PDA

View Full Version : help with axle removal

durakid
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I know this is a simple deal, i have removed the lock nuts, both of them, i pull out the holding clip and all, and the way i've read and from what the repair manual says, when you pull the brake caliper and the brake stay, the brake rotor should just slide off. mine will not come off? any help?

hocman123
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
well first off i am allmost serton that u need to remove the rotor hub before the brake stay can come off.

but sometimes they can get hung up on the splines on the axle when they are not greesed well and can take a few hitts with the hammer to get off. best way to do it is hit a bolt hole then move the axle and hit the next one and repeat untill it is off.

Scro
01-06-2011, 06:38 PM
You can take a rubber mallet and tap on the brake hub itself (not the disc), turning the axle as you go. Pull on it a little while you are tapping, and it should pop right off. If not, you can let it soak in penetrating oil for a while to loosen it up.

mattl31
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM
i GENTLY used a pry bar to little by little get the hub started on its way off by prying lightly and spinning the axle about a 1/4 turn each time. Use your judgement though, it needs to be pressed off square to the axle so a little bit at a time is the way to do it.