PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex on a weight loss

400exshop
01-12-2011, 06:05 AM
This is what we have done to lose weight on the 400ex. Keep in mind this Quad will not be for jumping any more.
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics124.jpg

befor

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics121.jpg

after

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics122.jpg

befor

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics118.jpg

after

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics120.jpg

400exshop
01-12-2011, 06:10 AM
More pics and a vid.

This was cut off the stearing steam.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics117.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/400ex%20cut%20up/Erics065.jpg
befor
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/400ex%20cut%20up/Erics058.jpg
after
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/Erics120.jpg
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid825.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fzz179%2Fericcrip%2FErics127.mp4">

3400ben
01-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Turn it in to a single arm. Cut your top arm off right in Front of the shock support. Than weld it to the support. You might need a cross bars. You drop the weight of the a-arms, shock mount and bolts

brokenmike
01-14-2011, 06:50 AM
I dont think what you did on the front a-arms is safe at all. But it is your quad

Honda#4
01-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I dont think what you did on the front a-arms is safe at all. But it is your quad

X2, Not being rude but I'd consider buying some cheap drag arms.

250ex_dan
01-14-2011, 08:40 AM
have any pics of the overall 400?

trailrider894
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Not trying to be rude. but....I just have a hard time imagining what will happen if he ever crashes or hits a bump... There is 0 suspension and zero support except the main frame tubing. The thing will buckle, bend, and break everything. Sorry man, its just not worth it to me.

NacsMXer
01-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Not trying to be rude. but....I just have a hard time imagining what will happen if he ever crashes or hits a bump... There is 0 suspension and zero support except the main frame tubing. The thing will buckle, bend, and break everything. Sorry man, its just not worth it to me.

Looks like this is going to be a drag only quad now though.

trailrider894
01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Looks like this is going to be a drag only quad now though.

kinda caught that with the tires and all. lol but thanks for the FYI. I still would worry about it anyway... I've seen drag racers crash.... :rolleyes:

01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
i wouldnt touch that quad with a 10ft pole

JOHNDOE83
01-14-2011, 02:44 PM
People do stuff like this all the time on www.atvdragracers.com

evan402
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
i dont understand why people do this but to each his own. Everyone has fun in different ways i guess

NacsMXer
01-14-2011, 03:53 PM
kinda caught that with the tires and all. lol but thanks for the FYI. I still would worry about it anyway... I've seen drag racers crash.... :rolleyes:

True true. You got a point about the crashing thing. That frame would get tweaked a whole lot easier. At the same time it's their machine. If they want to sacrifice strength for weight and something gives later down the road as a result, then too bad lol. But for general drag use I don't see a huge strength concern.

rubbersdown
01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
True true. You got a point about the crashing thing. That frame would get tweaked a whole lot easier. At the same time it's their machine. If they want to sacrifice strength for weight and something gives later down the road as a result, then too bad lol. But for general drag use I don't see a huge strength concern. Agreed, but I still wouldnt trust that crazy jerry rigged square tube welded to the arm instead of a shock thing they got going on lol. Drag bikes wheelie all the time on the start, First time that thing wheelies and comes down hard its going to snap that weld or bend that tube. AT A MIN. they should use a round bar with heims on each end bolted to the stock shock mount locations (which they cut off) then It would have had adjustable ride height too which would have been a plus.

2001400exrida
01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Agreed, but I still wouldnt trust that crazy jerry rigged square tube welded to the arm instead of a shock thing they got going on lol. Drag bikes wheelie all the time on the start, First time that thing wheelies and comes down hard its going to snap that weld or bend that tube. AT A MIN. they should use a round bar with heims on each end bolted to the stock shock mount locations (which they cut off) then It would have had adjustable ride height too which would have been a plus.

good stretched out drag bikes do not wheelie. they typically have a wheelie bar or they are just raked out to where they will spin the tire before they will wheelie. I'm sure that support is plenty strong and for drag it looks like its gonna be much lighter and much stiffer. you don't want any front suspension at all when you drag if you're going for speed. haven't you guys ever ridden go carts? straight up no suspension at all and those cheap little things have held up to lots of abuse on my part.

i like you're ingenuity buddy, some of these people are very stubborn and set in there ways, i'd love to see how this goes down the track, there will be no squash or anything so it should rip right off the line!

take a look at an old harley hard tail. there's not much but a couple bars as part of the frame and it holds just fine, yeah it's a rough ride but it's not just gonna snap.

rubbersdown
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
good stretched out drag bikes do not wheelie. they typically have a wheelie bar or they are just raked out to where they will spin the tire before they will wheelie. I'm sure that support is plenty strong and for drag it looks like its gonna be much lighter and much stiffer. you don't want any front suspension at all when you drag if you're going for speed. haven't you guys ever ridden go carts? straight up no suspension at all and those cheap little things have held up to lots of abuse on my part.

i like you're ingenuity buddy, some of these people are very stubborn and set in there ways, i'd love to see how this goes down the track, there will be no squash or anything so it should rip right off the line!

take a look at an old harley hard tail. there's not much but a couple bars as part of the frame and it holds just fine, yeah it's a rough ride but it's not just gonna snap.

