PDA

View Full Version : Truck or Subaru??

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey guys....

Well its time for a new vehicle. My current one has seen better days and has nearly 300,000 miles on it.

OPTION 1:

1999-2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3l Vortec. I can see how this would be useful, but seeing that i will be transfering from my current college to UMKC, it will make paying for gas money harder. I can use it in the summer for my lawn buisness and for hauling atvs and stuff in the summer.

Option:2

Subaru WRX. I can also see how this car would be worth it... AWD will be wonderful for the missouri winters, and not to mention it would be a radically fun car and it gets 30mph. BUT... it won't help my lawn buisness and won't help much with hauling atvs, although i can use my small trailer behind the WRX.

Just looking for yours guys opinions, they both run about the same price. So... give me your .02

lonnie1977
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Truck all the way especially if you can use it to make money too. I can't imagine being with out a truck.

250rsforlife
01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
go for the truck you can put parts on it to make the gas mileage better if you want

Canadian144
01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd go with the truck. I'm a huge Subaru enthusiast (we have an STI), but it just doesn't sound like the Subaru is right for you right now. If you are really planning to use the truck for your lawn business then there really isn't a question here. Not to mention hauling ATV's. Yes, with a trailer the WRX could haul an ATV, but it's definitely not recommended...

Your call but I think the truck is the logical choice here. Maybe down the road you could pick up a WRX as a fun car, but I think for the time being the truck is your best all-around choice.

If you're concerned with MPG, why not look at smaller trucks? Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, etc etc. All would be fine for hauling quads and lawn equipment.

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
I'd go with the truck. I'm a huge Subaru enthusiast (we have an STI), but it just doesn't sound like the Subaru is right for you right now. If you are really planning to use the truck for your lawn business then there really isn't a question here. Not to mention hauling ATV's. Yes, with a trailer the WRX could haul an ATV, but it's definitely not recommended...

Your call but I think the truck is the logical choice here. Maybe down the road you could pick up a WRX as a fun car, but I think for the time being the truck is your best all-around choice.

If you're concerned with MPG, why not look at smaller trucks? Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, etc etc. All would be fine for hauling quads and lawn equipment.

Very true here man... A-lot of my problem is the MPG thing... I guess getting a Colorado is an option but they run at a pretty big price around here... not sure why.

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by rpfeifer11
Truck. I car is the most pointless thing in the world unless you live in the city and have never been outside in your life or if you are an old lady.

wow... Cars are very nice when living in the city. My problem here, is that in the summer i live in the missouri backwoods but in the school year i live in the city. I will run into MPG issues while driving the 4hrs home every couple weekends in the spring and fall to keep up with racing season. Unless i can find a place to keep my quad while at school.

BoneStockHonda
01-10-2011, 06:32 PM
a wrx will never get 30mpg closer to 20

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by BoneStockHonda
a wrx will never get 30mpg closer to 20

very un-true... I used to have a wrx that i could get 30mpg with on the highway and 23mpg in town. My sister now owns a subaru and gets about the same while driving refined.

finsteratv
01-10-2011, 06:43 PM
find a nice little 2wd truck or even a 4wd yota or somthing. good gas milage and you can haul stuff around.

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
find a nice little 2wd truck or even a 4wd yota or somthing. good gas milage and you can haul stuff around.

ha ha a real problem with me is i am very very very brand bias when it comes to cars... its either Subaru or a GM vehicle. I'll never own anything else.

Canadian144
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah I'd keep my eyes out for a Colorado or Canyon if you are gonna stick with a GM.

Or you could get a Subaru Baja Turbo! haha. 2.5L turbo (I believe just a detuned WRX motor), 5 speed manual, and a bed! Though you couldn't haul quads or lawn equipment unless you towed it... so it would be pointless.

http://image22.webshots.com/23/7/91/82/196379182prFZJU_fs.jpg

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah I'd keep my eyes out for a Colorado or Canyon if you are gonna stick with a GM.

