PDA

View Full Version : Annoying 300ex

Tyler01
01-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I have a annoying rattling noise from the front of the four wheeler. I thought that the exhaust gard had come loose but it was tight.....I've looked but have no idea of what it is...What u think?

And its leaking gas again out of the over flow valve again...I just cleaned it about a month ago and it stopped but it now its doing it again. So idk what to do?

Mines a 97 and i swear it starting to fall apart and break down on me ):

Scro
01-06-2011, 06:40 PM
When is it rattling? While you are riding, or idling? If you have an aftermarket skidplate, make sure it's not rattling against the frame. Also, if you leave certain types of gas in the carb, it will gum up. You can avoid this by draining the bowl before storing it.

wilkin250r
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Most often, the reason your carb is overflowing is because you've got some kind of junk in the float valve. Your floats are supposed to rise and close that valve, but if you have junk in the way, it can't close properly, so it keeps filling up and thus overflowing.

You cleaned it, good, and that got rid of the problem for a while, but now the problem is back.

But ask yourself, HOW did that junk get into your carb? The answer is usually through the gas tank. If you have junk in your gas tank, you need a fuel filter to keep more of it from getting into the carb.

Tyler01
01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Yea i got a aftermarket skid plate. It only rattles when i rev on it and ride it but i'll check it and get back at you ....... And for the carb i guess i just gotta try to clean it again unfortanitly

Tyler01
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Watch this video and see if you hear the rattling....You can hear it good at about 0:08 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v0bU7hiDUQ

Tyler01
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Well i got it out today and checked it over and come to find out it was the skid plate and i cleaned the carb and she run fine but i got yet another problem! but i believe i already know what it is. While i had the carb off i left the switch on. Well after i got done the battery was deader than ever....Well i jumped it off and let it run for a lil. Well i cut it off and the batter seem full cuz the head light was realy bright. but when i go to start it, its acting like it dead cuz the solinod just clicks.....But see the startor is fairly new and it hasn't givin me any trouble......... so give me your opinion about that........

Thanks

Scro
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
The battery may have enough juice to power the headlight, but probably not enough to turn the motor over. Leave it on a trickle charge of 1-2 amps overnight, and you should be good to go.

wilkin250r
01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
If you compare it to water, a taillight is a squirt gun, a headlight is a garden hose, and a starter motor is a fire hose.

It takes a LOT of energy to start your quad. You might very well have enough to run your headlight, but not enough to run your starter motor.

Charge it slowly, your little motorcycle battery can't handle being charged as fast as your car battery. 2-amps or less, and only leave it overnight if you have an automatic charger (one that reads the battery and shuts off automatically when the battery is charged).

Tyler01
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Well i don't got a battery charger but ima go out there and crank it and let it run for a while and see what that does.....Cuz i will need it since its gonna snow where i live again.

NEEDS:
1}Change the oil
2}Change out the spark plug
3}Get a head gasket cuz it leaks oil around the head
4}It needs new valve seals but i dout thats gonna happen cuz moneys a lil tight

GONNA
1}Try to modify my Pro Circuit Warrior exhaust onto my 300ex
2}Buy a tube so i can put my old tires back on
3}Gonna try to save for a new/used axle cuz mines bent a little
4}Try to buy a 400ex carb

Thats my main stuff but there alot more i need to do but its not major

Tyler01
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Well I cleaned the carb yesterday and Its still leaking today plus my battery isn't charging on the four wheeler. I let it run for a while plus got on it and rode it but its still dead as ever.......I need to get rid of this annoying four wheeler cuz it has been nothing but problems

TheLane
01-10-2011, 04:11 PM
you replace your gasket in your carb?

also you probobly killed that battery. that happens if you drain it too low.

Tyler01
01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Its leaking out of the over valve and heres a video of the 300ex / battery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCv97d2poec

wilkin250r
01-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
you replace your gasket in your carb?

also you probobly killed that battery. that happens if you drain it too low.

Draining the battery doesn't usually kill it, in fact it's fairly rare to kill it by draining it all the way. Most often, the death of a battery is by letting it sit without a charge for an extended period of time.

Without getting too technical, the chemical reaction that occurs inside a battery is a small amount of sulfer transferring from the acid to the lead (which is why it's called a lead-acid battery). When you recharge the battery, the sulfer goes the other direction, from the lead back into the acid.

If it sits dead too long, the sulfer bonds permanently to the lead, it won't transfer back and forth. Obviously when this happens, that portion of the battery is dead, it won't store power anymore. The longer that sulfer stays with the lead (the longer it sits without a charge), the more of it bonds permanently.

