PDA

View Full Version : 300ex/250x reverse

stroked 400ex
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
want a foot shifter for my 250x had one on my first 300ex years ago but i didnt install it, does any one know what shifter off what bike works? this way i can use my foot instead of my hand...

QuadCobbler
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I made one for my 300 out of aluminum like 6 years ago, I know that is said I have had my 300 seince it was new. I started seeing them on ebay about 2.5 years later. I just checked and did not see any. it is really easy to make one. I fliped the origainal one around so it was angled slightly down twards the front with the pin facing out. I took a small peice of aluminum and cut it out in an L shape with another short tab on the oposite end and bent the L 90 degrees and the tab all the way over like a hook. then I drilled a hole about 2" form the end to put the original shifter pin in and the put the cotter key back throught the pin. you can shift it in and out of reverse with the L and the tab keeps it from rotating on the original shifter's pin.

stroked 400ex
01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
sounds like a good easy mod... but my first 300 had a factory foot shifter just longer, it was long at least 8 to 9 inches if i remember correctly but it was sweet im gonna see if i can do what you did... it would sure beat the bending over...

bigblue02hd
01-08-2011, 07:10 AM
So... you guys are doing away with the cable actuated reverse lockout on the right hand side? Then modifying the left hand reverse shift mechanism into a foot operated one???

stroked 400ex
01-08-2011, 07:53 AM
no you still need that cable you wouldnt be able to put it into reverse without that cable as far as i know... what we are trying to do is turn that reverse lever that you have to pull up and down into a foot shifter like your gear shifter i had one and loved it, its much nicer...

dman66
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I just bought one off ebay,about 2months ago,and installed it.It cost about 10 dollars. I like it ,but I will add some metal to the front of it, so my boot can catch it better - it is a straight piece of angle bracket.

bigblue02hd
01-09-2011, 07:56 AM
I gotcha... thats what I thought you were doing, just checking!

I had read about a few people here who have done away with the cable actuated reverse lockout on the right hand side. I guess they've removed the cable and made that arm stay pulled back. That way you eliminate that step to go into reverse quicker.

The only downfall is you gotta make sure you're in neutral at all times when you mess with the reverse lever. If not you could accidentally start to engage reverse while still in a forward gear.

dman66
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I still engage reverse at the handlebar clutch/reverse lever,and now use my foot to actuate reverse lever in front of the gear shifter. I would not do away with the cable to actuate reverse!!!