PDA

View Full Version : Converting to a throttle body?

axellmusic19
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
So, I got to thinking and realized how often I am messing with my carb to get it just right and thought about using a throttle body. My only down side is now using a fuel pump small enough to fit outside the tank and powerful enough to supply about 50 psi of pressure to atomize the fuel. I would be okay with using a light coil from my magneto (it's 2-stroke) and powering a added battery which then powers the fuel pump but I do not know of any plausible pumps or which throttle body to use besides a custom one or a used one from older machines. Any insight would be great thanks!

wilkin250r
01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
How do you plan on controlling the fuel injection and mixture?

axellmusic19
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Butterfly valve/vacuum hopefully is enough

rubbersdown
01-11-2011, 10:09 PM
You need some sort of ecu to bring it all together. Then that would have to be custom mapped and made to compute with all your other stuff that NEED for a fi system like a map sensor, air temp sensor and or water temp sensor. Then you have to worry about a control pressure regulator to compensate for altitude, full load, and/or a cold engine. Or if you go the 02 sensor rout you need some sort of a frequency valve. A LOT of things to be considered in a custom fi setup. You would be hard pressed to get away with doing it for under $1000 after everything is said and done. Custom tuning and mapping of an ecu or efi controller will cost you a few hundred by itself.

axellmusic19
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I am okay with electronic pricing but i have been able to find systems that have variable nozzles and adjustable mixture rates but show no need for injectors or ecu. Being that it is a full mechanical system I understand it would be rough at first. If I did need a complete electronic system, would the entire system run off of the battery powered by the light coil without overload? What kind of amps are needed?

rubbersdown
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
not sure on the amps needed, good question though. Cant be too many because the new 4 stroke mx bikes run efi without a battery and they use an ecu with air temp sensors and map sensors and all that fun stuff.
i personally dont think you would have enough vacuum to run a full mechanical system on a dirt bike/atv

wilkin250r
01-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Post up a few links, I'd like to see how these systems work.

I can't see how a simple vacuum-operated system would work. At full throttle, you're going to have very little manifold vacuum, how does the system know whether you're at 2000 rpm or 8000 rpm?

As for an electronic system, they really don't pull much power. The MAF might pull a little because they work by generating heat, but any other sensor and computer should pull very little. Your headlight is 55 watts, which means it pulls a little under 5 amps. I'm thinking a complete system will pull an additional 1 amp, at most.

axellmusic19
01-14-2011, 09:54 PM
What bikes have that technology? How do they start the engine with no battery?? This sounds awesome but impossible.