PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Starter just spins

IMSROLL450R
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey fellas, I just picked up a 300ex for 600 bucks thats VERY built with a full 400ex swap on suspension etc. When I try to start it the starter just spins. It doesn't turn the engine over. Anyone know what that means? Thanks.

QuadCobbler
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
it is probly the bendix. DONT smack the side with a hammer, youll break the magnets. Unbolt the starter and spray penitrating oil on the end of the shaft and check to see if the gear move in and out.

IMSROLL450R
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by QuadCobbler
it is probly the bendix. DONT smack the side with a hammer, youll break the magnets. Unbolt the starter and spray penitrating oil on the end of the shaft and check to see if the gear move in and out.

Awesome man thanks I will for sure. Got a sweet deal on this thing for 600 bucks. Hopefully that works. I was unsure if these starters were about the same as the 400ex. Sounds similar.

smr
01-05-2011, 06:01 AM
300ex starter doesn't have a bendix. It's your starter clutch. It is located behind the fly wheel. Easy to install but you will need a fly wheel puller.

QuadCobbler
01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
wow did not know that, guess I just never look at my starter. I looked in my free 300ex manual (thanks again) and it is like you said, it has a clutch or a one way bearing. It is very similar to a one way bearing in an Nitro RC car pull start. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the starter is also a generator that chagres the battery.
This would mean if ur battery is not charging than the stater gear is not being turned by the motor. if the battery is charging but the starter just spins freely than there is a problem between the starter gear and the one way bearing.

smr
01-05-2011, 08:23 AM
the batery is charged by the stator. (look carful that doesn't say starter.) Starter has nothing to do with the charging.

There is a gear between the starter and the clutch but most likely your problem is the starter clutch.

QuadCobbler
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
wow, no I really feel stupid, stator, starter whats the diff, JK. Ya I guess reading post while at work is not a good idea, always in a hurry at work. Anyway, so after the motor starts even though the crank shaft is truning the starter gear is no longer sping do to the clutch, one way bearing being disengauged?

IMSROLL450R
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Ok I got the starter clutch figured out now but theres a loud ticking sound from the top end when it tries to start. Like its out of time or has dropped a valve. Guess I will pull the head tonight and see whats up. Any ideas or problems you all may have had with yours? It has compression but backfires like its out of time....

smr
01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by QuadCobbler
wow, no I really feel stupid, stator, starter whats the diff, JK. Ya I guess reading post while at work is not a good idea, always in a hurry at work. Anyway, so after the motor starts even though the crank shaft is truning the starter gear is no longer sping do to the clutch, one way bearing being disengauged?

LOL..that was good. You had me for just a moment (until I read the rest of your post). I really was afraid you would read that fast and think I misspelled starter.

You are correct. The clutch(thats what I always called it) / one way bearing disengauges when the crank spins faster then the starter. Then the starter stops spinning after you let your finger off the butten.

now for the tick....check the valve clearnce first. I set both intake and exhuast at .004 (for reference that is a slither cut out of a beer can folded over once...:D ) If valve clearance is good then check the timing.

IMSROLL450R
01-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by smr
LOL..that was good. You had me for just a moment (until I read the rest of your post). I really was afraid you would read that fast and think I misspelled starter.

You are correct. The clutch(thats what I always called it) / one way bearing disengauges when the crank spins faster then the starter. Then the starter stops spinning after you let your finger off the butten.

now for the tick....check the valve clearnce first. I set both intake and exhuast at .004 (for reference that is a slither cut out of a beer can folded over once...:D ) If valve clearance is good then check the timing.

Ok I will do that and see. I've never worked on a 300 but it can't be that much different than the 400 I guess. Thanks man.