PDA

View Full Version : adjusting works shocks?

ACracin300ex
02-12-2003, 09:03 AM
my dad just bought works for my brothres honda 250x. They are white and blue and have a rezzie for each shock with a stainless steel braided line running to each rezzie. We are interested in how to adjust these shocks. It looks like there is a threaded collar up top, and only 1 nut, but when you compress the shock, and turn the nut on the collar, nothing happens. We need to adjust these shocks because it is to rough of a ride, and the quad sits with the front sky high, (it looks ridiculous) any help is appreciated as always

02-12-2003, 09:08 AM
they may not be compresion adjustable. moving the top collar that holds the top spring up on the body will help lower the quad. they may need to be sent in to be revaled.

Zingnut
02-12-2003, 09:38 AM
My Works shocks are not threaded but look like they could be mistaken for them. Mine have a small c-clip that fits in the groove and a aluminum retaining ring goes over it so it does not slip out of the groove. Compress the spring (I use a towel and vice grips, towel so I do not scratch the spring) and see if that top aluminum retaining ring slides down exposing the c-clip. I attached a pic of my shocks so you can see if you have the same preload adjustment as mine have.

Hope this helps....

http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/shock.jpg

boogiechile
02-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Turning the nut on the threaded top will adjust the ride height and you can lower it using the nut. You may need to move the threaded collar up though. Your shocks should look like the ones Zingnut posted a picture of under the collars. The collars are held on by the c clip like the top spring seat is on his. you can knock the collar down to expose the c clip with the spring off and then raise the c clip to a higher position. You will only need to do this if you cant lower it enough with the threaded collar where it is. Another thing to look out for with a threaded collar is that as you lower it down by screwing the nut up the collar extends down and becoms part of the crossover system. It is like you put a wider crossover ring in. If too much of the travel of the tender spring is taken up because of the collar then you will need to raise the c clip holding the collar anyway.