PDA

View Full Version : follow up on water leaking from carrier

2001400exrida
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Well trailrider and several other posters "owned" me on my other post so it pretty much got raped and then closed.

here's the original http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456064

I wanted to follow up as i'm all about sharing knowledge.

The water that i found dripping out of my carrier everytime i would adjust the chain slack was not actually in the carrier. It was water that sat up in my swingarm and would only drip out when i opened the swingarm allen bolts.

i pulled my carrier and all the grease and bearings still looked good, just a small bit of surface rust on the outside of the carrier.

the water was getting in there when i would wash the quad. I notice now that if i wash the quad and tip it up on it's nose that water will come out the chain guide mount holes. So, i'm wondering if my swingarm pivot bolt is not tight enough or if water is getting in those mount holes? which shouldn't happen because they have bolts in them.

Either way, i think it's important to share that my seals and everything is good on the rear end, the water is coming in the swingarm and doesn't get let out until i open up the back of the swingarm.

hope this helps anybody for future reference it's not always going to be a seal, in my case it was my swingarm holes being open.

Barrymaxx
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
This is totally normal. Every 400ex and 450r does it.

2001400exrida
01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
i'm glad somebody else posted. ya know i wondered if it was normal since my new 400ex is doing it and it's basically brand new and it's never had the rear end taken apart nor has it been ridden hard.

i just got worried when i saw the water come out, but it always happens after i wash it or after i've been going through some water or something.

thanks for posting!

bullett
01-10-2011, 10:35 PM
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-honda-motorcycle-trx400ex-sportrax-400ex-air-cleaner/o/m9621sch416439#sch415821

Not sure if you checked this or not, but this happened to my buddy, if you scroll over to the swingarm diagram and look at #13 these 2 pieces may have popped out allowing water or whatever else in.

2001400exrida
01-11-2011, 07:41 AM
i stil have those caps on there. one thing i don't have hooked up is the brakeline clamps. i'm wondering if water is getting in the bolt holes that are used to clamp down the brake line.

my steel braided lines required a different clamp so i just hose clamped them to the swingarm. I'm going to seal up my holes with just bolts and see if i can solve the issue.