PDA

View Full Version : ESR pipe problems

450madman
01-08-2011, 02:46 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same problems with ESR pipes as I've had. I had some of the plating flake off of one of the welds just from handling the pipe before install, and the expansion chamber on the pipe has changed color to a black chrome after a couple rides. I read somewhere that pipes that change color have poor plating jobs???

Pumashine
01-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes, the plating on my new TRX9R was rusting under the springs. The springs are chrome on the outside and corroded on the inside. The pipe appears to have been chromed with the springs on. The area's where the pipes join together are just nasty.

The ESR pipes are priced real good. I believe the plating is production based to provide an inexpensive part to the ATV world. I would recommend you buy the pipe unplated and get a good chrome shop to plate it for you. Its a little more expensive but will last a much longer time without defects.

In other words you get what you pay for.

250r__Ice
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Same here. My 9 pipe turned really bad after about 2 rides and ive noticed some flaking and rust as well. Performance is great but the finish could be alot better. I got mine to clean up pretty good with some polish and a buffer, but it really sucks to have to take the pipe off and buff it out. My LRD pipe looks better than my ESR and ive had the LRD for 10 years and the ESR for about 1 1/2 or 2. Oh well, like Pumashine said, you get what you pay for.