PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling??

Stock 400 rider
02-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Does anyone knows if wheeling is bad for the ATV???(engine and other stuff)
And how to do it?

Doibugu2
02-12-2003, 12:21 PM
See your comment in the signature?

Just gas it! The front end will come up.

No, it won't hurt it, but becareful that you don't flip the quad over onto yourself. Then you'll be hurting.

Stock 400 rider
02-12-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm asking this cause a mechanic of peterhansel sad that whelling takes a lot of life time of the engine, I don't know how!!

p@iNn3ck
02-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Any other opinions on this?
Does everyone do their wheelies by just punching it? Mine doesn't stay up that way.
My buddy (who rides crotch rockets) told me to rev it and pop the clutch.... but man I replaced a lot of clutches on my first truck, not sure I want to on my quad.

redrizza
02-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Well, luckily the ex still sucks oil while riding a wheelie. Not sure about the new quads, but I know this is an issue with the Raptors. When in a wheelie with a raptor, it apparently sucks oil from a spot in the case where the oil isn't when the quad is vertical. I've heard of quite a few stunt riders (guys who ride wheelies all the time) burning up the raptor top ends due to riding vertical for extended periods of time. The ex is still hands down the wheelie king of all fullsize atv's.

02-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Wheeling isnt bad for it at all.. Just get the front end up balance it good and dont just keep the gas floored unless you want to flip just give it little gas........ 400EXS ARE THE ALL TIME WHEELIE RIDIN KINGS!!!!!! I have seen tons of 400exs just ridin wheelies forever. Ridin wheelies is easy once you get used to it and fun as ****..

Nausty
02-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Stock 400 rider
I'm asking this cause a mechanic of peterhansel sad that whelling takes a lot of life time of the engine, I don't know how!!

no way, the worst thing that happens is it leaks a little gas out the carb overflow. Nothing to worry about. About how to ride em' its not as easy as just gassing it. I can pop wheelies with just a touch of the throttle and go all the way from 1st to 4th gear on a wheelie. Basically is how I do it is I get going and let off the gas so that the engine compression compresses the front shocks a little and then I move back and keep my back kinda strait or actually tilt my back backwards a little bit and while doing that I ease on the gas kinda quick. I would suggest getting a feel for it with your right foot in the wheelie bar.

Nice wheelie eh?
http://links.exriders.com/albums/album20/test.jpg

luvmyex
02-12-2003, 04:08 PM
If it hurts anything It would be the bearing in the axle carrier.I dont think it does much but,all the weight on the rear has to put a little strain on em.I dont see how it could hurt the motor.As far as the clutch i dont think it bothers it much either,A quad dont weigh nothing compared to a truck.

lil400exman
02-12-2003, 04:32 PM
when i tried it on my r i flipped over............................:( i hit the power on poppy!lol dont tryi it on a 250r unless you wanna get ur butt kiked.

TheX1992
02-12-2003, 04:37 PM
what i do is get it in 2nd gear about 1/4 throttle and stand up then sit down quick far back and gas it to about 3/4 but it depends on how much power you need to get it up and dont over rev it. popping the clutch isnt to bad as long as you dont literally 'pop' it like let go of it completely. i just give it like 1/2 throttle and ride it out pretty fast leaining back. ive had wheelies a few times where i was balanced perfectly and had to pull the clutch in at 1st gear because idling speed was to fast but thats really hard to do most of the time when i do it its on accident. start out slow and on grass. nothing hurts more than fast asphalt rubbing on your back.

insane250Racer
02-12-2003, 05:15 PM
my R is hard to wheelie ...any 1 notice that on their R?

TC17
02-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
no way, the worst thing that happens is it leaks a little gas out the carb overflow. Nothing to worry about. About how to ride em' its not as easy as just gassing it. I can pop wheelies with just a touch of the throttle and go all the way from 1st to 4th gear on a wheelie. Basically is how I do it is I get going and let off the gas so that the engine compression compresses the front shocks a little and then I move back and keep my back kinda strait or actually tilt my back backwards a little bit and while doing that I ease on the gas kinda quick. I would suggest getting a feel for it with your right foot in the wheelie bar.

