PDA

View Full Version : XR650R hybrid custom frame?

D Bergstrom
01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Soooo, been thinking about my next project, would really like a XR650R powered desert quad. Been reading about doing the conversion with a 400EX frame, and while it is for sure doable, looks like quite a bit of work to make it look and work well, so thinking about going the custom frame route. Does anyone know of any shops that have built a custom XR650 frame? I have two TRX450R's, so I would like the frame to use as many 450R parts as possible, will just strip down one of my 450R's and use it for parts.

Would prefer to use a shop that has done this before, I am sure I am not the only one who has had the idea to use 450R parts. Can anyone recomend a place? Any thoughts on this?

Doug

tayyo789
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I would get in touch with Laegers first. They had a big part in the xr that was in dirtwheels a few years back.
You being from Vegas, there must be a lot of desert racing shops there that do baja type stuff. There's probably some good fabricating companies down there that would do it.

D Bergstrom
01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Laegers didn't build any jigs from that frame, it was all custom one off stuff for Greg Stuart. That quad races in the same series I do, most of the stuff on it is "unobtainium". Stuart and his father own Skat-Trak, so they have access to a machine shop, so they built a bunch of stuff for it. I actually spoke with Greg back at a race in December, it is amazing how much they have done to get that quad to work, every little detail is thought out. It is a bad a** quad, I would love to own one just like it, I just couldn't afford it! Was hoping using all 450R stuff would be a little more affordable. Will proably give Laeger's a call anyway to see what they say.

There are shops here in Vegas that could do it, but only one has any type of quad experiance that I know of, and he is BIG bucks to get anything. All the offroad shops here in town work on cars/trucks, so a quad frame is not real high on the priority list. I would rather go with a company who's main job is to build ATV frames, figure they should already know all the stuff to look out for.

I think I will make a call to HRE, I know he will do just about anything you can dream up and have heard real good things about his work. Figure that will be my best bet.

Doug

250Renvy
01-11-2011, 08:21 AM
You probably know what I'm going to say, but HRE is the logical choice.

He built another member on here a 450R frame with XR650 - so he has done it and may still have jigs.

He CNC mapped all my frames tubing bends and stuff so he could easily put that motor in my frame - uses all 450R stuff and the 400ex tank would give you tons of fuel.

D Bergstrom
01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
You probably know what I'm going to say, but HRE is the logical choice.

He built another member on here a 450R frame with XR650 - so he has done it and may still have jigs.

He CNC mapped all my frames tubing bends and stuff so he could easily put that motor in my frame - uses all 450R stuff and the 400ex tank would give you tons of fuel.

You are exactly why I thought HRE would be the best bet, I will give them a call on my next day off. I figured he has already done the 650/450 hybrid.

Would you happen to know what member he built that frame for? Wouldn't mind seeing some pics and asking him how it is working out for him.

Thanks,

Doug

tayyo789
01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
I've heard great things about HRE. Do a build thread if you go through with this, so we can see some of the trick stuff that goes on it.
Most of us did conversion frames, and if the other guys that did it are like me, they want to see other ones to improve

Hasteloy-X
01-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I called Roll Design a while back about a custom 650r frame. The guy on the phone told me it would cost at least $12000.00 for the frame. Roll wouldn't do it for that unless I was willing to spend $25,000.00 to totally bling it out. Ummm... Yeah... :rolleyes:

D Bergstrom, did you ever race in CWIRA?

D Bergstrom
01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
I will for sure post a build thread if this project goes forward. I plan on talking to HRE here in the next week or so, so I will at least post what I find out.

Originally posted by Hasteloy-X
I called Roll Design a while back about a custom 650r frame. The guy on the phone told me it would cost at least $12000.00 for the frame. Roll wouldn't do it for that unless I was willing to spend $25,000.00 to totally bling it out. Ummm... Yeah... :rolleyes:

D Bergstrom, did you ever race in CWIRA?

I would hope the 12k included arms, swingarm, stem, etc. $25k for a complete quad, ready to ride? Doesn't surprise me, I bet Stuart as spent at least that on his.

I don't even know what CWIRA is, so no, never raced in it. I have always lived on the west coast.

Doug

Langbolt
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Have you seen this before ?

http://sandsports.off-road.com/atv/feature/custom-honda-trx680r-13100.html

Hopefully the info is useful.

I'd offer the services of my friend that built my XR650R frame....but he's kinda gotten out of the QUAD scene and prefers GOLF!

tayyo789
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I was looking for that one earlier to show. I'm sooooo envious of that electric start

malibuj
01-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Definately need an e-start! :D
I love mine!

"Thread jack" off. :devil:

I didn't have a custom frame built, I ended up modding a new 400ex one. A little bit of work, we'll see how she holds up.

Langbolt
01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey Jay!

Glad to hear from ya!

