PDA

View Full Version : Will my 426 make it up Cherry choke hill

Dune Surfer
02-12-2003, 10:12 AM
I'm trying to make it up to Idaho this July and wanted to know if you think I can make it. I hear 400's don't have a chance. What do you think, I'm rebuilding this week. 426 11.2-1, hotcams2, porting, lectron 38,14t, sandskate2 paddles. What will it take? If you have ridden it tell me what you think.

WyoDuner
02-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Well, sometimes ChokeCherry is tougher than others depending on the time of the year (steeper in the spring and early summer), and how dry the sand is....

I would say if you're putting out at least 40 to 45 HP and running straight paddles you should make it. Naturally if you are really skinny or really heavy that will make a difference either way but figure a stock Banshee or piped Raptor will struggle to get up the hill. Good paddles often make the difference in making it or not.

Give it a try - what have you got to lose right???

Oh, BTW, if you know you're not going to make it it's best to turnaround while you still have decent speed otherwise you have to back down which is really not all that much fun. :)

Natertot426ex
02-12-2003, 02:14 PM
I can't wait to try my 426 out at choke cherry. Look at my mods. I think it will make it with no problem. I have been able to smoke stock banshee's and Raptors up thunder mountain so I think I should be able to do just fine

twisted threads
02-12-2003, 03:57 PM
I think you will have no problem at all making it up chokecherry with your 426ex but as you know thunder mountain is nothing compaired to Choke Cherry! By the way if you have had your 426 at St. Anthonys why didnt you try to make it up Choke Cherry?? Have fun tring and I hope I can try that hill this summer also!:D :cool:

Natertot426ex
02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
I didn't get to stay for verylong because my friend forgot his jets for his carb and we had to go home.

Dune Surfer
02-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Any body ever seen a 426 make it?

Porkchop
02-12-2003, 04:42 PM
out4sand has a 426 kit in his quad and made it up.. there's pictures on his website www.out4sand.com

QuadJunkies
02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
I didn't get to stay for very long because my friend forgot his jets for his carb and we had to go home. You should try and go with us on our trip!!;) this will make 7 exrider members and besides..you only live about 15 minutes for my house:D .. Did you post about your race this last week... CONGRADULATIONS:) and good luck on your next race..Try and get some pics of the Oreana run for me ..im dyin to see it and I have to work that wk end...:( Dunesurfer~~~ Even if you cant make it, you will have such a blast!!! :p But I am confident you will;)

Natertot426ex
02-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Well I should get some of the race. I have a bunch of extra people going so I will get some pics. When are you going? We usually go sometime in may when it is not too hot or too cold.

QuadJunkies
02-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
Well I should get some of the race. I have a bunch of extra people going so I will get some pics. When are you going? We usually go sometime in may when it is not too hot or too cold. WEre going in July... We went that time last year and it was perfect.. I went in June also lastyear and the weather was way too crazy..:huh it was in the low 80's anda slight breeze..The trip date is July 11th with a BBQ at my place the night before;) So everyone can get to know each other before we head out

Stock 400 rider
02-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Could anyone post some pics of this hill??/
very curious about it!!

QuadJunkies
02-13-2003, 12:27 PM
sure...here ya go...;)

QuadJunkies
02-13-2003, 12:28 PM

QuadJunkies
02-13-2003, 12:30 PM
.devils dune

Stock 400 rider
02-13-2003, 12:39 PM
my gosh!!!
can't believe it!!
if the quad can't make it, it's gone!!
have to rebulit everything!!

QuadJunkies
02-13-2003, 12:48 PM

TRX250XFIRE
02-13-2003, 12:54 PM
yeah thats like a rich persons hill cause if it tips u might as well buy a new bike.

QuadJunkies
02-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by TRX250XFIRE
yeah thats like a rich persons hill cause if it tips u might as well buy a new bike. I like these pics, becuse they show just HOW BIG they really are,some dont think they are BIg until they see it up close:eek:

out4sand
02-17-2003, 11:31 PM
QuadJunkies has some of the best pic's I've seen to show just how steep the hills in St. Anthony's are :D

It can be done on a 426ex, I did it a few times this last June when I was there. You certainly won't set any speed records but it'll get you to the top and your heart pumpin ;)

About half way up...

out4sand
02-17-2003, 11:33 PM
and the top

out4sand
02-17-2003, 11:37 PM
And one of the best parts about Choke cherry is the ride there :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.out4sand.com/images/Dunes/Moreskin_400ex.gif