Sure it wont wheelie if it was super stretched with a huge swinger and a stretched frame. This 400 has a stock geo. frame and a swinger that looks like its around +4- +6. The 400 has engine mods, is 40lb's lighter then stock AND has a shot of nitrous. It IS or at least SHOULD wheelie off the start. Shifter carts dont wheelie because there center of gravity is 4 inches off the ground. Take a quad thats a couple feet off the ground, lighten it up and stick some nos on it and you bet yur *** its gunna wheelie off the start.

I know alot of drag bikes dont have suspension, thats just fine. I just said that they should beef up that bar more because I doubt that peice of 1" square tubing (which judging by the sharpness of the edges is 14gauge at best) is not going to hold the front end of that 340lb quad if it ever comes down hard. It either needs to be beefed up or rock a wheelie bar.

Look at any drag bike at a strip, be it nitro harley or sport bike, suspension or not, they almost all at least pop the front wheels off the ground at some point.

2001400exrida
01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
i'm not sure what picture you're looking at but this quad is not even close to a couple feet off the ground and it has nothing close to stock geo dude haha. Are you just arguing to argue or have you even looked at the photos?

the swinger is totally stretched, it looks homemade. that is gonna help a ton to keep the front down.

I've been watching motorcycles at the strip for years, the wheels come off and they come back down with no suspension, it'll be ok dude, you obviously have no frame of reference here.

again, i love the ingenuity no matter what these people say if you've got experience that bar is gonna hold folks. unless he did a poor weld on it.

rubbersdown
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
That frame looks to be 100% stock geometry. The frame itself does not appear to be stretched at all. Just the swinger, as I said. He can do what he wants and you can think what you want, you always do. I aint gunna argue, I was just putting in my .02, I have been doing automotive and structural metal fabrication for years, building everything from 100hp drag quads to a 1,300hp turbo charged 64 ford falcon and i would NEVER trust that thin gauge square metal tube to hold my whole front end together, its just not smart and pretty dangerous to boot.

2001400exrida
01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
to each their own rubbers, over the internet i'm sure you are a 1385223 year drag quad builder, but in real life i'd beg to differ :) u do realize that most drag front ends are square tubing,

BenHonda400ex
01-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Nice! I wonder if this thing can do a wheelie? Haha

slightlybent47
01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
A bad looking weld can still be a good strong weld, and the square tubing he used may be thick enough to hold up. Even though it looks like crap it doesn’t mean it will break.
Even if he wheelies some, and coming down on soft sandy drag track under power and the front end is not likely to slam down too hard anyway.
If I did the welding and trusted the strength then I would ride it. But if you said hey come ride my bike for me and I took one look at that, there no way I would ride it.

Rubbersdown had a good idea with the heims joint suggestion.

416racer
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
can he remove the battery?

beags86
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
ha ha this is funny, i have been waitin for everyone to start complaining about what this guy did to his quad...lol i just looked it and thought... at least i know what happens when you give a redneck a grinder...

bherriman
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Man I just don't get people on this site. I've been a member less than a year and I honestly can't see why anyone "new " would even post. It seems you guys all have some sort of complex and treat everyone with less than 1000 posts like garbage. I thought this was a place to learn and share your quad. This guy posts up what he has done to his quad and he gets bombarded with how awful it is. Maybe his quad isn't you cup of tea and thats fine, just keep it to yourself.

rubbersdown
01-14-2011, 07:50 PM
to each their own rubbers, over the internet i'm sure you are a 1385223 year drag quad builder, but in real life i'd beg to differ :) u do realize that most drag front ends are square tubing,

No, only 137 years smart *** lol jk. Its all good. Only been doing it (for money) about 8 years. Ive only fully built about 7 quads (2 drag, 2 flat track and 3 mx) a few cars and about 60+ motorcycles (dirt and street). Motorcycles are my main passion, just hard to beat the speed and handling of good ol 2 wheeler!

99400esex
01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I think its pretty cool. Who cares about the negativity, all that matters is its running and holding up well for yourself.

jcs003
01-15-2011, 04:12 AM
i like seeing people doing unique projects.

what sometimes seems like bashing is just concern. people get hurt on an ATV it reflects on all of us. but, when people do get hurt its a learning experience.

anyways, next time im in the emergency room, im saying i was on a 2 wheel dirtbike.lol quads get too much negative attention,:devil:

3400ben
01-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by bherriman
Man I just don't get people on this site. I've been a member less than a year and I honestly can't see why anyone "new " would even post. It seems you guys all have some sort of complex and treat everyone with less than 1000 posts like garbage. I thought this was a place to learn and share your quad. This guy posts up what he has done to his quad and he gets bombarded with how awful it is. Maybe his quad isn't you cup of tea and thats fine, just keep it to yourself.