Nice wheelie eh?
http://links.exriders.com/albums/album20/test.jpg

i tried to do a wheelie on my 250 with my feet over the plastic like that. i looked at my plastic the other day and about schitt my pants. it was all scratched up. thanks Nausty:rolleyes:

DEAL
02-12-2003, 05:30 PM
I just gas it and pull up, I hardly ever use the clutch when i wheelie unless i am doing a slow wheelie in first and i need to stop it from going back onto the grab bar.
My favorite is when I'm going along in 4th and I pull up in a wheelie , shift into 5th and keep it goin till I'm wide open.

luvmyex
02-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
I just gas it and pull up, I hardly ever use the clutch when i wheelie unless i am doing a slow wheelie in first and i need to stop it from going back onto the grab bar.
My favorite is when I'm going along in 4th and I pull up in a wheelie , shift into 5th and keep it goin till I'm wide open.
You can pull a wheelie in 4th on a stock motor?:confused: and without the clutch.You must be fat as hel*

JLanphear
02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
You can pull a wheelie in 4th on a stock motor?:confused: and without the clutch.You must be fat as hel*

I can do them in 5th without clutch...no I'm not fat.

As for wheelies, they can't be too bad cause my quad is rarely on all 4 wheels and she still runs perfectly.

http://pwp.surfglobal.net/jmg/CVBZ/josh1.jpg

BlazingYamahaYz
02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
i am practiciing wheelies, but about that last pic, what are u doing there? *duh pulling a wheelie* but it looks like ur jumping over the bars?:confused:

JLanphear
02-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
i am practiciing wheelies, but about that last pic, what are u doing there? *duh pulling a wheelie* but it looks like ur jumping over the bars?:confused:

Yeah, it's a bar hop wheelie...You jump the bars and go into a legs over wheelie....link in Nausty's picture.

-Josh

ny300exrider
02-12-2003, 06:46 PM
what do you think the best way to start riding wheelies is for me...i have a 300ex and i pop it up in 1st without the clutch but can never keep it up long enough without it revving out..i know it is me...i also try hittin 2nd and cant even get it high enough to balance...any suggestions would be really great..thanks

JLanphear
02-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
what do you think the best way to start riding wheelies is for me...i have a 300ex and i pop it up in 1st without the clutch but can never keep it up long enough without it revving out..i know it is me...i also try hittin 2nd and cant even get it high enough to balance...any suggestions would be really great..thanks

Well, learning the balance point is the key. That's easiest to do by practicing with 1 knee on the seat. Put your LEFT knee on your seat...that way you are covering the brake with your foot. Just keep popping it up in 1st and you'll eventually find the sweet spot. When you get a feel for where the balance point is you can concentrate on throttle control. You should only have to fluctuate between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.

If you can keep a wheelie going in 1st gear forever you'll have no problem with the other gears...believe it or not, 1st can be the hardest.

Don't worry about flipping over too much...if you are on level ground the grab bar will most likely save you.

Nausty
02-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 2003TRX250EX
i tried to do a wheelie on my 250 with my feet over the plastic like that. i looked at my plastic the other day and about schitt my pants. it was all scratched up. thanks Nausty:rolleyes:

lol, you saw a picture of me doing so you did it and now your blaming me because you scratched your plastic? lol does it take a genious to figure out that if you rub your boots against the plastic it might scratch it? lol, thanks for the laugh:p :rolleyes:

jlanhear is right, the hardest part is finding the balance point. I personally pull most of wheelies in 2nd because everything happens so much slower and smoother. Another thing try to use as little gas as possible when popping it up so that your not having to run full throttle just to keep it balanced. jlanhear does a good job at explaining how to wheelie so i'll leave it to him.

02-12-2003, 07:08 PM
just hit the gas and when it feels weightless just go

DEAL
02-12-2003, 07:18 PM
I weigh 145 man, I don't know what it is, Some 400s i ride have trouble comin up in 3rd let alone 4th, Mine will come up in 4th and 5th on a hill, Not many people believe it until they see it.

02-12-2003, 07:19 PM
my 400 wont come up in 4th, no way in ****, at least not high enough to hold one with balance

Nausty
02-12-2003, 07:32 PM
I can barely get it up in 3rd but most of the time I have to have my foot in the wheelie bar.

DEAL
02-12-2003, 07:55 PM
:huh Mine must be magic because it comes up VERY easily in 4th.

DGR Designs
02-12-2003, 08:05 PM
^^^^ hes not lyin. i have seen this i have a clip of him doin it on my comp its true its true! ^^^^

CHAUNCY
02-12-2003, 08:17 PM

Dude thats like jumping and trying a backflip then crashing and blaming it on a video game.

