PDA

View Full Version : PA Late Goose Season

ben300
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
So i dont know if anyone else on here besides pappy is into goose hunting, or water fowl in general, but this is something that i have gotten decently serious about in the past three years.

this goose season so far in our little neck of the woods in pa has been one of the hardest seasons in recent years. we had probably one of the worst early season since i started hunting 12 years ago. there are so many hunting crews that try and hunt only so many fields in our area. its tough to find a good field to hunt in and get permission cause so many other groups have permission or are there before you...needless to say, we did not get that many birds...

late season started here a couple of weeks ago. so once my brother and i returned home from college for our christmas break, we decided to hit the fields pretty hard. our first week out, the week of lead up to new years. we hunted fairly hard. birds had been hunted so hard up to this point that a good field was hard to find. we did manage two a lonely bird the tuesday before newyears.

ben300
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
this week however, turned out to be alot better for us.

last thursday my buddy from high school got a hold of me to see if we wanted to go hunting with him. my buddy has pretty much dedicated himself full time to goose and water fowl hunting and has recently been guiding hunts in west virginia and maryland for cabelas.

monday, the three of us went out, and we each got two, one shy of the limit, 6 total. my brother ended up getting his second banded bird of the season.

ben300
01-06-2011, 10:00 PM
tuesday, the three of us went out again along with two other friends. we worked a bunch of good sized flocks, but ended up with only two birds.

ben300
01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
yesterday turned out to be our best day. it was a cold, cloudy, slightly snowy day. the perfect day to get some birds. we had an excellent field locked up, ended up seeing or working a flock almost every 15-25 minutes.

we ended up getting 7 birds total. i got two, my brother got two, and my friend chris got three, two with one shot.

ben300
01-06-2011, 10:07 PM
chris and the two birds he got with one shot.

ben300
01-06-2011, 10:09 PM
And i even managed to get a couple :D

we went out today, hunted one field in the morning till 11, and then went out to another field this afternoon, that we saw birds feeding in, but we only saw one flock all day.

C. Lindsey #18
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Its been a weird season all around here in Western, Ky (Ballard County, Ky) for one we didnt get enough rain or water to pump what should have been in our pits, Two the weathers went from 25-30degrees to 60-65degrees some days,....about 10 years ago Ballard used to be one of the US's best goose huntin No joke but birds gotten smarter,...I think the most we had duck wise this year yet was 115,xxx ducks & 50,xxx geese now down to 30,xxx ducks an 3,xxx geese, Except snows were eat up with snows right now.

Best days are cloudy with wind, or about to rain/snow/sleet or during all of it, Blue bird skies arent worth nothin down here