PDA

View Full Version : Magura vs. Works Connection

Evan
02-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Which of these is better? If the magura is better, why do the pros run the works?

JGofNJ
02-12-2003, 07:03 PM
I can't praise th Works unit, only for lack of using it. On the other hand the Magura units are really nice.

I have actually traveled to the small town where they have their headquarters in Bad Urach, Germany on business and took a tour of the facilities. An associate of mine has a relative that is a shop foreman there. They actually manufacture many of the OEM master cylinders and clutch components for BMW so they obviously have a serious reputation behind them to obtain supplier status in the automotive industry. My biggest surprise at the factory was the fact that those things are built almost completely by hand and mainly by WOMEN! That's right, women make up I'd estimate 85% of the manufacturing labor force there.

Jon

Ex'r Marlin
02-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Cool info JGofnj!

I have the Works Connection... Very nice, but I have felt the Magura on a Cannondale... Very nice too.

My input is to take Lou's (Quad041) advise and get a stainless steel hydraulic line if possible for your Magura... I hear he had a problem with his line at a race that kept him from finishing.

Question, If the hydraulic clutch fails, comes off, or looses fluid, does the clutch ingage or disingage? If it stays disingaged, you would not be able to ride away, correct?

Ralph
02-12-2003, 07:17 PM
well i have heard from several people that the o-rings go bad alot, and lou(quad041) had one and they lines busted and made him come out of the race on his 1st lap..

anywhereEx
02-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Anyone that has a magura clutch I need the dimentions of the bracket. Mine may be lost and I need to make a new one

James70214
02-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Are you asking about the Works Pro Connection Cable Clutch Lever or do they amke a hydraulic one? I love my cable one it is the best.

Evan
02-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Yea i was talkin about the work pro connection cable one.

In atv sport, they said that the pull was the same on both the works and the magura. I know the magura will have a more consistent feel, etc proably better in the long run. But if this is true, why do pros still run the works?? A bonus of the works is, you dont have to have a specific one for your model, in other words if u sell or trade ur quad, u can just switch it.
I have a moose clutch that looks identical to the works but it doesnt work nearly as good Im sure, im thinkin of gettin a works.

toby400ex
02-12-2003, 08:40 PM
ive got an msr raptor clutch lever and perch i like it alllooot. On the easy setting it is way easy to pull and it looks pretty tough and nifty:tired:

Evan
02-12-2003, 09:03 PM
I used to have a MSR ya cracka lol j/k It was an ok clutch I liked my PEP a little better.

DEAL
02-12-2003, 09:06 PM
What about ASV?!?

YZROOSTINYA
02-13-2003, 05:32 AM
I just installed a magura last week. have about 8 hours on it. I think it plains just rocks. running the stock line and routed it along the frame.

so far no probs. i beleive the racres are running the cable type just because they probally are better "insurance" over the magura.
also they can put on a new line evryrace so it always feels like new.

the clucth will be ENGAGED if the line were to break, so yes you CAN continue to ride. you would just have to let the trans be in a state of no tension in order to shift. Also starting out would be a hoot, you would to get it rolling if possible at first, would be easir to click in gear. i shift without the clutch alot. mainly using for upshifting and starting. i typically downshift in the air without the clutch since there is no load on the trans

QuadRacer041
02-13-2003, 05:55 AM
yea i have one that came on mine xc bike when i got it.when it works, it works great!but.....when i got it the slave was leaking,$70 to fix and then in a race the plastic hose got a hole in it,$53 to fix cause i replaced it with a braded hose.
like i said when it works it works great but if it takes a $hit on me again, its back to the reliable cable.