Nausty
02-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
:huh Mine must be magic because it comes up VERY easily in 4th.

Do you count neutral as a gear:huh My quad has pretty much no power in 4th but I can ride some sweet wheelies in 3rd.

JLanphear
02-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you count neutral as a gear:huh My quad has pretty much no power in 4th but I can ride some sweet wheelies in 3rd.

3rd is deffinatly the easiest, but mine will come up in 4th...it will also come up in 5th, but I've only done that standing on the bar or if going over a hill.

-Josh

Nausty
02-18-2003, 05:44 PM
wow, I should try more highspeed wheelies, I seem to have a problem with the quad constantly pulling to the left when I wheelie so I end up going off the road or trail when I do long wheelies. I think my axle might be bent or something.

Andrew400ex
02-18-2003, 05:48 PM
im sorry but every time i see u post something it seems stupider and stupider:rolleyes:

Andrew400ex
02-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JLanphear
I can do them in 5th without clutch...no I'm not fat.

As for wheelies, they can't be too bad cause my quad is rarely on all 4 wheels and she still runs perfectly.

http://pwp.surfglobal.net/jmg/CVBZ/josh1.jpg
i think u and friends are absolutely sick at wut u do..i mean im not too far off i can wheely descent(a lot better than ur average exrider here) but some of the stuff u do on ur site like the on wheeled endo and stuff really is dope..that wheely u posted here is something very orginal and sick looking,keep it up man:blah

Ranchertype1
02-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Nausty, im no wheely expert by any means but your bike pulling to the left might mean the air pressure in your back tires arent the same on both sides.
When i try wheelying on my new Z i feel like its either going all the way back or its not going up at all. The bad part is i usually practice them on the street, when i try on anything else my tires just spin :huh

Nausty
02-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranchertype1
Nausty, im no wheely expert by any means but your bike pulling to the left might mean the air pressure in your back tires arent the same on both sides.
When i try wheelying on my new Z i feel like its either going all the way back or its not going up at all. The bad part is i usually practice them on the street, when i try on anything else my tires just spin :huh

yah, I've thought of that and we have done everything, we've flipped tires around, made sure air pressure is same and everything. *sigh*

TravEX
02-18-2003, 09:31 PM
yah, I've thought of that and we have done everything, we've flipped tires around, made sure air pressure is same and everything. *sigh*

try putting your wallet in the other back pocket!,,,:blah ,,,j/k,,,

Moded86R
02-19-2003, 12:19 PM
I can ride wheelies on my R.Don't get my wrong it ain't nothin like a 4-stroke.But it is definitly possible.I find it is easier to stand up and ride them on the R.While on my 300ex it is easier to sit.

Try riding a wheelie on a moded qaudzilla.Now that is fun!

Ride400
02-19-2003, 03:01 PM
that guy standing on the bars is nuts...thats such a sweet pic, wheelies are the best

Ride400
02-19-2003, 03:01 PM
one more for ya

300exQuadracer
02-19-2003, 03:16 PM
i can bring my 300ex up into a wheelie in 1st gear and ride it out all the way to 5th full throttle me and my friends have ridden a mile on the back wheels once it was great we where out in the field and just kept it goin the whole field!
o and when i was learnin i kinda messes up my grab bar tryin to do em on the road, yay for grabbars though causei woulda got skined up perty good

Nausty
02-19-2003, 03:30 PM
a mile long field eh? That reminds me of a time my friend and I were riding double and I just popped a wheelie in 1st gear and just creeped across the feild. It felt like we were riding it for minutes. That bad thing is it leaks a lot of gas.

300exQuadracer
02-19-2003, 07:09 PM
a mile long field eh? That reminds me of a time my friend and I were riding double and I just popped a wheelie in 1st gear and just creeped across the feild. It felt like we were riding it for minutes. That bad thing is it leaks a lot of gas.

yea, its a half mile field then a old abandoned rr tracks then another field kept it up the whole time!
double up wheelies are sweet cept for when it goes a lil too far! the back person gets squashed

Nausty
02-19-2003, 09:05 PM
lol, yah double wheelies are fun, I can actually seem to balance them a lot better and feel and things happen a lot slower when riding double on wheelies. It was pretty cool though, we were both doing no footed wheelies and doing other little tricks. I didn't wanna go over so nothing special.