PDA

View Full Version : Fed and State Lands

Pappy
01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
On a forum I visit (non atv related) there is a discussion about allowing ATV and SxS use on all Federal and State lands.

My take on it is that I am all for it, as long as it is set up similiar to say Hatfield McCoy or any number of currently structured trail systems, both for safety, protection of the land and so that it will be self sustaining.

Others feel there should be no rules or regulations , its puplic land and we should be allowed to do with it as we see fit without intrusion from any Government body etc.

I would like you to vote, and then give your 2 cents along with any ideas you may have about how recreational off road use can work together with other outdoor activities such as hiking, hunting, fishing etc on a responsible level.

chucked
01-11-2011, 08:43 AM
I was tossed up between the top and bottom one. But I chose the bottom one. Only reason is because there are cases where orv riding is causing major environmental damage. But when you hear about a land block because someone is saving the gay bull frog or the pansy butterfly, it always seems like just a political stunt where someone is trying to show their power, or piss someone else off.

chucked
01-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Plus I think there should always be restrictions because it is not private property.

CJM
01-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I picked the top one.

I wouldnt mind paying say 20 dollars a year or even 50 for a permit or something if it meant I had access to state/federal land to ride on.

There is a huge system of trails right by my house thats state land that I always rode in till one day the game warden finally showed up. Apparently anything in NJ thats registered for the roads ok (IE dualsport) on that kinda land-but not quads...

If we made it a small permit fee one could obtain say from the local town hall or the state/county then the money could go to repairing the trails, or whatever they wanted-I dont really care if they pocket it so long as I can ride on the lands..ya know?

Scro
01-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I voted the top choice, but I think it would have to be a combination of the top and bottom one. Although I don't agree with die hard tree huggers, I still feel like I should give them the respect to compromise with their beliefs.

derekhonda
01-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I think there should be more public land available, but I think if you just opened it all up, it would be taken away just as quickly. Bottom line, not everyone is responsible enough to just have free roam on federal land. Bad things would happen, trails would be shut right back down.

Open it up, fees, registrations, safety course, helmet. Ride on these trails dawn til dusk, if you get stuck, breakdown, or get hurt...call this number.

Quad18star
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I voted the top choice, but I think it would have to be a combination of the top and bottom one. Although I don't agree with die hard tree huggers, I still feel like I should give them the respect to compromise with their beliefs.

I agree.

I do however believe if a certain species , either plant or living being, lives solely in that area or has the greatest reproductive strength in that area, then it should be protected from any type of disruption or damage.

Ichoptop
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
we have a yearly fee in Colorado. Its nice because you have to submit your VIN....cuts down on stolen machines I would hope and the money goes into the trail systems and more rangers.

But I also agree that we must tread lightly. So many species go extinct every year. Just one of those may hold the next cure for cancer.

So I voted for the top but want to also vote for the bottom.

Pappy
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I must say, I am impressed with the responses. I posted that I was sure the majority of ATV'rs would love to have more open areas but would also want some form of control over those areas.

Maybe if you can, add in how you would feel about having a closed riding season during certain big game hunting seasons....or do you feel if its an open riding area then there shouldnt be any closed dates. I do realize out west they close areas based on big game birthing times etc, but just a general idea would be helpful.

CJM
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
As a hunter it would be nice to have certain areas closed during hunting season. This way you make the hunters and atv'ers happy.

motochamp250
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with ya'll. there would need to be a happy medium in open lands and laws/regulations protecting certain things. Maybe then, things would keep both sides happy. like most, it would be a mix in the top and bottom vote.