Yeah....it's a real shame HONDA didn't take the CASES from the 650R to make the 700xx.....then we'd All have Electric Starts on our XR650R Hybrids!!!

Did you put lots of miles on yours this past summer ?

Yeah....I think the MODDING a 400ex chassis is the easiest route unless you can find a good fabricator close to home!

I wonder if LoneStar ever made a chassis for the XR650R ?

:devil:

tayyo789
01-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Do any of you guys know of an e start other than the baja designs one?

Hasteloy-X
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
This place from the UK.

http://www.xrstuff.co.uk/index.htm .

D Bergstrom
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Langbolt
Have you seen this before ?
Yes, I have seen this one, read the page a few times, very nice looking quad. That was actually the first place I looked when I first started thinking about a custom frame, I remember the website of the place that did it was in there. Then I found the website was no longer valid, now I know why.

Originally posted by Langbolt
I wonder if LoneStar ever made a chassis for the XR650R ?

I was going to give them a call also. I know a year or two ago there was a page on their website that stated they make custom frames, but I can't find it now. Figure it won't hurt to give them a call.

Originally posted by Hasteloy-X
This place from the UK.

http://www.xrstuff.co.uk/index.htm .
Since Baja Designs no longer makes their kit, this is the only place that I know of that does. I didn't know they made one like the BD kit, kind of pricey though. I for sure want the kick start as a backup, but sure would be nice to have an electic starter.

Doug

tayyo789
01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
The e start is definitely something you'll want. I didn't mind kicking mine with mild mods, but now that I've got some more serious internal stuff, its starting to wear me out after a while. When this thing kicks back, it friggin hurts!

malibuj
01-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom

Since Baja Designs no longer makes their kit, this is the only place that I know of that does. I didn't know they made one like the BD kit, kind of pricey though. I for sure want the kick start as a backup, but sure would be nice to have an electic starter.

Doug [/B]

I didn't end up buying my Baja Designs kit new. They had already stopped making them for over a year. I was in the same boat, really wanted a kit. Just did some searching and happened to find someone selling a barely used kit on craigslist. Got completely lucky on that one, guess even a blind squirrell finds a nut once in awhile!

Langbolt
01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm really surprised that GOKI didn't make a kit for the XR650R.

They made kits for all sorts of 4-strokes....even the TRX450R ???

C41Xracer
01-13-2011, 10:07 AM
i bet mark laeger would make one, give him a call

Langbolt
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah....Call Mark Laeger and insist that it be fabricated for HONDA plastics......NOT Yamaha plastics like the Project "Stupid Bike" he built

http://dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=C30CBF82E7C944C0ACB195CBBC129ED9&nm=Contact+Us&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=7095D2C297E44470895E3E4CBB8D0756

Hasteloy-X
01-13-2011, 05:51 PM
This is the the response I got from Laegers, every thing from your quote is pretty exact...

"We have made one before but this was not a production bike so we did not
jig it. We would need the motor for sure in order to do this. The last one
we made used a YFZ sub frame, and YFZ style Laeger Frame Pro Trax, but
pretty much everything else was custom. The bike used a raptor 660 IMS
desert tank, and a Honda rear sprocket and had YFZ front and rear plastics.
There is an R & D fee on all non-production bikes and the cost of the rolling chasse (Frame, sub frame, swing arm, stem and Pro
Trax Front end)."

Laegers didn't build any jigs from that frame, it was all custom one off stuff for Greg Stuart. That quad races in the same series I do, most of the stuff on it is "unobtainium". Doug

Langbolt
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
ok...that was "laegers" the company's responce.....Now try call Mark Laeger and see what he says....He's workin' on his own now.

Mark Laeger Fabrication
21144 Alameda Del Monte
Wildomar, Ca

(951) 219-7433

D Bergstrom
01-13-2011, 10:16 PM
I think all the Yamaha stuff on Greg's quad was due to Nic Grunland being his teammate, he is a big Yamaha guy. The quads other nickname is the "Yamahonda". I took a real good look at it at the race in December, Greg was more then willing to answer questions. He actually wish's other people would build one and race against him, he wants the competition! You really need to see this thing work, it just soaks up the rough.

I wonder what Laeger's "R&D fee" is? I will admit, a Pro Trax front/cr500 link rear frame sure does sound awesome, but probably just a bit out of my price range! I would rather have something that uses all 450R parts, since I already have them. I still think HRE is my best bet, but may make some other calls just to check.

