PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 460

Dustin075
01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I have a 2000 400ex bone stock, not even exhaust done. I am looking into a 460 kit, and from my understanding you have to run a certion piston do to the skirt hitting the crank. Is this right?My plan was to just buy the wiseco 440 big bore kit, then just buy the plus four crank to make it into a 460. Is this possible? Thanks

togup
01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
no the weisco piston will become one with the valves, there is minimal room between the piston and the valves to begin with if you put a +4 rod in your piston will be too tall you need a stroker piston. I have used spacers under the jug before for high comp stroker pistons but its a nightmare to get right.

Dustin075
01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
OH! So it's basically a flat top piston then? I see by your knowledge you might have built one of these before, now I ask you what would be the best company to buy from? I see a few people make a complete kit. Hot rods just seems cheap to me, correct me if I am wrong by all means. Thanks.

odog
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
i believe powerroll makes a kit.alot of the top companys i called usually says the hotrod kit is a cheap kit and they kind of talk it down but mines been holding up since 08.oh yeah and its fast.

Dustin075
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
LOL!! And fast is what I would like! Had a feeling they were on the cheap side of things, and I searched around on here and really didn't find a company that was "better" then another. Thanks for the info, I will look into that company. BUT then again sounds like ours it holding up great.

togup
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I recommend a whole kit its ready to go,but do what you can afford. My first 460 was a hotrod crank ,CP dome top,and a Namura sleeve,my second one was a hotrod crank and hotrod flat top piston with a LA sleeve which ive been riding for more than a year ,but i also believe nearly all engine failures is caused by human error not equipment

Dustin075
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I couldnt agree more on the human error part. I have built a 400 and a few other quads in my day so I am fairly knowledgeable, not saying I know all of cousre. I have always been a wiseco guy and that was really what I wanted to run in this build, but they seem not to offer a kit. Its seems you have great luck with that hot rod set up and I think I might go that route. Thanks guys for all the help.

ngates788
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by togup
I recommend a whole kit its ready to go,but do what you can afford. My first 460 was a hotrod crank ,CP dome top,and a Namura sleeve,my second one was a hotrod crank and hotrod flat top piston with a LA sleeve which ive been riding for more than a year ,but i also believe nearly all engine failures is caused by human error not equipment

mine was exactly opposite .. hotrod piston first and CP second. fried the piston first time because jetting was off. been a strong 2 years since the second rebuild.

while you got everything apart might as well open it up some too. get some head work done and maybe a bigger cam.

togup
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ngates788
mine was exactly opposite .. hotrod piston first and CP second. fried the piston first time because jetting was off. been a strong 2 years since the second rebuild.

while you got everything apart might as well open it up some too. get some head work done and maybe a bigger cam.

no you mis under stood me , thats not my recomendations those were the components to my first and second stroker engines ,CP has been making the pistons for hot rods for years, hot rods has just recently started making their own pistons .Even though i reccomend a "kit" i do believe that the piston is the most important part of the build due to the different configurations of the piston(compression,dome or flat top etc.)which is what makes the most hp in my opinion. you dont have much choice when you buy a hot rods "kit" so consider what you want before you buy you may end up buying the stroker rod then purchasing a stroker piston in the comp. and piston top that you want

Dustin075
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Well I found out that je makes a piston that's a 12:1 for the 460 kit. It's 200 dollars tho! Cant really find a crank other then hot rods. Thinking of just running a 440 kit for the summer, then come winter throw the 60 at it. That way I can get some head work done, and some over sized valves this summer.

togup
01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Thats exactly how I did mine but i ran my 440 for about 2years. before you build the 440 it is critical that the case opening has .020 clearance for the jug, ex cases are known for not being perfectly round .Its really not an issue with 440s but the 460 crank has a deeper travel and dont forget GT thunder head studs youll need them