However, i do realize that a select few would always ruin it for the rest. Maybe stiffer penalties or something of that nature would keep the irresponsible somewhat responsible, so that everyone could enjoy? IDK how youd go about that but thats JMO

hunter

motochamp250
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
also, as stated before a fee or yearly permit or something wouldn't bother me. Maybe they could use that money for enforcement and conservation or something JMO

hunter

tbrackman84
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
The problem with this is that guys who have hunted these areas all of their lives get really fired up over people making changes they can't control. People riding quads a dirtbikes, logging, building, etc. I voted with the top choice, but just realize that for some reason, the "Have-nots" who don't own a quad or have never experienced how awesome and fun they are to ride will most likely try their hardest to stop anything like this. And i agree with CJM, it would be smart to close riding season atleast during the main fall hunting seasons.

tbrackman84
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM
and another thing, some of you have said that there are a select few would ruin it, but it is my guess that the kind of people who would ruin this idea are the people who are already out riding on and destroying state lands illegally now! that kind of thing is more or less impossible to stop, so it would have to be an acceptable possibility to know that these select a-holes would do this no matter what the law says... JMO

Quad18star
01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
The regulation of riding during hunting/birthing times would be a tough one to enforce I think.

Many hunters use ATVs to get to their destinations and would want to retain the right to use it to get to their areas .. but then you'd have those that just want to ride and would put up the arguement that if a hunter can use the atv to get to the hunting spot , why can't the recreational rider just go out and ride ... both would be disrupting a hunted area.

The solution would have to be a closed season, no ifs ands or buts for all enthusiasts across the board. You cannot allow a certain group the previledge while denying another because then you're creating a headache for yourself and a double standard.

We have "pay" trails in some areas up here and it works very well. The Haliburton Forest allows recreational use for motorized vehicles as long as you pay your day pass or annual membership. The money goes towards improving trail systems, cleaning up garbage, signage, fencing , etc. If you are caught without a permit to are fined and asked to leave.

If the ATV industry wants to get organized with trail systems, they have to look no further than the snowmobile industry which is a billion dollar industry with it's trail networks.

ZeroLogic
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I voted for the bottom choice. As long as there is trails that are maintained and watched it should be fine. But I also agree that the area should be shut down during hunting season unless the hunter rides an atv (permit or something)

Over by me there is a chunk of state land that is open for atv and snowmobile use. Never road in it but it looks neat. But that is also a good idea.

Pappy
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Greg, the closing of areas regarding birthing is and has been quite successful...albiet those areas are fairly easily isolated. I wanted to mention that so it would offer some insights as to why areas get closed in very select areas.

Also keep in mind, hunters now CAN'T legally use ATV's in many states on fed and state land, so they would benefit from these areas opening as well....or do you feel it may take away from their hunting?

Ichoptop
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
closing during a birth season is a really good idea, after all we are in their habitat. Also if there are any migration areas in which the amount of noise we make could be harmful to the migration. Hunters on the other hand are a minority and closing down a whole area just so someone can kill an animal is unreasonable. If you want to hunt in a trail system area then be prepared to see riders riding. Just as if I chose to ride during hunting season I would expect to see hunters...and often do.

The whole point is to get into the outdoors and have fun. My GF had never ridden until this year. In one day we turned off our machines and sat watching a buck and some does hang out in a valley and a mess of turkey hens on the trail. She had never seen these animals in the wild before that.

Quad18star
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I didn't know that atvs aren't allowed on many parts of the land in the USA.

I'n my neck of the woods, cities and townships regulate the use of land within their jurisdiction but lands outside of this ( that are not part of jurisdictions ) belong to the Crown (ie government) and are accessible to all citizens and allow the use of ATVs for both recreational and hunting purposes. The only Crown lands that do not allow motorized vehicles (atvs, motocross bikes etc.... although boats are permissible) are provincial and national parks.

In my opinion, I don't think the use of ATVs would really hamper the hunt .. it would make it more challenging but that's what hunting is all about. It would however allow hunters to go further into the woods which would then pose a problem to sensitive areas and would require a greater look by conservation authorities to see what would need to be done to regulate/protect such areas.

One problem we've seen up here , is that tourist outfitters are complaining to the government because their business is being hampered. These tourist outfitters which advertise as "remote camps and lodges" have guests showing up thinking they'll be the only ones on a lake, but then a group of guys on ATVs ride in with boat in tow through the woods. The tourism business is almost a multi-million dollar industry, so I see their point of being upset when your business is going downhill because guests won't show up and pay $1000 for a week of fishing when they could bring their own atv and ride in from the nearest fire roads at a fraction of the costs. The government has taken note of this and now tries to regulate /restrict the use of motorized vehicles to enter such lakes.