Doug

motomadman
01-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Doug, Just curious if you considered throwing all that money at your XX? I mean Chromoly frame, ti hardware etc... Thats what I'm doing and when its completed it will be between 400-420 dry, about the same as a raptor. Those hybrids get expensive, just a thought. Good luck either way, keep us posted on the build.

tayyo789
01-14-2011, 01:03 AM
The biggest issue, in my mind, of modding an xx to keep up with an xr hybrid, is that at some point, you're going to have to make the xx longer to stop the front end from coming up, and with IRS, that situation becomes very difficult. Plus, the aftermarket world for the xx is still growing, and parts are still somewhat difficult to find as compared to 450 parts.

croat1
01-14-2011, 02:43 AM
I wonder what Laeger's "R&D fee" is

Doug [/B][/QUOTE]

i bet it is how much money it will take to get mark laeger back into the laegers shop to build the parts.

call mark directly!!!! skip the middleman. or go to HRE

Hasteloy-X
01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by croat1
I wonder what Laeger's "R&D fee" is
Doug

Their R&D fee was 1200.

The rolling chasse (there words) was 7200. You'd still need shocks, wheels, and axle hardware though (not really what I consider a rolling chassis without those).

D Bergstrom
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by motomadman
Doug, Just curious if you considered throwing all that money at your XX? I mean Chromoly frame, ti hardware etc... Thats what I'm doing and when its completed it will be between 400-420 dry, about the same as a raptor. Those hybrids get expensive, just a thought. Good luck either way, keep us posted on the build.

Trust me, my 700XX is getting a bunch of money thrown at it to, but nothing to make it lighter, it will just get heavier. I don't see anyway to make that thing much lighter and still have a reliable desert quad. Unless it is a full blown drag quad, the 700XX will never be around 400 lbs. Stuart's quad is close to 500 lbs. The weight of the 700XX is not really to bad. Yes, on a scale it is way heavier then a 450R, but it dosen't feel like it when you ride it.

My 700XX is going to be my race quad, I love the IRS. I just want a 650 hybrid for fun, not sure I would ever race it, but you never know. The reason I have two 450R's is so I can bring the other along for a parts bike for the longer races. Now I will buy another 700XX for the same reason, so I don't need two 450R's. Don't want to sell it, put way to much money into it. Figure use what I can off of it and make a 650R hybrid.

Originally posted by tayyo789
The biggest issue, in my mind, of modding an xx to keep up with an xr hybrid, is that at some point, you're going to have to make the xx longer to stop the front end from coming up, and with IRS, that situation becomes very difficult. Plus, the aftermarket world for the xx is still growing, and parts are still somewhat difficult to find as compared to 450 parts.

Ed Teixeira (Teixeira Tech) is building front and rear a-arms for my 700XX. He has the front end done and should be finishing up the rear soon. Quad should be about 51" wide with a +2" wheelbase, 1" forward on the front arms and 1" rearward on the rear arms. +2 on the wheelbase is about the most you would want for a desert quad, should work great, can't wait to get it back and ride it!

Doug

tayyo789
01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
My 650 hybrid is at 53" right now, and I need to go to about 56". Of course, I ride mostly dunes, so thats the deciding factor on that. As soon as you get traction with that kiind of power, the front end goes sky high.
If you could figure out a way to use the xx motor, with the xr head, in a straight axle, you would have THE coolest hybrid I can think of.

malibuj
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Trust me, my 700XX is getting a bunch of money thrown at it to, but nothing to make it lighter, it will just get heavier. I don't see anyway to make that thing much lighter and still have a reliable desert quad. Unless it is a full blown drag quad, the 700XX will never be around 400 lbs. Stuart's quad is close to 500 lbs. The weight of the 700XX is not really to bad. Yes, on a scale it is way heavier then a 450R, but it dosen't feel like it when you ride it.

My 700XX is going to be my race quad, I love the IRS. I just want a 650 hybrid for fun, not sure I would ever race it, but you never know. The reason I have two 450R's is so I can bring the other along for a parts bike for the longer races. Now I will buy another 700XX for the same reason, so I don't need two 450R's. Don't want to sell it, put way to much money into it. Figure use what I can off of it and make a 650R hybrid.

Ed Teixeira (Teixeira Tech) is building front and rear a-arms for my 700XX. He has the front end done and should be finishing up the rear soon. Quad should be about 51" wide with a +2" wheelbase, 1" forward on the front arms and 1" rearward on the rear arms. +2 on the wheelbase is about the most you would want for a desert quad, should work great, can't wait to get it back and ride it!

Doug

That 700 sounds awesome! I actually haven't rode one yet! Teixeira Tech sure has some nice stuff!

Langbolt - PM sent!:D

patrickj75
01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by malibuj
That 700 sounds awesome! I actually haven't rode one yet! Teixeira Tech sure has some nice stuff!

Langbolt - PM sent!:D

Malibuj, please clean out your pm boxes. Trying to get ahold of you.

malibuj
01-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by patrickj75
Malibuj, please clean out your pm boxes. Trying to get ahold of you.

Done! Sorry about that!

Baxter
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
any news on the frame ?
I also own and race a 700xx and in the process of building a second XX using 700XX,XR650r,400ex,CRF/TRX450r parts.