A battery will last dang near forever if it always has a charge on it, because all the sulfer is in the acid, it won't bond with the lead. But if it sits dead, and all that sulfer is sitting in the lead, it won't last very long.

TheLane
01-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Draining the battery doesn't usually kill it, in fact it's fairly rare to kill it by draining it all the way. Most often, the death of a battery is by letting it sit without a charge for an extended period of time.

Without getting too technical, the chemical reaction that occurs inside a battery is a small amount of sulfer transferring from the acid to the lead (which is why it's called a lead-acid battery). When you recharge the battery, the sulfer goes the other direction, from the lead back into the acid.

If it sits dead too long, the sulfer bonds permanently to the lead, it won't transfer back and forth. Obviously when this happens, that portion of the battery is dead, it won't store power anymore. The longer that sulfer stays with the lead (the longer it sits without a charge), the more of it bonds permanently.

A battery will last dang near forever if it always has a charge on it, because all the sulfer is in the acid, it won't bond with the lead. But if it sits dead, and all that sulfer is sitting in the lead, it won't last very long.

so then why do we go through batteries darn near yearly here in Phoenix, az. I heard it has to do with the heat. and one time completely draining a battery normally does it out here..?

Im not saying your wrong! you obviously know more of the subject than I do. I just want to be educated!

wilkin250r
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, full discharge IS damaging, it's just usually not a total and instant death. Every deep discharge probably shortens the life by 25%, and reduces the efficiency by 10%, if I were to make a guess.

The problem is still sulfer, the lead plates convert to lead sulfate. The more you discharge, the deeper the layer of lead sulfate. Some of that sulfer is going to bond permanantly, it's unavoidable, your battery won't last forever. The MORE sulfer you bring into that lead (the deeper the discharge), the more likely some of it will stick around.

For your particular problem, it's a little confusing. I know heat is a problem for lead-acid batteries, but it seems odd. Your average ambient temps are hotter than mine, yeah, but I'm still producing heat under the hood of my car. Your engine runs MUCH hotter than normal outside temps, as well as mine. Under the hood, I would imagine we see nearly the same temps, so I don't see why your heat would be a bigger problem than mine.

Tyler01
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Well i kinda figured my batter has just gone COMPLETELY dead so i need to charge it but don't gotta charger so yea and why should the carb still be leaking when i just cleaned it?

wilkin250r
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
And if you don't have a charger, then you can't charge it. Simple as that. But the longer it sits without a charge, the more damage it does to the battery.

There is only one way the carb will continue to leak, because the float valve isn't closing. There are a variety of reasons, like the floats not adjusted properly, or more likely, there's junk in the way preventing the valve from closing.

My guess is you have some sort of garbage in your tank, and it make it's way into the carb. You can clean it all you want, but if it keeps coming in, the problem is going to keep occurring until you stop it from coming in.

Tyler01
01-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Well i got the battery charged so it fine but i still don't understand the carb? When u say the float could be adjusted improperly what do u mean. But i cleaned the thing top to bottom so i know its not dirt cuz every time i clean it i don't see any dirt.

kt1148
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
try replacing the float valve, it may not be seating fully

Tyler01
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Well i mean is the float supposed to set all way down or is it supposed to set even? How do u adjust it? but it leaks realy bad when i go riding a wheelie. Cuz i can tell when it don't leak i can ride all day and still have a good bit of gas left but when it leaks it like it bout half way gone

built300x87
01-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Try takin ur carb apart visually inspect the float valve itsself if the rubber tip is damaged it will need replace......also take a q tip with a lil toothpaste and clean the cyl the float valve rides in work it about 30 sec. That q tip will be black I bet clean the paste and check float height!!!

As for the bat....buy one there wut 80 bcuks or so???

Tyler01
01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Sorry to say but i haven't messed with it cuz im 15 bout to turn 16 and i might be selling it to hopefully get me a 87 Toyota pickup that im going to go look at today but thanks for all the help

Tyler01
01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Last night this man and his son came and took a look at my 300ex........Well first off i told he its cold so be easy and well the son i guess didn't care hoped on it and started it....He pinned the throttle and took off spinning all in my yard and was givin it h*ll liked he owned it.Then the Dad got on the and started talking to somebody about a house for 5 mins. I was already kinda mad but that made me really mad. Then he was like it needs a new top end so he offered me 500 and i was like that cheap it givin it away cuz it smokes when you first start it up and when you rev on it but yet it just needs valve seals put in. I just wish people would have common sense and treated other people stuff with respect..

Tyler01
02-06-2011, 01:32 PM
No more 300ex for me......I just sold it