QuadJunkies
02-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by out4sand
And one of the best parts about Choke cherry is the ride there :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.out4sand.com/images/Dunes/Moreskin_400ex.gif HAHA Can you believe I actually tried to get there on my 300ex the opposite way :p ( all the way to the left side) I got 3/4 the way and had to turn around...too big and steep for this gril on my ride...Ill have to take the "highway" next time... That is one sweet pic

twisted threads
02-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Thats a cool picture out4sand!! I love going out and finding those jumps were you can hit them in 4th and 5th gear and fly for a LONG ways! I never got the guts to hit a jump in 5th gear yet but some day Im sure I will. One jump we were jumping around 60feet lol I thought I was going to die :D I can't even imagine jumping around 100feet :eek: I think I would wet my pants..;)

QuadJunkies
02-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Thats a cool picture out4sand!! I love going out and finding those jumps were you can hit them in 4th and 5th gear and fly for a LONG ways! I never got the guts to hit a jump in 5th gear yet but some day Im sure I will. One jump we were jumping around 60feet lol I thought I was going to die :D I can't even imagine jumping around 100feet :eek: I think I would wet my pants..;) HAHA! I KNOW I would have wet my pants!!Its funny even a lil air feels BIG until you seeit on a picture ..:o WE really need to talk you into coming up this trip with us Twisted Threads..;) say you will????? PLEASE!!!! Dont make me beg!!:eek:

Mitch400EX
02-18-2003, 11:55 PM
I've always wanted to go to saint anthonys, those dunes look sweet. Looks even better than the oregon dunes. Twisted Threads where in WA do you live?

out4sand
02-19-2003, 09:11 AM
I really like that pic as well, Thanks!

QuadJunkies - That's my buddy Mike on his girlfriends stock 400ex...we were in the same area you were talking about and he had troubles making it up some of the bigger bowls as well so we cut inward and played on the smaller but just as fun rollers.

Twisted - I love rollers like that where you can hit them one after another and feel like your in the air for days :D

QuadJunkies
02-19-2003, 11:24 AM
I really like that pic as well, Thanks!

QuadJunkies - That's my buddy Mike on his girlfriends stock 400ex...we were in the in the same area you were talking about and he had troubles making up some of the bigger bowls as well so we road inward and played on the smaller but just as fun rollers.

Twisted - I love rollers like that where you can hit them one after another and feel like your in the air for days :D Rollers are a blast and going down some of the razor back hill s are fun to... OK now ...all this talk is making me want to go..:(

out4sand
02-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Oh boy do I hear you!! I have a work related trip in Jerome in Mid March and I am so tempted to drag the quads along and just drive the few extra hours after I'm done working to take a ride :confused2

QuadJunkies
02-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Oh boy do I hear you!! I have a work related trip in Jerome in Mid March and I am so tempted to drag the quads along and just drive the few extra hours after I'm done working to take a ride :confused2 AHAHA well, if your that close you might as well!!:o :o Go do a few roosts for me while your there..:D

JabberJR
02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Of course That is a monstrousity of a dune. Never seen anything that big. Where is it located exactly... ( Wont be able to make the trip for some time. But adventually. )
What all mods am I going to need for my banshee? I am thinking about getting the whole works.. Let me know what you think... ( I am a light rider 150lbs )

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JabberJR
Of course That is a monstrousity of a dune. Never seen anything that big. Where is it located exactly... ( Wont be able to make the trip for some time. But adventually. )
What all mods am I going to need for my banshee? I am thinking about getting the whole works.. Let me know what you think... ( I am a light rider 150lbs ) This is in Idaho about 20 minutes from Rexburg..Wyoduner is the best to ask this too....;)

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:16 PM
heres another pic...dif angle...

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:18 PM
heres a misc. pic I took

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:20 PM
on our way to choke lots to play on :)

twisted threads
02-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Is that a picture of Thunder MT.? All these pictures are driving me crazy! I WANT TO GO TO THE DUNES!! Its going to be a few more weeks before I can get down there, I just took my swing arm off and going to have it extended 4 inches.
Jabbar Jr one thing that is cool about a banshee you can make lots of HP out of those motors. I dont know to much about them but I do know that with pipes, carbs and some bolt on mods they can fly.

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Is that a picture of Thunder MT.? All these pictures are driving me crazy! I WANT TO GO TO THE DUNES!! Its going to be a few more weeks before I can get down there, I just took my swing arm off and going to have it extended 4 inches.
Jabbar Jr one thing that is cool about a banshee you can make lots of HP out of those motors. I dont know to much about them but I do know that with pipes, carbs and some bolt on mods they can fly. Which pic Twisted were you referring to?

twisted threads
02-20-2003, 01:36 PM
THe first picture..

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:37 PM
heres one of Thunder...

