there junk and they'd never drop them in a motor they build.. I"m just as lost as you..I've come to the conclusion of leaving my motor as is with 416 piston and XR400 cam and droppin in a custom FCR 40mm carb...:eek:

jchevy
02-12-2003, 06:48 PM
I am having an issue right now with the flange that has to be pressed on in order to hold the timing gear on. The cam has been in the motor about a month and that flange has come loose. I called hotcams about it and they seem to be willing to help. They said they will exchange it for me even though i bought this cam from another member. It was never used though.

We'll see what happens, i talked with the guy about exchanging it for a stage 2 instead of another stage 1 and he said they may be able to do it. SO far the service seems good.

Right now they are out of stage one and two, they said they will have more in a couple weeks.

Ill keep you guys updated.

I have been very happy with the cam though!

Ex'r Marlin
02-12-2003, 07:01 PM
WOW... Glad to hear the response you got Jchevy from Hotcam!:cool:

I don't know for a fact, but I would think by now they would have their act together.

I do know someone that got one of the first Hotcam stage 1 that was not to spec. Lenny (440ex4me). I too have heard some issues some of our fellow Exriders.com have had.

If it means anything, my stage 2 Hotcam is and has been doing fine for seven months now. As for the quality of the Hotcam... I give it a thumbs up!:)

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Rico... Im thinking of a high compression stock bore piston (JE 10.8:1) With an XR400 cam (Honda Made how can i go wrong) and a Edelbrock 39mm carb... Do you think this sounds like a good setup? Big power increase? I dont race, i just want that extra punch for the trails. Thanks

Dan

jchevy
02-12-2003, 07:57 PM
I run a 10.5-1 ross standard bore piston with a stage 1 hotcam and i can consitantly beat raptors.

I think that setup would be nice, im not sure but i believe the stage 1 hotcam is a bit more agressive than the xr400 cam and its a lot cheaper too. I think the stage one is perfect for trail riding, gave a nice power increase all through the rpms with the high compression piston.

I think im having trouble with this cam because even though it hasnt been in the bike long i think it was manufactured awhile ago. WHen i talked with hotcams today they were aware of the problem and from what i understood have corrected it.

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks alot man.... Rico??? What do u have to say? lol:huh

YZROOSTINYA
02-13-2003, 05:22 AM
stage 2 no probs, 4 months over 50 hours

talk to tony at hotcam

DantheEXman
02-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Bumperoo.... need more input:rolleyes:

luvmyex
02-13-2003, 08:07 PM
jchevy how did you relize the flange came loose?what made you open it up and look at it?noise or what?

Ralph
02-13-2003, 08:39 PM
rico, dont u have a webcam?

desertsandrider
02-18-2003, 03:51 PM
i was in the valve cover of mine last week...i noticed the flange was loose on mine too.....i figured it has always been that way...not causing a problem, so i am leaving it in there....it can't come off.

Nick

jchevy
02-18-2003, 04:15 PM
It cant come off but can cause the timing chain to wear out, which could cause it to break. You dont want your timing chain to break. Talk to Hotcams, if they are willing to replace it there is no reason not to.

raptor_02
02-18-2003, 04:55 PM
i had my mind made up on a HOTCAM but now i guess i'm going to go with something else. I want lots of power but don't want hard faced rockers and stiffer valve springs. I think i might try the Sparks drop in cam.

la400ex
02-18-2003, 05:29 PM
I just checked my cam and my flange had came lose. Could that have anything with the rod breaking?? I dont think it would but im tryin to find out what happened to my motor.

jchevy
02-18-2003, 05:37 PM
I think the only thing the loose flange would do is break the timing chain or cause excesive wear to the chain and the sprocket. And actually once the bike heats up, the flange tightens up on the cam and wont come loose again untill it cools down.

02-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
Rico... Im thinking of a high compression stock bore piston (JE 10.8:1) With an XR400 cam (Honda Made how can i go wrong) and a Edelbrock 39mm carb... Do you think this sounds like a good setup? Big power increase? I dont race, i just want that extra punch for the trails. Thanks

Dan

You'll look like this--->:D On your first ride out after you got it broke in...:eek:

The setup you mentioned will be reliable as can be..and that's what I'm looking into also. I know you'll be happy with that setup...

la400ex
02-18-2003, 06:27 PM
I didnt think it would but couldnt hurt to ask. Thanks, Ant.