X2 He is pushing his sport to the limit.

3400ben
01-15-2011, 08:01 AM

You were just complaining about this on another thread. Reminder your quotes
You know just to add to the mix here, I recently started a thread called " how to rise to the top ". I was asking about the best route to getting to the pro levels of racing. I had a few people give intelligent answers, then had a few people tell that "all you win at the end of the day is a plastic trophy.". Another person continued to tell me that i wasn't even fit to be at the gate of a C Class Moto. and " well...im sure everyone who post it knew this wasnt a post to be taken seriously, but were all obviously bored enough to try to stomp on your dreams a bit ", people wonder why the sport seems to be dying on the racing side and why people like myself are being detered away, is because people forgot what its like be uplifting and encouraging. I made the point of " whats wrong with giving everything up to chase a dream in america ". However un-realistic my thoughts of how cool it would be to go pro may be, it doesn't make it right for anyone to shoot someone down like that. it comes down to doing what you love not about the money. If thats spending a million dollars to enjoying my sport then i am game.

beags86
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by jcs003

what sometimes seems like bashing is just concern. people get hurt on an ATV it reflects on all of us. but, when people do get hurt its a learning experience.

anyways, next time im in the emergency room, im saying i was on a 2 wheel dirtbike.lol quads get too much negative attention,:devil:

x2!!

when i hired on at my current job, i was in my first week i told one of my co-works that i ride atvs.

and looked straight in the eyes and replied: those things are dangerous.

mind you at the time i knew this guy for three days and he knew nothing about me (i.e. that i had been riding my whole life and wore a helmet, protective gear, etc, etc.)

pretty much enough said. goes to show you how most people view atvs.

what do you think the general public is going to think when they see this guys kid being medflighted to the hospital on "world's wildest videos"
because they have know idea what this guy if doing to ruin the structural integrity of his frame.

i think its cool to make your own way and what not, and its his machine. but i just don't think its safe. if he want't to save weight so bad then he should go on a diet.

JOHNDOE83
01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by jcs003

X2. I agree with this statement....lol.

On another note, what he did to his frame isnt that unstable. They sell a arms just like the ones he made, only the ones they sell are lighter and thinner. He still has plenty of strength left in those a arms.

They sell rigid drag frames for dunes and dirt drags, that are longer then stock frames and have less support, and made out of lighter materials. theres a 400ex custom drag chassis in the drag racing section for reference.

Its just my opinion and ill be proven wrong if something happens to him....lol. but I think hes doing just fine.

2001400exrida
01-15-2011, 12:25 PM
yeah i think it looks like a very nice build, 400ex's are a dime a dozen so he took a good quad to do it on.

those square tubes will hold, they would hold 800lbs if you wanted them too.

400exshop
01-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Its funny when i did the bashing i got told to watch it. Then when i told some guy off about the pit bull thing i got band from the site. now my son got on here and i use is username time to time and people bash what he and i are doing with the 400 ex. to answer so of you. it is a stock frame and what we have cut off it will not weaking the frame . It has a +8 swinger on it. If you kow how to ride you can leave off the line as hard as you wont to and it will not wheelie. For the guy that has built all the quads and drag bike's he should be able to bake me up on it all you have to do is learn to slip the clutch. my son has now learn to do just that and spray out of the hole. so for the red neck joke. that was not call for. I didnt piss in your milk.

400exshop
01-15-2011, 02:03 PM
This is the 400 and the r6 me and my son built.
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/dsc01892.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/dsc01882.jpg
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/ericcrip/dsc01804.jpg

400exshop
01-15-2011, 02:08 PM
And this is how thay run.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid825.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fzz179%2Fericcrip%2Fmov01901.mp4">
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid825.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fzz179%2Fericcrip%2Fmov01902.mp4">

400exshop
01-15-2011, 02:20 PM
The swinger was made bye direct drive not home made it chromoly.

250ex_dan
01-15-2011, 05:07 PM
crazy fast man

rubbersdown
01-15-2011, 05:44 PM
what motors in that orange one? That a fully custom frame?

400exshop
01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
its a r6 motor in a 350 rappy frame custom cut up to fit and painted by me and my son. 6.90 on the r6 in the 1/8 mile at 99.8

rubbersdown
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exshop
its a r6 motor in a 350 rappy frame custom cut up to fit and painted by me and my son. 6.90 on the r6 in the 1/8 mile at 99.8
Sweet, thats pretty damn fast, I like that bike, clean lookin, good job.

