PDA

View Full Version : My Laeger CRF...

CADWELL
01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Well I traded my well built Walsh YFZ and some perks(;)) yesterday for a Laeger CRF. Many will notice that it's been floating around like a foster child, but it's met it's final owner.

I've got alot to learn about it and the CRF motor. I was on Youtube last night to learn how to change the oil on it...any tips and tricks or help would be appreciated...

For now, it will remain they way it sits mechaniclly. Cosmetic wise, it will have ALL Dirt Fiend Racing decals as well as some Precision clamps.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/002.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/001.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/003.jpg

gtilley45
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Congratulations Chris, I know you'd been wanting a hybrid for a while and that looks like a nice one. :cool:

YFZ_Racer42
01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Damn, Socal haven't keep it for long...

01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Very sweet quad.

CADWELL
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the comments guys..

Yeah Grant, I still feel a bit guilty about my YFZ, but I'm sure once I ride it and get used to it I'll like. I really wanted a Walsh, but this one looks like it's been taken care of and is clean so I couldn't pass it up.

It wasn't easy for Socal to get rid of it , but he has his legit reasons and I couldn't thank him enough for the smooth transaction!

motochamp250
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
nice looking bike i can't wait till mine comes...

CADWELL
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Well I decided to change the oil on the bikebefore I get out aand ride it. Just learned the these have 2 seperate oil comparments LOL...Didn't have a problem with the Tranny oil change..but...

The frame is notched by where the motor oil drain plug is located on the engine...but the notch on the frame is just enough to slightly pull the plug out about 1/2" therefore allowing the oil to seep out instaed of drain.

Is this the only way to drain the motor oil other then taking the motor out haha?

kodymx13
01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
yay you got it! gtilley and i were fixin to go to cali and get it if you didnt. the 500 link is a Cadillac and youll think the yfz was a old bronco II.

Derrick Adams
01-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by kodymx13
yay you got it! gtilley and i were fixin to go to cali and get it if you didnt. the 500 link is a Cadillac and youll think the yfz was a old bronco II.

That seems interesting that you would say that since it seems the YFZ was designed after the CR500. They have almost identical ratios, the links are interchangable, and the shock lengths are almost the same as well.

Now the front end of the bike is a whole different story.

You'll love that new bike. So much better handling! Awesome looking bike!!

usp4u
01-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by CADWELL
Well I decided to change the oil on the bikebefore I get out aand ride it. Just learned the these have 2 seperate oil comparments LOL...Didn't have a problem with the Tranny oil change..but...

The frame is notched by where the motor oil drain plug is located on the engine...but the notch on the frame is just enough to slightly pull the plug out about 1/2" therefore allowing the oil to seep out instaed of drain.

Is this the only way to drain the motor oil other then taking the motor out haha?

You just learned lesson #1 of hybrid ownership...Even simple tasks can be "interesting". It's all worth it though !

jrspawn
01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by CADWELL

The notch in the laeger crf frames can be VERY close with allowing the plug to come out. Ive had them were i could barely get the plug all the way out, and have also had them were the plug would not(just like yours). What you can do is remove the front motor mounts and headstay mounts and rock the engine back just enough to pull the plug all the way. Its much easier then it may sound and makes draining everything out easy.

You are gonna love the quad also. Esp. coming from a built YFZ. I have found the closest production quad ride wise to a hybrid are the YFZ's. Like derrick said the rear ends are Very close.

Justin

CADWELL
01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Kodymx- Yeah man, I actually had a trade all worked out for a Walsh/YZ with a guy but he was out of CT. About the the only way I was gonna be able to work that deal out was making a 2600 drive one way :huh ...This guy was in Cali so it was about 12 hours of driving so I settled for a Laeger...

Derrick Adams- That's good to know. I was going over the bike and noticed that the rear link did look very similar to the YFZ set-up. My YFZ had a Walsh '06 swinger, Walsh pull rod with OEM link and a FOX Podium and it handled really good.

jrspawn- Thanks for the tip man. I thought that's probably what I was gonna have to do. I had a light bulb turn on in my head though. I think I'm gonna mod the plug(bolt) by shaving down the girth a bit on a specific area so it allows for more drainage as well as particals...

