PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Your old stators and CDIs

wilkin250r
01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm looking into the possibility of developing a new ignition for the 250r. Hopefully, I can marry the 250r and CR250 ignition systems in one cheap and convenient package.

But I gotta do research, first.

So what I'm looking for is junk stators that I can tear apart and rewind. They don't necessarily have to be working.

I also need CDIs, and because I just plan to rip them apart, they also don't need to be working.

I can't afford to just go buy several new sets of ignition systems, or even even several used sets, just to rip them apart. So this is where I'm asking for YOUR help.

So basically, I'm willing to pay shipping for you to send me your junk.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Now wonder where ol Teamgeeks is at, so he could make this easier for you.

You remember him from Mac Dizzy ??.
Neil

01shee
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
I have a stator and flywheel I would let go. 15 shipped should get them there.

wilkin250r
01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Now wonder where ol Teamgeeks is at, so he could make this easier for you.

You remember him from Mac Dizzy ??.
Neil

Yes, I do, but vaguely. I thought it was great to see another electrical guy on there, I was really hoping to learn a thing or two from him.

Is Macdizzy board even running anymore? You can still find a lot of the information off his site if you search around, but I haven't seen anything about the forums.

wilkin250r
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 01shee
I have a stator and flywheel I would let go. 15 shipped should get them there.

Sounds good.

I'm kinda jumping the gun here, my research grant doesn't come in for another couple days, so we'll discuss the details at the end of this week, or the beginning of next.

01shee
01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Sounds good. What would be even better would be to intergrade a reverse in to the timing like snow mobiles. After i parted my R out i got a 05 400ex and i kinda got used to the revese. But know im back on a R I kind my self looking for reverse.

wilkin250r
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 01shee
Sounds good. What would be even better would be to intergrade a reverse in to the timing like snow mobiles. After i parted my R out i got a 05 400ex and i kinda got used to the revese. But know im back on a R I kind my self looking for reverse.

I'm gonna look into that, I've got a lot of different directions I can go with this. My first goal is to get a better ignition, see if I can rewind the stator to use a CR250 CDI and coil. Depending on my results with that, I'll pursue that avenue heavily, or I'll shift my focus to a complete new CDI design, and at that point I'll see if I can incorporate a reverse.

rsss396
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I think the engine reverse is a proprietary thing at least for a while.

Teamgeek6 has a page here and e-mail :
http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/2stroke.html#ignition

GL1200harness@yahoo.com

I not sure if any of the analog cdi's will help you much since it probably would not be any harder to make a digital cdi.

there are allot schematics on the net for different cdi's

But really MSD has a programmable CDI for 300.00 with software

http://www.msdpowersports.com/single_cylinder.html

it needs a battery to start but will run off the lighting circuit once its running.

you can buy ultra lightweight a123 battery's that can be charged off the lighting circuit to keep them charged.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32323

wilkin250r
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by rsss396

GL1200harness@yahoo.com

That's Teamgeek? That sucks, I've already tried to ask him a few questions, and he got angry with me because I wasn't at his level of knowledge. My expertise is in magnetics, not ignition (they don't offer a "Single Cylinder Ignition Systems" course in college). I think he thought I wasn't worth his time.

Looks like I'm on my own with this one.

rsss396
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Ya that's him, he use to be pretty cool to talk to but kind of turned into a prick.
I guess that's why he doesn't hang around to the forums anymore.

Good luck with your project!

C-LEIGH RACING
01-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Yes, I do, but vaguely. I thought it was great to see another electrical guy on there, I was really hoping to learn a thing or two from him.

Is Macdizzy board even running anymore? You can still find a lot of the information off his site if you search around, but I haven't seen anything about the forums.

Yes, it is still going strong.
We've lost some members because it is a pay site now, $10.59 a year.
Some of the old member are slowly coming back & we have picked up a bunch on new ones.
Beleave it or not, even have a 4 stroke & For Sale forum.

Teamgeeks6 was coming to 250r .net for awhile. Screen name was Geekers though over there. I've always has good conversations with him, never a problem at all & you know me, I'm dumber than a wet stick.
Neil

Fear250r
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Wilkin, I think I've got a junk cdi. I'll look for it this weekend. If I do, I'd be more than happy to send it your way to help with the cause.

