PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Legacy good or bad?

JBENSON
01-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Last week i wrecked my wifes 05 Ford escape (4x2) and totaled it. This week we bought a 2009 Subaru Legacy, loaded with all the goodies. This is my first Subaru I have owned, I have been a Ford guy all my life. My question is what do you think of Subaru's? Are they good, is there any common problems with them, ect....... Give me your input please. So far I am very pleased with the car, the escape did have more room, but I was wanting to get a Subaru because of the awd and better fuel mileage. Plus we have two month old boy and my wife thought it would be nice to have the awd. Did I make a good choice?

ben300
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by JBENSON
Last week i wrecked my wifes 05 Ford escape (4x2) and totaled it. This week we bought a 2009 Subaru Legacy, loaded with all the goodies. This is my first Subaru I have owned, I have been a Ford guy all my life. My question is what do you think of Subaru's? Are they good, is there any common problems with them, ect....... Give me your input please. So far I am very pleased with the car, the escape did have more room, but I was wanting to get a Subaru because of the awd and better fuel mileage. Plus we have two month old boy and my wife thought it would be nice to have the awd. Did I make a good choice?

solid choice...my roommate has an 06 gt...you'll be happy...with good winter tires like blizzaks, they're excellent in the snow.

nemo25
01-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I'll sell you my 2006 Evo IX if your second guessing the Subaru:D

JBENSON
01-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Im not second guessing the Subaru, I really like it. Just was wondering what the good and bad things were with them. :D

ben300
01-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by JBENSON
Im not second guessing the Subaru, I really like it. Just was wondering what the good and bad things were with them. :D

in all honesty, you got a great car, but dont you think you'd of researched any of the bugs or problems they have before you purchased the car.

if you keep the thing for four years, and dont put over 100k miles on it..you really shouldnt have any problems at all.

the only advice i can give ya is dont try changing the timing belt yourself. i can give you my roommates number, he'll tell ya a million and a half really good reasons why you should never do this yourself....it ends in BOOM

Scottt89
01-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Great cars, I have a WRX as do many of my friends. Did you get a GT or a non turbo?

I threw some General Artimax's on my stock wheels for winter, nothing like having snow tires on an AWD, it's unstoppable. If you got a GT, I recommend using a Factory oil filter. They seem to work the best. I have a friend that works at a Subaru performance shop and that is all they recommend, even for guys with $15k motors.

JBENSON
01-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Scottt89
Great cars, I have a WRX as do many of my friends. Did you get a GT or a non turbo?

I threw some General Artimax's on my stock wheels for winter, nothing like having snow tires on an AWD, it's unstoppable. If you got a GT, I recommend using a Factory oil filter. They seem to work the best. I have a friend that works at a Subaru performance shop and that is all they recommend, even for guys with $15k motors.

Its a non-turbo. 09 Legacy special edition, 2.5, automatic.

fultz416ex
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
They are great cars. I build them everyday. Once you buy a
Subaru, you will never buy anything else. Thanks!

trailrider894
01-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by fultz416ex
They are great cars. I build them everyday. Once you buy a
Subaru, you will never buy anything else. Thanks!

x2 best car i ever owned was a subaru!! My sister now drives one, and i miss mine. I'm in the market for another!!! I'll never own anything else thats an import except a subi!!

06typeS
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
just keep up with the regular maintaince and shouldn't have any problems with it

tbrackman84
01-08-2011, 11:10 PM
they are amazing cars and their crash safety is awesome. The only problem i know of with older subie's is that wheel bearings go a little quicker than on other vehicles, but that seems to be the only negative thing I have ever heard! i agree with everyone else GREAT CHOICE!

trailrider894
01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
they are amazing cars and their crash safety is awesome. The only problem i know of with older subie's is that wheel bearings go a little quicker than on other vehicles, but that seems to be the only negative thing I have ever heard! i agree with everyone else GREAT CHOICE!

might also be that they take a little but more of a beating compared to a normal car because you can 70 around a corner in a subi that you could only go 55 around in a normal car.

tbrackman84
01-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
might also be that they take a little but more of a beating compared to a normal car because you can 70 around a corner in a subi that you could only go 55 around in a normal car.

thats true lol, probably a major factor