PDA

View Full Version : Geico.. Any Experience?

Pipeless416
01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Hello, I'm looking to change insurance companies from State Farm to Geico due to my car sitting most of the time. I'm probably going to just keep liability.. again, because all it does is sit there. My current coverage is 250,000per/500,000 total for bodily injury, and basically the maximum limits for everything else except for collision and comprehensive. I'm paying about $80/month for SF.

Car is:

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

I got a few free online quotes from Geico.. one with exactly the same coverage I have now, one reduced to 100,000/300,000 (this is what I have been reading is the best idea for somebody with basically a negative net worth... student loans) and the last was full coverage with max limits. To get exactly the coverage I have now I was quoted at $30/month! For full coverage with max limits it was at $74/month.

Question- I know State Farm is the better company, but is this too good to be true? Has anybody had any real life claims experience with Geico? I know State Farm will stand behind their customers, so I don't want a company that will basically try everything they can to get out of paying for something.

I'm really looking for some guidance from people who have had Geico for a little while now.

Thanks

CJM
01-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I had geico before, no issues at all and it was cheaper than most. NJ is one of the highest states for car insurance and despite being 25 mine hasnt gone down much due to work related accidents (stupid idiots who hit me, but it still counts against you).

I eventually switched to 21st century which was fine, I never had a claim with them however. The price dropped about 20 bucks a month.

I now have high point and love them, so far no claims but the insurance is cheaper and they are a much better company to deal with if you have to call them or such. What I really liked was you didnt get some stupid call center when you call them-you get a real life person!

I have 250k PIP, 25k/50k bodily injury and the same for uninsured and 50k property damage.

For NJ I pay quite low, its literally like 65/mo. BUT I only have liability, no collision. Its not worth it for me since I drive a 15 year old truck. I secretly hope someone hits me and I get the money for it lol.

Check high point and 21st century out for a quote-doesnt hurt.

TheLane
01-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I work for usaa in the auto loan dept and us being primarily a insurance company i can tell you 30$ is good.

How often do you drive that car? ( realistically lol not what you tell them)

and whats your credit like?

Pipeless416
01-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
I work for usaa in the auto loan dept and us being primarily a insurance company i can tell you 30$ is good.

How often do you drive that car? ( realistically lol not what you tell them)

and whats your credit like?

i'm not saying $30 a month is too much, but rather it seems too cheap to be quality. i put on about 6000 miles since i bought it last january, but a lot of that was during the "honeymoon" time. it will probably be about 4000 miles or so this year. credit is probably not very strong considering i have only had my credit card for a little over a year. i have never missed a payment, but my lack of experience is what will hold me back. i also bought the car in cash.

i hear so many people saying it's one of the better of the inexpensive companies, but i haven't heard from anybody that has ever had to make a claim with them. will they leave you high and dry, or will they have your back?

lonnie1977
01-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I have geico and love them. I sunk my truck in the river on a boat ramp and they took care of stuff that popped up a year later with the veichle. Good in my book and rates are good too.

slightlybent47
01-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I have geico on my bike. but I have never made a claim so all they have done so far is take my money.lol
And I really hope it stays that way.

400exrider707
01-10-2011, 06:30 AM
I use Geico to inusre my 2006 F250 and my sled (01 ZR600). They were by far the least expensive, but I've heard horror stories about actually making claims and dealing with them... but have no experience in doing so.

Pipeless416
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
thanks everybody, looks like i'll be making the switch sometime this week.

250rAL
01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
My wife was T-boned by someone that had Geico. They were quick to arrive and got us a rental car right away. They covered everything to our satisfaction and gave her $1000 for the scratch on her ankle.

ATV Chic
01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Last fall our neighbours trash cans pummeled the passenger doors because of some crazy 50mph wind gusts we had. Geico took care of it very quickly and I had no issues with them getting me a rental and stuff. Very impressed with their service.

Pipeless416
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
thanks for the input everybody. i'm now a customer! :macho

Thumpin440ex
01-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Have had them for over 10 years. Nobody( other ins comp) can come close to what I pay.. Even in school when friends were on honor roll( supposedly got cheaper rates then people not on it) They still couldn't get it as cheap as I was paying from other companies.. Full coverage on my truck is 836 a year.. I am 28 now.. It was only 9xx when I was 16..

John