PDA

View Full Version : Push start button

JimmyJ1387
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I bought a 2003 Honda 300ex and the wiring is at 97% complete. They bought a new handle bar switch. it doesnt have the key because its by passed and in order to start the bike u have to hot start it by the cylinoid. Whats the correct way to by pass the key because they have it all going to the head light plug and all i want is to have the push button to work so i dont have to keep hot starting it. Theres a wire plugged into the right side of light plug and going to the botton slot on the light plug with a wire connected to the red wire going to the handle bar switch. in order to have bike start u gotta push the headlight button then hot start it so any idea guys on how to make the push button work??? im thinking wire it to the starter its self.

wilkin250r
01-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I can help you figure it out, I'm an electrical engineer. But I don't have the answer right now because I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

But I can certainly help you get there. Do you have a multimeter, capable of measuring voltage, and resistance? And do you know how to use it properly, selecting the proper range, and all of that stuff?

JimmyJ1387
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
i have a ohms meter will that work. im goig to school for electricain. I kno how to use it. i used on my old blaster to check to see if its getting the right current

JimmyJ1387
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
on this pic there is a red wire connecting to the top of plug and left side and there is a red wire (ignition wire) tied with the left side wire

fearlessfred
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
well, i am a brain surgen, who does not know how to spell. just kidding about the brain surgen part ,but i do have a roofers card and i might be able to help a little .just wanted to say to keep in mind that the safty neutral switch is part of the wiring to the solinoid. if i remember correctly (i really dont remember if i have ever even worked on a 300 ex before ) the safty neatral switch provides the grounding for the solinoid to work. welcome and good luck

wilkin250r
01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Let's not worry about the particulars of the wiring setup you have now, because it's not correct, so we're going to change it. We're going to fix it correctly, and then rip everything else out.

In your first post, you said "any idea guys on how to make the push button work??? im thinking wire it to the starter its self." That won't work. You can't wire the starter itself, it pulls too much power, the button can't handle that amount of power. That's the whole reason you have a solenoid.

So let's start there. Can you locate the starter solenoid? It should be right next to the battery, and it should have two BIG wires on it, and two small wires on it.

wilkin250r
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
What I'm thinking is that somebody did this because something broke, so we should find out what that is. It might be the button itself, it might be the solenoid, or it might be the reverse inhibitor.

If it's the solenoid, you'll have to replace it, or continue the same way you do now. You won't be able to use the button without the solenoid.

If it's the reverse inhibitor, I think we can bypass it.

If it's the button, you will either need to replace it, or get a cheap alternative.

JimmyJ1387
01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
what happen was the person that owned it b4 me bought a new harness and got everything right except going to the handle bar switch so thats the current prob but i will check out the solinoid idea if i run both wires to it and see if it will start up that way

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
what you can do is buy key switch assembly then run it like its originally intended. it better than trying to wire to to a button switch IMO.

JimmyJ1387
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
i wanna by pass it because its a pain with the key because on my warrior it would fall out i rather just hop on and push button

Trxman300
01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
if your worried about the key falling out, just get a teather switch (my oppinon). the good about a teather is that if you hook it up and fall off rear a river or mudhole, the quad wont go idleing in and leave you a good ol' time getting it out.. im sure you knew that anyways :/

fearlessfred
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/repair-maintenance/5850-97-300ex-reverse-inhibitor-unit.html
this will tell you how to do it

RATPACK Z400
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Ive never seen the key fall out ever ! maybe cause it worn out (key) but you better off with key than you dont have to worry someone stealing it so fast!

wilkin250r
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
We can bypass the key, no problem. I've done it on several quads. The only danger to bypassing key is, like Ratpack said, it's just that much easier to steal. The key switch might also be connected to a relay or something in the reverse inhibitor, so leaving the key "on" (which you'll need to do to bypass it), you might drain the battery.

But we can find that stuff out, no problem.

JimmyJ1387
01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I have no worries on it being stolen i keep it in my other room of the garage and as far as battery draining i can just unplug the battery i just want it to work functionally

JimmyJ1387
01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I just want the key bypass i will try to get sum pics of what is going on