PDA

View Full Version : Putting my truck to work pulling trailers anything else i should worry about

400exrider69
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I"m getting into puller trailers and hauling everything with my dodge.
Have my own truck and trailers that are paid for and insured.
Anything else i should look out for or think about ?

I'm booking off u ship if that helps

400exrider707
01-05-2011, 05:35 PM
What truck are you using and what trailer setup?

Just stay under your GVWR, and if you're towing real heavy make sure you have the proper licenses.

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Towing will overheat if you dont stay on top of fluids ! and will cut life of tran down.

Tommy Warren
01-05-2011, 07:24 PM
if its a diesel get an exhaust temperature guage and a jake brake (if its a standard(if its auto you have to buy a locking torque converter) that will save some money on brakes.

and get a log book to keep track of hours and mileage

BlaineKaiser450
01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeah pretty much. Just beef up parts that take extra wear. Like all fluids, the tranny, gauges (exhaust, boost, tranny if auto), and that sorta thing.

400exrider707
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
if its a diesel get an exhaust temperature guage and a jake brake (if its a standard(if its auto you have to buy a locking torque converter) that will save some money on brakes.

and get a log book to keep track of hours and mileage

I agree with keeping the log book of hours and mileage, the rest of your post makes no sense at all. You can't just put a jake brake on. You could do an exhaust brake. But you can put those on autos and manuals. All torque converters lock... every single one ever.

tri5ron
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
brakes on the trailer are the most commonly neglected maintaince items on smaller utility type trailers, toyhualers, goosenecks, etc...

Make sure you've got brakes on EVERY wheel of you trailer, not just on a single axle. Also make sure you keep them adjusted more often than you may think they need it.

When I'm carrying my camper, and towing my trailer,... I litterly have to adjust the rear brakes on my dually about every 450-500 miles. and the trailer brakes about every 600-700 miles.

A top of the line brake controller in the cab is also highly recommended. I like the Tekonsha brand of brake controllers.

400exrider69
01-05-2011, 09:34 PM
my trucks a 96 dodge 2500 4x4 with a 12v cummins built trans boost and egt gauge no tranny temp gauge yet
only set up to pull bumper hitch and moment got a goose plate but haven't' installed it

any other recommendations on where to look for possible loads
didn't like the u ship price of $345

CJM
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Flush the trans every 20k and it will last.

Depending on the load you may want to install an extra leaf in your pack or airbags for the rear

woodsracer144
01-06-2011, 09:47 AM
well you got the P7100 / or p pump cummins motor and those you can go to the moon and back with mods.

what are you towing for sure?

my brother has a 05 Duratrash and he has a gooseneck plate in his he added air bags in the rear.

I dont think your truck would have that problem but never know

second thing a exhaust break i dont really feel is worth it, they are a few grand and they hold back exhaust that in my mind should exit as fast as possible. if you know how to break slow you wont really have a problem. I have a 86 F350 Crew cab with a VE pump 12V cummins and I have just the H1c turbo and straight SS exhaust exiting right before the tire, I hauled a 24Ft car trailer and a honda civic that was highly modded and i had some nice sized hills to tackle, the one i had to turn on a electric fan to climb but just got to remember your not in a race so you dont need to wait till the last minute to slam on your breaks and with a trailer loaded i think you would stupid if you did just cause the item could fly foward.

400exrider69
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
i would be pulling cars motorcycles camper's enclosed trailers but after I've looked into licencing fee's and such i'm kinda reconsidering my idea.

derekhonda
01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Not to mention you might need to pick up cargo insurance if it is for a business use im not sure your regular ol' truck insurance would cover any damage to whatever you are hauling. You would also need to check with uship to see what all they have to have, chances are you need the whole meal deal on insurances (work comp, cargo and liability) and permits, not to mention intrastate/interstate authorities on the states you are running.

woodsracer144
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm sure you'll need to get a DOT number. I'm sure if you do what you are talking about the State will get in sooner or later, you'll prolly have to keepa long even though your not running with a CDL