I LOVED my Walsh YFZ. I had the suspension dialed in just the way they I liked it, but from what I've been told these Laeger T-pin Protraxx with 250r geo. are supposed to be pretty nice :blah:

socal
01-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by kodymx13
yay you got it! gtilley and i were fixin to go to cali and get it if you didnt. the 500 link is a Cadillac and youll think the yfz was a old bronco II. I detest that statement! MY new YFZ is no bronco!!!LOL...The Walsh swingarm and Fox shock work flawless! I think we both ended up with amazing machines,Chris did an amazing job with this YFZ build!:D

Flyin_250r
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I havent ridden a yfz built like yours... but I can guarantee you will LOVE the laeger feel!

quadfmx
01-08-2011, 04:28 AM
What yeR engine is in it

CADWELL
01-08-2011, 07:33 AM
It has the '03 in it.

From what I gather, the '03 are known to where valves out sooner then other year CRF's. I don't have a problem with that though, I regularly maintained my YFZ pretty good so I'll treat this one the same.

socal
01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Why is there an echo in here:confused: LOL.....

Quad18star
01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Awesome looking quad. I've been trying to find one similar to that one. I'd keep the graphics the way they are ... looks perfect the way it sits.

CADWELL
01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Haha....yeah socal my Cricket "broadband" card sucks the sack sometimes LOL...

Thanks Quad18star. The graphics look pretty good on the bike, but I want to give it a more "new school" look with custom graphics...plus Dirt Fiend Racing sponsors me so I want to show them my support.

socal
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Yea,Chris it looks good the way it sits,but based on how good a job you did on my YFZ,I cant wait to see the new look!Are you going to do a matching seat cover?I WAS going to shave about 1 inch of seat foam,possibly doing a hump seat,that would look good to match the newer school look.Cant wait to see pics,and hear a ride report.I will be tearing up Milestone MX on tuesday!!!

CADWELL
01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I'll be honest Tim, the seat is so freakin comfortable man LOL! I'll leave the foam the way it is, but a DFR cover is in the future although the Quad Tech one is in good shape so it can wait.

I hope I can get out and ride it this week, I'm dying man haha...

CADWELL
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Well it's pretty much ready for the 2011 season. I installed all new DFR graphics, number plates and Grip Its. Also I sold the Flexx bars and bought some Precision clamps. IMO the Precision are a better product that perform as good or a bit better plus it's a cleaner look and there is zero maintnance compared to the Flexx bars.

This thing handles pretty awesome and corners like a mug. It turns on a dime and pulls pretty hard out of the corners. It's a bit lighter then my old YFZ and makes it easier to throw around in the air.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/001-1.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/002-1.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/005.jpg

Also I found somewhat of a decent fix for the oil drain bolt. I litteraly had to unbolt everything that the motor was attached to to get the bolt completely out. Not sure about other Laeger/CRF450's but on this frame it only comes out about 3/4" and my first oil change took for ever to drain. I also questioned if particals could even drain so I modded up the bolt to allow for more drainage. I change my oil about every 5 gal. of fuel so this should make it easier :D

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc197/buttmusk/Laeger%20CRF/089.jpg

hontrx265r
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Bike looks great! Really good simple clean up you did that makes it look completely different. I'm going to get back to working on mine this weekend. Hope to finish up in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to meet up and compare our bikes should be pretty interesting their setups appear to be near identical fuel inj. vs carb. Good stuff.

judecrf
02-04-2011, 04:35 AM
great looking bike well done :)

fandl450r
02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Sooooo jealous. It looks awesome!

socal
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Man Chris,that looks bad *****.DFR has some real nice graphics.Blends in good!

CADWELL
02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Yeah hontrx265r that thing should be bad *** once it's done. It'll be cool to see a few hybrids out at the track. We're hitting up Motoland this Sun in Casa Gande...should be fun!

Quad18star
02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
The new graphics look great

02-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Quad looks awesome.

CADWELL, pm sent.

hontrx265r
02-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I think we are going out to grinding stone if you change your mind on motoland. I won't have the crf but going to play on the dirtbike and my friends trx450

outacontrol
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
looks awesome. makes me miss my laeger a little...

CADWELL
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by outacontrol
looks awesome. makes me miss my laeger a little...

I think we had pretty similar Laeger's, but I think I remember yours being a narrow frame. It was a nice hybrid for sure. Thanks for the compliment BTW!

hontrx265r- we ended up at Motoland for the weekend. I think I may be able to make the first round of the AMX series there this weekend so hopefully it helped at bit.