400exshop
01-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks he trade it after we race it a few time for a 07 700 rappy.
The rappy is all stock and the 400ex that we race is way faster.

buck440
01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
this thread just left me speechless.

2001400exrida
01-16-2011, 11:00 PM
that will shut rubbers up now i hope. he ws claming to be a big builder, yet he was ripping on the square tubing. glad to see you could put some proof on here to show the "know it alls" or so they claim, what th real deal is.

400exshop
01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
every one has his or her on way. mine it to go faster than the man beside me.( W. F. O. )

rubbersdown
01-17-2011, 11:09 AM
that will shut rubbers up now i hope. he ws claming to be a big builder, yet he was ripping on the square tubing. glad to see you could put some proof on here to show the "know it alls" or so they claim, what th real deal is.
Watch it buddy, I never said I was some glorious big builder, I told you outright ive only built like 7 quads in my life. All I ever said was I have built drag quads before and I personally wouldnt do it that way. Its a-hole comments like that why every regular poster on this 400ex forum hates you. I help people on here to solve their problems and even have a thread in the sticky. All you have ever done in here sense your first post is argue with people and piss people off.

Thumpin440ex
01-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Wow guys stop all the bashing.. It is this guys bike, not yours. He has to ride it not you. If you think it is stupid or unsafe, there is no reason to post.. However I am sure that some constructive criticism is ok, pointers.. If the first stages of his project look bad to you, just move along. If you look at the end result, it seems like this guy has just a little bit of talent in what he does... People tell me I am unsafe, when i make 100 mph blasts in my boat.. But ultimately it is my choice.. I think it is fine, I am in control.. :D

To the orig poster, I think it looks great, will be waiting on the final piece..

John

Thumpin440ex
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Watch it buddy, I never said I was some glorious big builder, I told you outright ive only built like 7 quads in my life. All I ever said was I have built drag quads before and I personally wouldnt do it that way. Its a-hole comments like that why every regular poster on this 400ex forum hates you. I help people on here to solve their problems and even have a thread in the sticky. All you have ever done in here sense your first post is argue with people and piss people off.

Agree to a level... :D

John

400exshop
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks John.
It seem some time when we post about are drag quad. People get a lil pissy about it or what we do.
The guy's that do drag race are not here to make any one mad. We are here to let you know that there other racing you can do with the quad's.
And the hp the drag racer's can get out of there motors.

2001400exrida
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
how much horsepower are you getting out of the R6? 95-110hp i assume?

I had an F4i that i had geared to go 130mph and it would rip. You can gear those 600's to haul ***!

the fact is, the square tubing is gonna hold, it looks fantastic and weights VERY little. it's obvious this guy knows what he's doing. The pressure is applied vertically and it looks real solid/standard for the strip.

400exshop
01-18-2011, 05:20 AM
how much horsepower are you getting out of the R6? 95-110hp i assume?
Yeah about 105 to 110 hp

the fact is, the square tubing is gonna hold, it looks fantastic and weights VERY little. it's obvious this guy knows what he's doing. The pressure is applied vertically and it looks real solid/standard for the strip. [/B][/QUOTE]

And the front on the 400 has lil weight on it and the frame only has a few bars cut out. most of the weight came off from the front brakes and rotors. The 400 does not lift much and when it does it comes down smooth. Its cuz he will not lift out of the gas. So the quad does not bounce. Its all in the rider.

6858-400ex
01-26-2011, 11:43 PM
I BET YOU GAINED 50 HORESPOWER BY BUTCHERING THAT POOR QUAD LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

01-27-2011, 05:12 AM
there a lot of crazy talk on this post but i would really like to see a r6 motor in a 400ex that crazy

2001400exrida
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
I BET YOU GAINED 50 HORESPOWER BY BUTCHERING THAT POOR QUAD LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

no but he lost alot of extra baggage!

rubbers was dissin on those square tubes and we all know they will hold just fine. the thing doesn't weight 1000lbs, and they certainly won't just give out!

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
My mildly built ex can run with 450r's that are more modded then my ex because I took so much weight off.

The box of parts I have for sale right now easily weighs 60lbs.

AND thats just the box I have for sale!!!

He DID NOT gain any HP, he gained ET, which counts the most.

tayyo789
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't understand why the people on this forum criticize other members, just because of the type of riding they do.
Most of you have no idea whatsoever what it takes to build a drag bike that gets good, consistent passes. Lets face it, motocross isn't the only thing these things can do. I am expecting violent amounts of criticism for this statement.

450Rida
01-28-2011, 11:51 PM
get some carbon fibre wheels, that will save you alot of weight, and if you really wanna save weight and add power, throw a hi reving light weight 600 sportbike motor in it like the zx6(636cc) and have 136 hp stock, then slap a turbo on it, you will wanna add weight to the front end if you do that. jus my opinion tho