Jesse

jcs003
01-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by rsss396
I think the engine reverse is a proprietary thing at least for a while.

GL1200harness@yahoo.com

I not sure if any of the analog cdi's will help you much since it probably would not be any harder to make a digital cdi.

there are allot schematics on the net for different cdi's

But really MSD has a programmable CDI for 300.00 with software

http://www.msdpowersports.com/single_cylinder.html

it needs a battery to start but will run off the lighting circuit once its running.

you can buy ultra lightweight a123 battery's that can be charged off the lighting circuit to keep them charged.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32323

i asked about this a while ago. no one had a clear answer if this guy was legit or not. i guess if neil says hes ok, i guess i might risk the $150.

wilkin, i might have a non working CDI laying around.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
i asked about this a while ago. no one had a clear answer if this guy was legit or not. i guess if neil says hes ok, i guess i might risk the $150.

wilkin, i might have a non working CDI laying around.

It has been a good while since I have talked to him, like a couple years or so, but I've never had any problem talking back & forth.
Neil

wilkin250r
01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, to his credit, his first email was really nice and incredibly helpful. I was really optimistic after his first email.

When I replied back that I really only knew the basics of ignition systems, and I was looking to learn more, he kinda shut down.

Maybe he thought, when I said "basics" that I was saying I only know the basics of electricity. I know electricity backwards, forwards, and upside down. I've just never had the chance to study ignition systems.

wilkin250r
01-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, it is still going strong.
We've lost some members because it is a pay site now, $10.59 a year.
Some of the old member are slowly coming back & we have picked up a bunch on new ones.
Beleave it or not, even have a 4 stroke & For Sale forum.

I'll have to get back in.

wilkin250r
01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Ready to roll.

Troy, your money is sent already.

jcs003, Fear250r, CDIs are what I need the most, even if they're not working, I want to get an idea of HOW everything in the CDI is put together to handle the vibrations associated with quads. I can probably find a basic CDI circuit schematic, but then I'd be on my own to work out the mechanicals. It will be much easier if I can get some ideas from an existing CDI.

01shee, I've got $15 with your name on it, just tell me where to send it.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-19-2011, 10:35 AM
From what I remember from geeks, those 250R cdi boxes are filled with a rubber like stuff, filling in all around the working parts inside & then epoxy on the bottom to seal it completely.
Its not just a mater of opening up the box, it is cleaning, picking all that poured in rubber stuff from around everything.

Years back, geeks had pics & details of all he did to the old 250R ignition system to make it good & if it wasnt for all those connectors in the harness, there wouldnt be any problems with the old 250R ignition.
Neil

wilkin250r
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
From what I remember from geeks, those 250R cdi boxes are filled with a rubber like stuff, filling in all around the working parts inside & then epoxy on the bottom to seal it completely.
Its not just a mater of opening up the box, it is cleaning, picking all that poured in rubber stuff from around everything.

Years back, geeks had pics & details of all he did to the old 250R ignition system to make it good & if it wasnt for all those connectors in the harness, there wouldnt be any problems with the old 250R ignition.
Neil

If that's true, this is going to be easier than I thought, I figured it was 100% epoxy all the way. That's why I was thinking I needed a bunch of CDIs, because the epoxy was never going to come out clean without breaking something.

I've removed epoxy-enclosed electronics before, and it's never pretty or easy, but it can be done. If it's encased mainly in rubber, this will go a lot more smoothly.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Geeks had a pic of one he was taking apart years ago on Mac Dizzy, & if I was compairing it to something else, it would be like picking a whole mouth full of chewing gum out of your kids hair.

If I remember right, reason he took the cdi box apart, was to soilder the wires direct to the connection points instead of them hooking to those little male pins.
Neil

wilkin250r
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Anybody got a bum crankshaft?

I've gotta mount a stator and flywheel to a motor and spin it. I could probably machine a shaft to put the flywheel on, but I'd have to pay a machine shop to do it. Or, I can get s bum crankshaft and pull the shaft off it, which I can do myself.

2-330s
01-23-2011, 04:51 AM
i have a bum crank i can send you. let me know the addy i'll let you know what shipping is.

wilkin250r
01-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Erik Wilkin
1204 Jacobsen Lane
Gardnerville, NV 89410

2-330s
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
pm sent