PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo

One_Bad_400
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I've got an armadillo hanging out in my back yard. I've been seeing him for a couple weeks now. Are they dangerous animals or do any distruction?!?! Should I leave him be, or blast him with some lead.

Ichoptop
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Why kill something that isnt trying to kill you?

They tend to like to tunnel and dig up roots. I use to turn the dogs loose when I lived outside of Ft. Worth to chase them off. Eventually they would just stay out of the yard.

They are kind of fun to sit on the porch with a beer and watch.

madskrillz2
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Haha what looks dangerous about an armadillo? All they do is root in your yard. Just ran after them or get a dog to chase em off.

sexysilverado45
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Kill it

they make a pretty good soup bowl also pretty good anti brain wave scanner. - dukes of hazard

One_Bad_400
01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
I just didn't know if it would tear up stuff in or around my shed or try and claw my dogs.

I brought my girlfriend and dog down to check it out. needless to say, I underestimated the stength of these cridders. 410 buckshot didn't do the job. With a 3" hole blown in him, he was still chasing us. Next time one comes after me, I'll use the 12ga.

madskrillz2
01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
I just didn't know if it would tear up stuff in or around my shed or try and claw my dogs.

I brought my girlfriend and dog down to check it out. needless to say, I underestimated the stength of these cridders. 410 buckshot didn't do the job. With a 3" hole blown in him, he was still chasing us. Next time one comes after me, I'll use the 12ga.

You didn't have to kill it. You can just run em off. But yeah they are strong and can move pretty quick when they want to. Wouldn't think that by looking at them.

madskrillz2
01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
Kill it

they make a pretty good soup bowl also pretty good anti brain wave scanner. - dukes of hazard

I know that's a funny quote but I wouldn't recommend anybody actually trying to use it as a soup bowl. The things carry leprosy

Pappy
01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I was having fun with several of them in the everglades.....until I realized they were alligator food and we were only a few feet from the water:p

Armored Opposum LOL!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC5355/806010781_CxYGi-L.jpg

slightlybent47
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Don’t kill it. It won’t hurt anything. The worst it can do is dig a few holes. I used to catch them bare handed when I was a kid. You can pick them up by the tail and they can’t get you, just hold them out to the side where they can’t scratch you. The first thing they will do is try to get away from you by jumping strait up in the air and then they run like hell. If you corner one up it will play possum till you leave them alone.
They can’t see very well and if you are quiet you can sneak up on it and grab it by the tail and pick it up off the ground. If they are in a hole it’s hard to pull them out because they hold on pretty tight. Once you have him in hand just put him in a trash can and haul him off and set him free.

Tommy Warren
01-04-2011, 05:57 PM
do they bite or scratch? I wish we had those in canada:eek2:

One_Bad_400
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
do they bite or scratch? I wish we had those in canada:eek2:

If you can see those big claws, i can imagine they could do some damage

slightlybent47
01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Yes if you try to handle them without being careful they will bite and scratch just like any wild animal will if caught. They have small teeth so a pair of welding gloves will work to protect you from a bite. But grabbing the tail and holding them out away from you is safe and easy to do. They get quite heavy holding them out like that so be ready with a trash can to put it in. They can hear very well so sneaking up with leaves on the ground is hard to do. They will generally forage around and when they come up to a log or something like that they will almost always follow along the log. This is where you can trap them in a live trap by placing the trap along a log or wall, instead of out in the open.
I love to let them walk up close and then scare them, they always jump strait up like a cat and then haul *****.lol There fun to watch.

slightlybent47
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
If you get within about ten feet to it and you’re behind it, run up quickly and grab the tail and jerk it up off the ground, making sure you hold it out away from you. Get a tight grip as the tail is tapered and is very slick, plus it will squirm around trying to get away. Once you have him and handle it a few minuets it will curl up and use its shell for protection and play possum. But as soon as you let go it will take off.

slightlybent47
01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I think they eat, worms, grub worms, June bugs, roots, things like that.

CJM
01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
about all it might do is dig up your yard, it does chase it away.

3400ben
01-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I wish we had those in canada:eek2:

But you have bullwinkles! Moose are way cooler

Tommy Warren
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
But you have bullwinkles! Moose are way cooler

I tried to pick a moose up by the tail.....its just not as much fun:cool:

smr
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
cook it up...they taste just like pork.

make sure you cut the feet off before you skin it as someone else said, they do carry leporsy.

slightlybent47
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Armadillo vs. car and armadillo goes splat!
Moose vs. car and car goes splat!
I’ll take the armadillo every time thank you.
Though a good moose burger is hard too beet!

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I thought people keep them as pets? is this true?

madskrillz2
01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
I thought people keep them as pets? is this true?

I wouldn't doubt it. I've see people with Raccoons and yes, possums, as pets so who knows.

Tommy Warren
01-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Armadillo vs. car and armadillo goes splat!
Moose vs. car and car goes splat!
I’ll take the armadillo every time thank you.
Though a good moose burger is hard too beet!

I had moose stew last night:macho great stuff

Kickstarts-suck
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
My dog was getting one every night for a while... I had to go out there and put them out of their misery.. :(

I like armadillos. Cool little things. They have never bothered me or hurt anything so I have no problem with them.

If it doesn't bother me I don't bother it.