PDA

View Full Version : 04 450r trail worthy upgrades

jmpk
01-05-2011, 06:55 AM
I've used the search option and come up with so much info that I'm having trouble making sense of it all. I have an 04 450r that I trailride with(tight to open trails with slow technical sections). I'm looking for ways to make the 450 more friendly with my type of riding(also ride with my 7 year old and wife) which slows the pace sometimes. I'm thinking about a cam,air filter,jetting and slipon to give it more low end grunt to avoid having to clutch it so much. First is this possible to accomplish with the 450 without breaking the bank?. Second which cam,filter,jet,slipon should I get. Can I go with a different higher flow arrestor setup in the factory exhaust to keep the cost down? Man I'm confused.

jpfmotors
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
first I would change the front sproket to a 13 stock is 14 in tight woods you would not have to shift as much

jmpk
01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Sorry I should have added that I do have a 13

Ruf Racing
01-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Then maybe add a couple teeth to the rear sprocket. The 450R isn't the best quad for the tight, technical trails.

jpfmotors
01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
adding cams or exhaust will not make it any easyer in tight trails you can make it more comfy though just by sending your stock shocks out to derisi for a revalves and the quad will be so much easyer to ride other than that make sure you cluch cable and levers are lubed properly so its very easy to shift gears

-TheDude-
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
suspension and tires/rims and skidplates

GTRider256
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
You could add a hydralic clutch from magura or a rekluse clutch

MR4Engine202
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
"adding cams or exhaust will not make it any easyer in tight trails you can make it more comfy though just by sending your stock shocks out to derisi for a revalves and the quad will be so much easyer to ride other than that make sure you cluch cable and levers are lubed properly so its very easy to shift gears"

agerred there .....if your looking for more power then go with a slip on first and work your way up in power as you go until u have decided its enough for what you do...one thing that helps the 04-05 in tight woods is a heavier flywheel ....more inertia so it can sustain lower rpm easier....or the best bet would be a rekluse clutch

MtnEX
01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, if I were you I think I'd do a Rekluse first up.

The heavier flywheel is what it needs, but good luck finding one. I tried to plan out a 450R build to go to one quad instead of a 450 and a 400. Couldn't find that part.

Rich250RRacer
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
The heavier flywheel was the best mod I did on my '04 for racing harescrambles. Like the guy above me said, good luck finding one now. Trail Tech was the only company to make them, and they are no longer listed in their catalog.

jmpk
01-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys The info helped me make my mind up . I traded the 450 for something that fit my riding style better. Loved the 450 but where I ride it was like walking a thoroughbred in your front yard.

chronicsmoke
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
What did you get?

jmpk
01-10-2011, 04:31 AM
I traded for an LTZ 400(03) with extremely low hours. It just had a full Yosh system put on it,Jetted, ITP T-9 Baja rims,Razor 2s,Proarmor fat pegs nerfs ,full PRM skids-a arm skids also. Everything on it is in new condition. I got to take it out for a bit yesterday and I gotta say it runs strong, quick when I want it but I could lug it around at low rpms without stalling. Pretty happy so far all I need to do is upgrade the front shocks and I'd like to add a pro taper. Thanks for asking.

MtnEX
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by jmpk
I traded for an LTZ 400(03) with extremely low hours. It just had a full Yosh system put on it,Jetted, ITP T-9 Baja rims,Razor 2s,Proarmor fat pegs nerfs ,full PRM skids-a arm skids also. Everything on it is in new condition. I got to take it out for a bit yesterday and I gotta say it runs strong, quick when I want it but I could lug it around at low rpms without stalling. Pretty happy so far all I need to do is upgrade the front shocks and I'd like to add a pro taper. Thanks for asking.

Very good choice in my opinion and I think you will be very happy with that.

Do suspension...

And keep a very close eye on the frame. It's the same as the 450R you had in that respect...
As in they don't sell gusset kits for them nothing.

Look at the kits and inspect the areas where the gussets go. Or when you get a chance, just have a gusset kit installed.

I think I would like to do a 2009 Z400 with a big bore kit myself... I could even do the 450cc kit.