PDA

View Full Version : Went fast one time in truck now service engine lights on

01-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Like the title says, my dad was driving my new truck and he kinda floored it one time and now the service engine lights on. I got it inspected today before the light came on and everything passed except i have to get a knob for the lights. I was going to bring it back tomorrow after i put a knob on it but now the freakin lights on. Ive heard that you can reset the light by disconnecting the batter for 30 minutes, and truth to it?

Scro
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
It will normally reset when you disconnect the battery for a while. That will probably get it past inspection. You can take it to Autozone, or the likes, and they can tell you what the light is coming on for.

slightlybent47
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
We need to know what year and make the truck is.

rubbersdown
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Not 100% sure about OBDI but If your truck is OBDII (96+) You cant just reset the light and go get it inspected. The motor has to be run to temp (closed loop) for a minimum number of miles or up to 3 heat cycles. If you take it to the mvd without doing so they will be able to tell that you had a code that you cleared and it will not pass anyway so just figure out what the problem is and fix it before you go.

CJM
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
OBD I or II you disconnect the battery and drive it for about 20 m iles and if the light doesnt come back on your good.

Really need to know the truck make and model and what the code means. vatozone can read it for you.

01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Should i reconnect the battery before i drive it 20 miles cjm? :p Its a 96 Chevy truck 4wd cheyenne

CJM
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Obviously reconnect it lol.

But really need to find out what the code is, it may store it but scanning it before you disconnect the battery is a good idea.

300ex_#387
01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
You could try cleaning your MAF.

chucked
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Whens the last time you changed the air in your tires?

quad2xtreme
01-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Not 100% sure about OBDI but If your truck is OBDII (96+) You cant just reset the light and go get it inspected. The motor has to be run to temp (closed loop) for a minimum number of miles or up to 3 heat cycles. If you take it to the mvd without doing so they will be able to tell that you had a code that you cleared and it will not pass anyway so just figure out what the problem is and fix it before you go.

I tried disconnecting my battery so I could get my car inspected and sure enough they knew I did this (lived in Maryland at the time). I had to wait a week to bring it back in...in the mean time the light came on again so I actually had to get the problem fixed or spend a certain amount of money trying to resolve the issue.

redrocker
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Is it a diesel ?
it could have over fueled
if that is the case it will
shut off after so many
cycles of the key and
being driven good luck

01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Im pretty sure hes not going to check anything but the light knob when get there since hes already checked everything else. I might just bring it up there with the light on. First im going to try disconnecting the battery though. Thanks for the help guys. Chucked i just got this truck so i dont know about the tires. I was going to change the air after i put some more turn signal fluid in and put a new d valve in the fan belt.

01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
redrocker its not a diesel.

chucked
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Ooo, cuz having the wrong air in tge tires can make all sorts of stuff act up. Have autozone check the code.

fastredrider44
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Have an auto parts store check the code, remember it, clear the code, and then go get it inspected. If it comes back on the second time, then you need to get something fixed. How many miles are on the truck? I have a couple of guesses what it might be anyway.

TCracin440ex
01-05-2011, 03:42 PM
ill be willing to bet the reason your SES light came on is because of an O2 sensor. best thing to do is take it to autozone and they can put the scanner on it and tell you exactly what it is. ill be willin to bet either a o2 sensor or something minor to that sort.