PDA

View Full Version : cleaning out the inside of a pipe...

jcs003
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
can anyone tell me how they clean out their pipes.

TLR-Online
01-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Try some seafoam

CanuckR
01-07-2011, 04:43 PM
If its an unfinished pipe and you dont mind a bit of clean up after. Douse the inside with gas and light it on fire or throw it in a fire pit. Itll burn all the carbon out and it will just fall out as ash. May have to scrub some **** off the outside of the pipe if you toss it in the fire pit like I did.

TLR-Online
01-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Douse the inside with gas and light it on fire or throw it in a fire pit.

I love it :D

jcs003
01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by CanuckR
If its an unfinished pipe and you dont mind a bit of clean up after. Douse the inside with gas and light it on fire or throw it in a fire pit. Itll burn all the carbon out and it will just fall out as ash. May have to scrub some **** off the outside of the pipe if you toss it in the fire pit like I did.

its a finished pipe, so i wont be doing that.

im proud to be your 5th post in 6 years.:D

trx293pv
01-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Okay, your pipe has to be really carboned-up for this to work and you have to be extremely careful not to cut or melt the pipe. I just did this on my paul turner race pipe and now the chrome is discolored like the headers on a drag car in places but I'm not really concerned with appearances ...just performance.

Take a cutting torch and get a nice blue flame going ...just like you are about to cut something and WITHOUT hitting the cut lever get a sizeable area of carbon burning by moving back and forth over it rapidly. then shut off the gas and blow oxygen in there to keep the carbon burning until the fire goes out.

Now let your pipe cool down naturally and then you can tap most of the carbon out gently. The rest you may have to scratch out with a screwdriver but be sure to get all the chunks out so they don't wind up in your cylinder or bottom end.

J250r
01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by trx293pv
Okay, your pipe has to be really carboned-up for this to work and you have to be extremely careful not to cut or melt the pipe. I just did this on my paul turner race pipe and now the chrome is discolored like the headers on a drag car in places but I'm not really concerned with appearances ...just performance.

Take a cutting torch and get a nice blue flame going ...just like you are about to cut something and WITHOUT hitting the cut lever get a sizeable area of carbon burning by moving back and forth over it rapidly. then shut off the gas and blow oxygen in there to keep the carbon burning until the fire goes out.

Now let your pipe cool down naturally and then you can tap most of the carbon out gently. The rest you may have to scratch out with a screwdriver but be sure to get all the chunks out so they don't wind up in your cylinder or bottom end.

Kinda like this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfaW-wtjSb4&feature=related

trx293pv
01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Exactly. he's better at it than I am.

jcs003
01-09-2011, 01:47 AM
that was cool. BUT, i dont think my boss would like me smoking up the shop.haha

maybe i will just plug both ends and fill it with lacquer thinner. let it soak then spray it out with air.

Honda 250r 001
01-09-2011, 07:50 AM
If you put sea foam, or some other chemical in there, and a bunch of BB's and shake it around it works to get the carbon out much better than just chemical alone.

TLR-Online
01-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
If you put sea foam, or some other chemical in there, and a bunch of BB's and shake it around it works to get the carbon out much better than just chemical alone.

Good Idea... I would def use seafoam, i use it on all my cars.

trx293pv
01-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah. I did it outside...smoke wasn't what I was worried about. Didn't want to burn my place down.

Originally posted by jcs003
that was cool. BUT, i dont think my boss would like me smoking up the shop.haha

maybe i will just plug both ends and fill it with lacquer thinner. let it soak then spray it out with air.