PDA

View Full Version : baldwin PP Vs. curtis sparks PP ???

krazykarl
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM
so i have an 03 crf450 head that the valves need replacing, and while i have it off i want to get it ported and polished. now its the same price for either company to do the valve job and P&P + parts. so my problem is i've heard great things about both companys work, so i can't decide? someone help me. who should i go with? the quads used for mx and fast woods riding. the rest of the motor is all stock CRF stuff + FCR carb.

thanks in advance guys. and no disrespect to either brand just cant make the decision

adamped415
01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
could always give it to me :) NOTE: Im carl and craig pedersen's cousin!

DnB_racing
01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by krazykarl
so i have an 03 crf450 head that the valves need replacing, and while i have it off i want to get it ported and polished. now its the same price for either company to do the valve job and P&P + parts. so my problem is i've heard great things about both companys work, so i can't decide? someone help me. who should i go with? the quads used for mx and fast woods riding. the rest of the motor is all stock CRF stuff + FCR carb.

thanks in advance guys. and no disrespect to either brand just cant make the decision find out amount time till return, both might be busy right now,

krazykarl
01-10-2011, 02:52 PM
r u carl pedersen from bucks county? cause this is carl neubert. didn't know u could port buddy. well at least anny good. if ur not the carl im thinkin of how much, and where are u located.

im also pondering about cleaning it up myself, (smooth out around the guides and clean up the casting marks, and polish the exhaust ports.) I wouldnt dig into it to much, i'd be worried about losing the volacity. The dude at curtis sparks said u'd probly only gain 2-3 hp. so if i could save 300 bucks do it my self and gain a hp or broadin my torque curve alittle, it might be worth it.

New Q? is it worth it to have it done by a pro? or do they just clean it up as well? its not like they can raise the port hight or anything.
let me know guys

dran714
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Horsepower is made in the head on a 4 stroke and if you want hp your gonna have to pay.. id also check into racers edge in Arizona they been doing some awesome stuff
ps, dont recommend trying it yourself you could make it worse..

01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
the guy at sparks is on crack, you def get more than 2-3 hp with a good port job, save the trouble and have someone do it if you dont flow it right it could make your bike slower than it already is, give rage atv a try his prices are awesome and he will definately do the best job

krazykarl
01-10-2011, 09:13 PM
thats what i wanted to hear boys. If its more then a 2-3 hp gain im down for payin some money. i know all the magic happens in the heads on a 4-stroke, thats y im swappin LS2 heads on my ls1. but i wasn't to sure what there was to gain out of the head, didn't know how far the factory went with it. I was concerned about the possibilty of messing it up. im goin to try n find racers edge and rage atv phone numbers n give them a call. thanks for the info guys.

on a side note, what u guys think about getting the fcr bored out? i see alot of guys pumpin them up to 41mm? would that go well with the head work?

01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
a bored carb makes a good difference once the heads opened up

2muchquad
01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
if your worried about overdoing it,just clean up the exhaust side and leave the intake alone.A freer flowing exhaust will help increase exhaust cycle piston speed.A lot of these companies want you to believe theres a "black art" to porting when it really comes down to basics of the internal combustion engine.Not many tuners will divulge "secrets" but its all about velocity.take 3 different heads from 3 different companies and trhey will all prolly look different.Everybody has their idea of how to make power.I have done my own work since the late 80s when i was porting 125s and i would not hesitate to put my bike against another 4fiddy with a so called "race port" job.;)