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 01:38 PM
better one of thunder

out4sand
02-20-2003, 01:40 PM
JabberJR

What all mods am I going to need for my banshee? I am thinking about getting the whole works.. Let me know what you think... ( I am a light rider 150lbs )

I started with pipes (T5's), Delta force reeds, 28pwk carbs, and a cool head w/21cc domes and no problem going anywhere that I wanted. That isn't a cheap list but if your willing to spend the cashola, I know you'll be super happy with just these bolt ons. I needed a new clutch and wanted to get the crank trued & welded this last winter so I did some other stuff (ok, a lot of stuff) while it was all apart. The reeds & carb will help smooth out the HUGE flat spot that you find in 2nd gear.

JabberJR
02-20-2003, 06:56 PM
I am not worried about spending money.. That is the whole point.. And Thank you for the info... Should I get the flywheel lightend or is it going to be fine stock?? I can't wait to get the mods done!!

out4sand
02-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Lightening your flywheel really depends on how and what you ride but with the mods I mentioned I would wait to do it. All lightening the flywheel will do is allow you to rev higher quicker and honestly unless drag racing is your biggest concern I'd hold off on doing that because once you learn to run your bike with the mods that extra little advantage you "may" gain from lightening the fly wheel can be made up in other places, besides it can be done at anytime without much effort if you decide that you want it done at a later time. I did a lot of stuff to my banshee motor over last winter and have yet to lighten the fly wheel. I talked to a lot of motor builders about it and I really like to climb the nasty nasty hills and lightening the flywheel can be a disadvantage in that situation because in some ways you need the extra weight to help spin the flywheel around under a big "load". I ride with guys that have had it lightened and everyone of them have had to change sprockets to make up for the lower end grunt that was lost so I personally am not sold on it being a big benefit....that is unless, once again, you are really into drag racing, then getting the bike to the highest r's possible as fast as possible is a big benefit.

JabberJR
02-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Once again thank you! I don't plan on drag racing. Just up dunes. I go to Florence Oregon alot and I love the thrill of climbing the biggets dunes There are, but I want bigger... And enough power to make it up What is called Cherry Choke.

WyoDuner
02-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Here's a few of my pics from St. Anthony:

Looking down Chokecherry hill
http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony/SA-Chokecherry2.jpg

Looking sideways at Chokecherry
http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony/SA-Chokecherry3.jpg

Looking down from Thunder Mountain

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony/SA-thundmt-3.jpg

Devil's Dune

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony/SA-Devil1.jpg

A random dune

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony/SA-bigbowl.jpg

There's a bunch more as well as a lot of videos on my site.

rhandw69
02-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Dang!!
How can I sit here and work now after looking at all these pics. Now all Im wanting to do is pack up the trailer and head to Idaho.
Does anyone know how long of a drive it is from the seattle tacoma area??

Nice pics!

twisted threads
02-21-2003, 08:59 PM
its probley around 12-13 hours.:eek: But very worth the drive!!!:D :cool:

JabberJR
02-22-2003, 12:48 AM
12-13 hours isn't bad.. I wouldn't mind going but have stuff I need to take care of. :rolleyes:

DaveEX7
02-22-2003, 05:47 PM
HOLY CRAP, ive never seen Cherry Choke Hill before. I never realized how huge it was.

Hey QJ, did you ever try it?

QuadJunkies
02-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
HOLY CRAP, ive never seen Cherry Choke Hill before. I never realized how huge it was.

Hey QJ, did you ever try it? No...:( Theres no way my qaud would even come close to makin it up..But Troy will give it a try on the 400ex in July.. We know he wont make it,but we are curious how far up it will go...:D

DaveEX7
02-23-2003, 10:35 AM
I believe someone posted a lil while back, that if your haulin 40hp or more you should make it?

If thats true, most guys probably dont make it unless its a really souped up 440, or a shee.

Sandgod4
02-23-2003, 01:23 PM
I've seen a bone stock Z400 get up. The guy weighed about a 100lbs. 40hp and 175lb rider is about the bordline of making it or not for a four stroke..

G.Z.Racing
02-24-2003, 10:38 PM
it sucks living so far, i would love to go to chokecherry and try it out with the R and the zilla, maybe one day ill make it there, but right now, ill just keep dreaming :(

QuadJunkies
02-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by G.Z.Racing
it sucks living so far, i would love to go to chokecherry and try it out with the R and the zilla, maybe one day ill make it there, but right now, ill just keep dreaming :( And like you, I would love to ride back east.. I would LOVE to ride Hatfiend/Mccoy in Sept. maybe,just maybe...;)

QuadJunkies
02-28-2003, 05:52 AM
heres a lilttle more info I found on St. Anthonys and the size of the huge bowls and choke cherry.:) http://www.extremebuggies.com/onlocation/00063.asp