JD400exrider
02-18-2003, 07:36 PM
That is the set up i have herd is one of the most reliable. I too am looking into putting in a xr 400 cam and a 10.8:1 je piston. I should be able to run normal fuel. No race gas right? Just supreme octain. The xr 400 cam is more expensive, although for the little power lost if any i would rather have the honda reliablity.

VegasEx'r
02-18-2003, 10:39 PM
I will throw in my .02 here. I bought/installed a stage 2 in my 400 & a stage 1 in my friends Raptor when they first came out, so we both have about 90-100 hours on them. Neither quad has had any problems, and they both run great. I don't know what problems others have had with them, but from my experience, they are a great cam.

Also, I did have an xr cam in my quad until the stage 2. The xr cam really wakes up the motor, but the stage 2 is even better, so FWIW, if you are trying to decide between the xr & stage 2, I'd recommend the stage 2.

JD400exrider
02-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Hey Vegas, When you had your XR cam did you have your head ported and polished and the 416 piston also. or did you do that when you added the stage 2 hot cam. I'm sure the porting and polishing made a big difference. Am i going to see a good amount of power increase with a stock 10,8:1 piston and XR cam.

I don't race but looking for a more power in the trails

UglyMotha™
02-19-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by jchevy
I think the only thing the loose flange would do is break the timing chain or cause excesive wear to the chain and the sprocket. And actually once the bike heats up, the flange tightens up on the cam and wont come loose again untill it cools down.

:huh :huh "the only thing it will do is break the the chain" what if the cam is left in a position that the exhaust valves or intake valves are still open and the piston comes up, that's goin to do some nasty and possibly some costly damage will it not

jchevy
02-19-2003, 08:43 AM
uglymotha,

The cam is in there in such a way that it cant skip any teeth or anthing, all it does is wobble side to side slightly. So its not going anywhere till that chain breaks. So there is no way for the timing to be affected by it.

YZROOSTINYA
02-19-2003, 09:06 AM
I just took my head off last night to put in a xr head gasket and send my head to get ported by pro fab

57.9 hours on my top end and the cam looks brand new along with my cylinder. my flange is tight on my cam and was pressed on when took it off the ex cam.

my hotcam 2 has been no problem

UglyMotha™
02-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jchevy
uglymotha,

The cam is in there in such a way that it cant skip any teeth or anthing, all it does is wobble side to side slightly. So its not going anywhere till that chain breaks. So there is no way for the timing to be affected by it.

no no, way off what i'm saying is if that if the chain breaks the cam is goin to come to a dead stop and if stops where the valves are left open the crank still will have momentum and it's goin to come up and smack the valves which causes some nasty damage

i was just adding to what you said cause you said the only thing that will happen is it will break the chain but it's not if the chain breaks it can cause a domino effect of disasters

jchevy
02-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Sorry i miss read your post, i agree with you 100% if the chain breaks your screwed. Thats why everyone who has has problem needs to contact hotcams.

UglyMotha™
02-19-2003, 09:15 AM
i agree;)

VegasEx'r
02-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Hey Vegas, When you had your XR cam did you have your head ported and polished and the 416 piston also. or did you do that when you added the stage 2 hot cam. I'm sure the porting and polishing made a big difference. Am i going to see a good amount of power increase with a stock 10,8:1 piston and XR cam.

I don't race but looking for a more power in the trails

I installed the xr cam when I put in the 416 piston. That really wakes up the motor. Once the Hot Cam came out I put that in & rode it like that for about 6 weeks. Another big difference in power. Then I had the port & polish done, and that of course helped it out even more. That was the order I had stuff done in.

DantheEXman
02-19-2003, 01:58 PM
You'll look like this---> On your first ride out after you got it broke in...

Rico. So Now i just read that the Wiesco 11:1 compression piston is more like a 10.5:1 JE(... According to Micky Dunlap of Four Stroke Tech...) so would it be just as good/reliable with the wiesco 11:1 instead of the JE? THNAKS

JD400exrider
02-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the help vegas

kj400
02-19-2003, 09:21 PM
like vegas ex'r i ran the xr 400 cam then switched to the stage 2. my head was ported and polished w/both cams and i also ran the fcr w/ both cams the stage 2 is a huge difference over the xr, but if you really want an xr i got one with about 30hrs on it for 65.00 but with running both the stage 2 is the way to go , imo.

good luck