PDA

View Full Version : help with 426

anderson3064
01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I bought a "01" 400ex today and the guy says it has a 426 and a hotcam in it. is the only way to tell is to pull the top-end and measure the piston

Dustin075
01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry to say but yes.

togup
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Pull up to a stock ex and you should wax em then youll know

PaRedneckRiders
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Just pull the cylinder head cover, that will tell you if its a hotcam because one it wont have the stock decomp and 2 it will have the HC part #

Then Pull the head and mic. the cylinder If its a 426 it should measure 88mm.

If its your first time doing this its not hard just a couple hours or so worth of time.

Plus i saw you put the "s around 01 Does that mean your not sure?

If so you could run the vins off the frame into a vin decoder and it will tell you year make model ETC. but mostly looking at the year.

Heres the site i always use if you need it.
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp

anderson3064
01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
Just pull the cylinder head cover, that will tell you if its a hotcam because one it wont have the stock decomp and 2 it will have the HC part #

Then Pull the head and mic. the cylinder If its a 426 it should measure 88mm.

If its your first time doing this its not hard just a couple hours or so worth of time.

Plus i saw you put the "s around 01 Does that mean your not sure?

If so you could run the vins off the frame into a vin decoder and it will tell you year make model ETC. but mostly looking at the year.

Heres the site i always use if you need it.
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp
sorry for the confusion. I am sure its a 01, quad came with title and everything matches. i will work on figuring it out in near future. Its in a storage cuae i live in apartments. its too cold to go over there and start tearing it apart to see its 426 or not. I would have gotten the quad if it had a stock motor. i like the other idea, pull up next to a stock quad and i should wax em. haha that sounds way funner.

AtvKid4Eva
01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
id just take the previous owners word for it. if it runs fine i wouldnt tear it apart. should smoke a stock 400ex tho. and your right thats the funnest way to find out :devil:

anderson3064
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
id just take the previous owners word for it. if it runs fine i wouldnt tear it apart. should smoke a stock 400ex tho. and your right thats the funnest way to find out :devil:
thats how i feel about it. gonna work n suspension and have fun. when it needs motor work ill find out then

Quadracer667
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
i just figured id let you all know the tenth # from the left in the vin tells u the year it was made