Or you could get a Subaru Baja Turbo! haha. 2.5L turbo (I believe just a detuned WRX motor), 5 speed manual, and a bed! Though you couldn't haul quads or lawn equipment unless you towed it... so it would be pointless.

http://image22.webshots.com/23/7/91/82/196379182prFZJU_fs.jpg

agreed... besides the Baja looks kinda dumb... lol

rpfeifer11
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Haha sorry I just don't care for cars. I thought this thread was about a regular impreza becuase I did not read the first post. The only car I would buy is a wrx/sti/evo or something in that category. I am just not a fan of naturally aspired cars. Now that I realize this is about a wrx or a truck I would get whatever is more practical.

Scottt89
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I have a 2.0L 02 WRX with a Stage 2 tune, I get like 24MPG at best. I'd say go with the truck for your needs.

tbrackman84
01-10-2011, 08:27 PM
buy a '92 S10 pickup 4x4 for $2,000 and gut the cat and get 23 MPG like i did! I mean, always keep a proper catalytic converter on your vehicle... No but really, alot of guys around here who race and a guy I used to do some landscaping with drive 2wd 4 cyl pickups, good for anything except towing really, and they get decent mileage, but if you can afford a sweet newer generation 1/2 ton chevy, i'd certainly get one of them over something like an s10! lol. 2wd pickups arent my cup of tea, but something to consider, especially to beat up moving mowers and quads around constantly.

CJM
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Truck, ever since I had my first one back when I first started driving I just cant be without one. Last time I had a car I missed a truck so much it wasnt even funny.

I personally wouldnt buy a chevy colorado/gmc canyon however, they dont have any real oomph and are to small to be a truck, my toyota t100 is larger and has more payload.

Heres what ya do:
1. Find a good old chevy 2500 4x4, say 90-98 or so before they changed everything. Its rather reliable, the 350 cant be beat, a 3/4 ton is soooo much worth it vs a 1/2 ton when it comes to hauling and payload and parts are super plentiful, they hardly changed anything for years on those things.

2. Buy your WRX or whatever other car you want.

Thats my solution, I had a ford taurus and my toyota and was happy. I got the car for free so when it gave me issues I junked it.

In the end your not paying much. Yes you gotta insure both of them but you can put just liability on the truck and full on the car or whatever. It will be cheaper to have 2 cars than one.

Canadian144
01-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry to say but trucks are so damn boring to drive IMO.... unless it's an offroad truck and you're offroading in it, or it's a Lightning/SRT10/Dakota R/T. Driving a "regular" truck around down is really boring for me though... I'd rather drive a car anyday. So much more fun. Especially a turbo'd, AWD monster!

I love taking both the STI and my mom's Infiniti G37x coupe out for drives... both are 300+hp. Only problem is they are too easy to get into trouble with :D

One time the STI was in for service or something and we had a loaner base model Impreza.... even that thing was fun to drive. It just has the N/A 4 banger w/ and auto and AWD... but I still found it more exciting to drive than a truck.

JMO, I'm sure I'll get called out on this as 95% of the people on this forum probably love driving trucks more than anything else.

CJM
01-10-2011, 08:47 PM
^ Dont get me wrong cars are fine for some, but I have no use for one other than it gets good mpg.

When I want to go to home depot there is no seat folding or trying to make stuff fit, if I want to plow out my driveway im done in minutes and not hours cause I have a vehicle I can plow with and not a snowblower, I need to move, tow or drag something somewhere I can do it.Also if someone hits me and its a car..lol there is nothing left of them and I go and grab another bumper from a junkyard.

ONLY downside to a truck is lack of room for people in the cab. x-cab is really only good for kids under 14 and quad cab is pointless unless you have an 8ft bed imho.

Sure a cars fun and you can go fast and stuff. Im past that point in my life, I drive slow lol.

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Well, its official... i'll be getting a truck. lol I already have a 325+hp car and thats all that i need. lol

honda400ex2003
01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
truck got my vote but it isnt needed any more. :( make sure you post pics of the truck you decide on. steve

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
truck got my vote but it isnt needed any more. :( make sure you post pics of the truck you decide on. steve

I will dude!!! Thanks anyway!!

Ruby Soho
01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Sorry to say but trucks are so damn boring to drive IMO.... unless it's an offroad truck and you're offroading in it, or it's a Lightning/SRT10/Dakota R/T. Driving a "regular" truck around down is really boring for me though... I'd rather drive a car anyday. So much more fun. Especially a turbo'd, AWD monster!

your just driving the wrong truck;)