PDA

View Full Version : She is not starting!

beck125
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
ok just got done with a rebuild a while ago, and i am needing some info, I just put in a new piston 440 wiesco and have a stocK CARB with a 42 and a 170, new plug has compression, and i am feeling that its either in timing or its in valve lashing, it started once before and now she just cranks and cranks... this is all the info i can think of at the moment,,.. is there a valve lash that is loose to where i wont endanger my piston and it will still start? i have broke two valves so far and i feel like this is the problem, .. oh and all four valves are brand new seated and pressure tested.. any help please
respectfully
jordan

CJM
01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
First and foremost verify you have spark and fuel. Pull the line off the carb if you must and check, check for spark using a screwdriver poked into the sparkplug boot and lay the metal of the screwdriver onto something metal-you will see it arch.
Assuming your getting gas and spark lets move onto checking the plug, check it for proper gap, see what it looks like: see this chart for more info: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/sparkplug.html While the plugs out, turn fuel off and check compression.

Then check the carb, make sure the jets arent clogged, floats stuck, etc. Remove your air filter, take some carb cleaner or starting fluid and spray a bit in and try and start it-it turns over then its not getting gas, further checking of carb is needed.

Once you verify all that, check for proper valve lash. Use this as a guide: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html Assuming thats fine, move onto next step.

Remove valve cover, set everything to proper timing. Cam lobes down, cam sprocket lined up with head, etc.

After all of that report back what ya found.

beck125
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Has gas, spark, grounded, everything is good, new gas.. will get more information in the morning after i try a shot of either. thanks! and also when i set the valves to spec they hit the piston,.. it was in backwards at first and then i took it back down and thats fixed but they still hit when i hand turn the motor(aka turn the crank by turning the wheels in gear.)

CJM
01-09-2011, 06:27 AM
If the valves are hitting something isnt timed right.

When you adjust them you must make sure the engines at top dead center. Sometimes it takes awhile before you can get it to be there properly-the rockers should be easily movable when it is-thats when the valves can be adjusted right.

2001400exrida
01-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by beck125
Has gas, spark, grounded, everything is good, new gas.. will get more information in the morning after i try a shot of either. thanks! and also when i set the valves to spec they hit the piston,.. it was in backwards at first and then i took it back down and thats fixed but they still hit when i hand turn the motor(aka turn the crank by turning the wheels in gear.)

are you setting those valves to stock spec or to the new spec based on your piston?

i assume that 440 is a higher comp than stock.

AtvKid4Eva
01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
The valve clearence dosent change with just a higher compression piston only when you add a cam that isnt stock. make sure when you adjust you valves that you are doing so on the correct TDC. there should be some play in all 4 of the rocker arms if there isnt that rotate the engine again until you reach the "T" again. read this article it does a great job of explaining what im talking about: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

2001400exrida
01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
i believe that article has already been linked in the previous post. Either way though it's important to make sure u know what your valves need to be set at before u try to adjust.

beck125
01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
it was a simple question ? when i set them at stock Specs THEY HIT THE PISTON! when i had cranked the motor? but lets be cool and flame?

anyways. . i took it back apart and needless to say the damn valves bent again, ha will get this fixed Monday morning and keep updates on status

beck125
01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok heads in the shop no rush though its blizzarding here pretty good, but when you lash the valves, is the gauge snug or loose? ( as in im not to sure on if it needs to be like your finger on the touch pad of a phone or snugger to where you have to put a little force to get her to slide?) if that makes sense.

CJM
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
The feeler gauge should go in and be slightly snug and have some drag to it. It should not need to be yanked out with force.

99400esex
01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Yea just adjust until there is a little force, you don't wanna adjust so tight that the guages will barely pull out.

99400esex
01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Also mine wouldn't start because one of my exhaust valves was too tight. It's pretty easy to do that

beck125
01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
ok thanks guys, this is what im feeling is the problem, is that the ex valves are way to tight, being they bent and all.

beck125
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
ok, well got her back together, valves are new and seated, everything is timed, and i got to the point of starting it, and it wouldnt fire... i gave it a little hot shot of starting fluid and it started and died, so im down to a fuel problem now? my main is at 170? is that enough for a 440? its 11-1 comp...

Scro
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Even if your main is off by a ton, that wouldn't cause it not to start. I would check your pilot jet, or check to see if you are getting fuel at all.

mlabarca240
01-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree with the others. Deff a fuel issue. I would start at the tank and make sure im gettin fuel outa the petc@ck.....May sound like a stupid question but is the fuel on? From there I''d check to see if your getting fuel to the bowl, loosen up the drain screw and see if you get anything out the tube. If not then your bowl may be sticking or the inlet orifice may be clogged. If youre getting fuel in the bowl Id check your pilot and main jets to see if they are clogged. Report back with what you find.

beck125
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
pulled the carb off, and hit the throttle and there is fuel being shot out fro the carb... i guess ill take it apart and check everything out, what would be recommended on the needle clip ? its on stock right now.?... i have been plagued with carb problems for the last two years..

mlabarca240
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Have you tried pumping the throttle 4-5 times then turning it over with the throttle just cracked open?