PDA

View Full Version : howto help needed - straighting a steering stem

EthansDad
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm putting together a stock DRR 50 for my girl with some spare parts and the steering stem I have (stock DRR/OEM) is bent very slightly. maybe 1-2 deg at most near the top mount.

Any ideas on how to straighten that out? I've tried the sledge hammer and putting it in a large vice on the bend and cranking down on it, but no luck.

Any ideas?

-EA

selbygirl
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
we wer at a race in delaware and one of the kids flipped his quad and bent the top part of stem i had a axle i put it in between the stem and handle bars and between the handle bar clamps and pryed down and it straighted right up it waas a stock drr axle or a pry bar should work

xtremeatv
01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Dont use a sledgehammer or any of those methods its not going to work well and you could just make it worse.

You best bet is a machine shop, they have the proper tools to straighten it and it wont cost more than 20 bucks.

Your second best method would be to find a hydraulic press and straighten it with that. If you can find one you could do it yourself and it will be pretty close. You will need to mount it on blocks as close to the bend as possible and press it a bit past the bend itself a bit.

fomospede
01-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by xtremeatv
Dont use a sledgehammer or any of those methods its not going to work well and you could just make it worse.

You best bet is a machine shop, they have the proper tools to straighten it and it wont cost more than 20 bucks.

Your second best method would be to find a hydraulic press and straighten it with that. If you can find one you could do it yourself and it will be pretty close. You will need to mount it on blocks as close to the bend as possible and press it a bit past the bend itself a bit.

2nd this motion ,you wouldnt want your doctor to use a hammer:D

bignasty
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Or buy a spare one. I have one that is fairly new not bent can sell it to you for $45 shipped to you. Let me know.:) :) :)

3400ben
01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Bolt your handles bars back on, clamp it in a vise and add heat. If you get it cherry red and gray the handle bars you can bend it Back really easy.

xtremeatv
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
Bolt your handles bars back on, clamp it in a vise and add heat. If you get it cherry red and gray the handle bars you can bend it Back really easy.

Heat weakens most forms of steel. Only use this method if its for light use or if you want it to bend again much easier than the first time.

tyler70t
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
We put Tyler's in someone's trailer hitch and bent it, got it pretty srtaight............Jeff

selbygirl
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
now thats parking lot race track ingenuity good ideal jeff with the bumper hitch