PDA

View Full Version : Any Mac/Apple guys on here?

Canadian144
01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey,

Just figured I'd see if anyone here uses a Mac computer. If you do, post up what you have.

I'm making the switch this week. Currently I have an HP Pavilion Elite, with a intel core 2 quad processor, 8GB of RAM, Nvidia 9800GT graphics card, and 1TB of storage. I originally got it thinking that I would play PC games more, but I never really bothered as I had my Xbox 360. Also currently have an IBM/Lenovo T61 laptop with a 2.1 ghz core 2 duo, 2GB of RAM and a small HDD (school makes us buy them).

Anyways since I'm going to be going away to university next year, I figure I'm never going to be using my HP desktop, so I'm letting my dad take it to use to record TV (it has a built in TV tuner).

On Thursday I'm planning to pick up a Mac Mini. Gonna upgrade it to 4GB of RAM and eventually a Seagate 500GB Hybrid HDD/SSD drive.

When I go away to university I'm planning to get a 15" Macbook Pro (if I find that I like OSX as much as I'm hoping I will), so there's no point in me buying an iMac.

I'm sure there must be a few apple guys on here!

Lidvall119
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I just got my 15 MacBook Pro with the i5. and its amazing, best purchase ever

thought i needs the i7 but the Mac with the i5 works out just fine for school and the little bit of video editing i do

suck my pipe
01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
I have a mac mini its a few years old, works like a champ. No viruses and simple to use. I use windows 7 also I still like my mac.

Canadian144
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Lidvall119
I just got my 15 MacBook Pro with the i5. and its amazing, best purchase ever

thought i needs the i7 but the Mac with the i5 works out just fine for school and the little bit of video editing i do

Cool, if I end up getting the Macbook Pro to go away to university I will basically be using it to do the same things, so I will probably go with the i5. Of course I'm waiting for the next generation ones to come out in April 2011, so by then the price of the i7's may be quite a bit less. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

Originally posted by suck my pipe
I have a mac mini its a few years old, works like a champ. No viruses and simple to use. I use windows 7 also I still like my mac.

Nice. I like windows 7 too, I just find that almost all "store bought" computers all seem to develop problems in a year or two. Of course if I really wanted to I could build my own PC, but I'm not really up for it.

RATPACK Z400
01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I have Ibook G4 since 2003 still works fine! the reason that the apples dont get virus,s as much as the others is that 90% of computers are dell,HP,etc not many people want to spend twice the money for apple so most the virus,s are made to attack them instead of Apples! IMO

exrider12
01-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
I have Ibook G4 since 2003 still works fine! the reason that the apples dont get virus,s as much as the others is that 90% of computers are dell,HP,etc not many people want to spend twice the money for apple so most the virus,s are made to attack them instead of Apples! IMO

Also they dont use the normal number codes like a regular computer like a dell or hp therefore a virus could be on your computer but it has no effect on how a mac operates. I love my mac book pro i5. Got in september and no problems. Love all the little features about them :D

ben300
01-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
Also they dont use the normal number codes like a regular computer like a dell or hp therefore a virus could be on your computer but it has no effect on how a mac operates. I love my mac book pro i5. Got in september and no problems. Love all the little features about them :D

plus most dells and hp computers, imho, are pure junk...i bought a hp before i went to college and it died the beginning of my senior year.

bought a toshiba on the recommendation from a friend, and i cant complain at all...

the apples run excellent and pretty hip...i just cant spend the the money for one when i can get a comparable performer for half the price..

i do wish i had an ipad though

Canadian144
01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ben300
plus most dells and hp computers, imho, are pure junk...i bought a hp before i went to college and it died the beginning of my senior year.

bought a toshiba on the recommendation from a friend, and i cant complain at all...

the apples run excellent and pretty hip...i just cant spend the the money for one when i can get a comparable performer for half the price..

i do wish i had an ipad though

Yeah I agree about HP's. In the past few years, I've had an HP desktop and laptop - the laptop went through a hard drive every year, and my current desktop has gone through a graphics card, a hard drive, and I think the motherboard is messed too. My dad's had an HP desktop and laptop too - the desktop was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen... everything needed to be replaced eventually, and even after it was supposedly all "fixed", it would break shortly after. His laptop has already gone through a new hard drive and it's only a year old.

But yeah I think if you want to stick with windows laptops, Toshiba and Acer/Gateway are the best. My dad has a top of the line Gateway desktop, for the past two years nothing has broken on it yet! He had a Toshiba laptop back in the early 2000's and that thing was good too.

I agree that Apples are pretty overpriced. Spec-for-spec, next to almost any similarly priced windows machine, the specs of the Apple computer suck. But even with limited specs, the Macs always seem to run well.

ben300
01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
Yeah I agree about HP's. In the past few years, I've had an HP desktop and laptop - the laptop went through a hard drive every year, and my current desktop has gone through a graphics card, a hard drive, and I think the motherboard is messed too. My dad's had an HP desktop and laptop too - the desktop was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen... everything needed to be replaced eventually, and even after it was supposedly all "fixed", it would break shortly after. His laptop has already gone through a new hard drive and it's only a year old.

i had the same exact problem with my hp laptop..went through 3 hard drives on it.....it would be running fine, and then just die.....when it finally died, the screen took a ****. the top half hte screen would freeze what ever image was on it, and the bottom half hte screen would jsu scroll around.....thank god i bought the extra warranty with it...well worht the extra $200

Fear250r
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I've got an imac, my bro has an older imac and just bought a Mac book pro and ma has an 2 imacs and an old g4. Yeah, we're Mac people. LOL. Anyway, Macs are great, no viruses like stated and run real smooth. I can't stand PC's myself. Just something about 'em. Maybe cuz I've never used PC's? Hahaha!

Canadian144
01-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Woo, just picked up my mac mini, I'm definitely content with my purchase. Still takes a little bit of getting used to, but nothing major. Can't wait to see how this thing runs with 8GB of ram and the hybrid SSD/HDD drive!