PDA

View Full Version : lexx slip on

atvextremerider
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
how many db's is lexx and is it worth getting

greencow
01-07-2011, 07:28 PM
The one on rocky mountain says lower than 96db

"Includes Forest Service approved Quiet Core Spark Arrestor Insert that brings sound levels down below 96db."

finsteratv
01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
im guessing it must be somewhere around 94ish because of the models 96and below. considering the 400ex isnt some super high revving crazy high performance engine.

atvextremerider
01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
what is the loudest on out on the market

greencow
01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by atvextremerider
what is the loudest on out on the market

loudest slip on?

CJM
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a lexx, dont get it. It uses a rather stupid aluminum collar to adapt the end of the header to the muffler pipe and it comes loose.

finsteratv
01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I have a lexx, dont get it. It uses a rather stupid aluminum collar to adapt the end of the header to the muffler pipe and it comes loose.
isnt that what people use the auto exhaust clamp for? other then that ive heard these arent to bad.

CJM
01-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
isnt that what people use the auto exhaust clamp for? other then that ive heard these arent to bad.

yes, Im the one who came up with the exhaust clamp.

However it is just a quick fix and Im not all that happy with it. See the thing is the lexx pipe has the mounts slightly off-I pushed the lower mount thats actually on the midpipe (its 2 pcs, muffler and mid pipe btw) closer in so the end of the mid pipe would be further on the header

What I wanted to do was take another header I have and have it expanded at my exhaust shop. Then take the midpipe and make 4 cuts on it and use a regular clamp like you would the stock setup or other exhaust makers.

supertrooper90
01-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I really like mine. I had to do some fabbing on the subframe to get it to sit right but I'm really happy with it for the $. it sounds decent too. I used honda hitemp rtv to seal the connection. worked really well and has been good for a long time now

2001400exrida
01-08-2011, 07:08 AM
i used the silicone and then i used a circle exhaust clamp instead of the U bolt muffler clamps. Mine is sealed at that joint, but the design is kind of a pain. I also used a different spacer where it bolts to the subframe, i used like 4 washers and about a 2 in. spacer and it's real snug now!

Rkangel7
01-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I like mine. As mentioned, the only issue I've had is the aluminum spacer at the mid pipe connection. Since adding the exhaust clamp I haven't had any problems. So far I like the Lexx much better than the White Bros. E series I used to have. The Lexx is much easier to service, the packing seems to last a long time, and I don't have to deal with broken welds, or noise (like I did with the E series).

Is the Lexx perfect? No. But for the price it's pretty good, and the few shortcomings are fairly easy and cheap to remedy. Just my humble opinion.

finsteratv
01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
i had a white brothers E-series on my old 300ex. it was super loud and didnt like it all that much.

greencow
01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
My friend has the white brothers E-series on a ltz 400 and its very loud in high rpms

2001400exrida
01-09-2011, 07:32 AM
iff you run the lexx without the spark arrestor it's abnoxious.

AtvKid4Eva
01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
why would you buy an exhaust that dosent fit correctly from the factory? no brand new exhaust should require an additional clamp to hold it on thats not included with purchase.bad engineering in my opinion. Theres many better slip ons out there. just my opinion.:rolleyes:

2001400exrida
01-09-2011, 09:49 AM
lexx is not the only pipe that may require a very small modification.

there are many pipes that get loose or don't hold perfectly at the midpipe or when the silencer meets the header.

For $1.49 i secured my lexx pipe at the bushing with an exhaust clamp, not a u bolt muffler clamp but a round exhaust clamp. It's solid as a rock now. I think the lexx performance is decent to, it's a solid pipe imo.

AtvKid4Eva
01-09-2011, 09:58 AM
right, but my point is that when you buy something new that is expensive it SHOULD fit perfect with no modifications. and if modifications are needed then the company needs to supply the needed parts. ive never had to use an automobile exhaust clamp to hold on any exhaust ive owned. im just saying there are much better designed exhaust out there. but if your alright with using an additional clamp then go for it.

Rkangel7
01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes, Lexx should have included a clamp. That was a definite oversight on their part. Thankfully it is fairly easy to remedy. $2 for a u clamp, or $8 for something a little nicer. However, neither the White Bros or the Lexx fit my quad exactly right out of the box. Both required some adjustment. It's the nature of the beast. There's just too many variations in any exhaust system (even at Honda), not to mention frame and subframe flex, to guarantee that a slip on pipe will fit 100% without adjustment.

AtvKid4Eva
01-09-2011, 02:28 PM
ive installed several HMF slip on's on 400ex's and they all fit 100% perfect. and on my 450 i have a Rossier full system and it fits absolutely perfect. this is because these companies dont settle for anything but the best.

2001400exrida
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM
yeah lexx hasn't been around nearly as long, it's made by rocky mountain atv isn't it?

i think it's a great design and it sounds good. I took the spark arrestor out and cut the screen part ouf off it and put the plate back in and it sounds really nice!

AtvKid4Eva
01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
yeah i believe i saw them in a rocky mountain catalog..might be their house brand.

greencow
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Ya i think its by them because if you google it, its all the hits.

Ian400ex
01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Only thing I can really say is, if you are that poor, buy it and with some mods you'll be ready to go (clamp). If you can shell out 50 more dollars don't get the Lexx, or at least until the set up changes (which may be never).

2001400exrida
01-10-2011, 08:41 AM
the lexx is a sweet pipe for the money, it sounds good and i went up 2 jet sizes with a little power increase. the clamp isnt always needed, but if you bump around like i do, i feel better having it snug.