PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head removal issue

JTrider
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Im in the process of trying to remove the head and for some reason it will not come off. I have removed it several times before but for some reason it is not coming off this time. I have removed the cam and the 4 stud nuts but I can not wiggle the head up over the studs. Is there something I'm missing here? I mean its only held on by 4 nuts so I don't understand. I have tried to gently pry it upward but it wont move. Its like its stuck on one of the studs. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

AtvKid4Eva
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
might have to tap it with a rubber mallet..it might be hung up on the little dowel where the studs run through..or the cam chain guides might be hanging it up? just make sure its nothing else and give it a couple light taps it should budge without that much force.

the Z Man
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Its been awhile but isn't there a couple smaller bolts on the side?

NacsMXer
01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by the Z Man
Its been awhile but isn't there a couple smaller bolts on the side?

Those bolts go into the cylinder. But yes, they are a "gotcha" type thing to a first timer lol.

AtvKid4Eva
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
yeah those go into the cylinder..if your trying to remove the head then those bolts dont need to be removed, but if you are indeed trying to remove the cylinder and not the head then those two bolts do need to be removed.

jelrod05
01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
isint there 5 bolts

hocman123
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jelrod05
isint there 5 bolts

no there is 4. 3 inside the engine and 1 on the outside right infront of the spark plug

o and the 2 bolts in the cylinder total had me freaking out when mine would not come off the first time i worked on it

JTrider
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Are the two other bolts that your mentioning the two that hold on the cam chain tensioner? I removed those two but still no luck.

hocman123
01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
no we were talking about 2 bolts that are on the side if the cylinder not the head. they are all the way in the bottom on the right side and are easy to miss. but u don't need to worry about that unless u need to take the cylinder off.

o and i would suggest hitting it with the hammer directly but not that hard. i was wailing on a head one time with a rubber malt after a bit i got a good old hammer out and hit it vary easy and it poped. just watch were u are hitting it and don't over due it and u will be fine