PDA

View Full Version : Front ice tires

jpfmotors
01-04-2011, 05:21 AM
I am racing a local series in mass a lotof the pro guys are running dual ribbed sandstars laced with studs on both ribs I am running razor 2s with 6 studds per center knob and 4 on the side knobs just wondering whats the best set up. I have the opertunity to get some sandstars kinda cheap thanks

hotrodbelair
01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
ive always ran razor mx with 4 studs per center nob and 2 on the side lugs there is a such thing as to many studs u start to lose ground pressure.

in our series you will mostly see either the razor mx or itp holeshot tires.

fast trekers use to be the thing to run but there slowing phasing out, I never liked how they handled.

The only time ive seen front sand stars was on rubber quads. but if the pro guys are running them and it works well for them then i dont see why they wouldnt work for you.

hope this helps just figured id let ya know what we run in our series.

iceracer17
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
We use to run ribbed studded in dist 16 about 20yrs ago. They were great in the groove but once you got in the ice dust they just pushed out.
I found dirt hooks worked best for me. They had solid knobs that didn't flex a whole lot.But i've been out of it for 7yrs and newer and better are probably out there.

jpfmotors
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
heres what i got I think my razors might have to many studs I can remove some caose they dont go throught how many you think i should have per knob on these or try the sand stars

hotrodbelair
01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by iceracer17
We use to run ribbed studded in dist 16 about 20yrs ago. They were great in the groove but once you got in the ice dust they just pushed out.
I found dirt hooks worked best for me. They had solid knobs that didn't flex a whole lot.But i've been out of it for 7yrs and newer and better are probably out there.

I forgot about the dirt hooks see a few of those around. My buddy use to race he swears by them.

The out side lugs look good. in the middle lugs I just ran 4 studs on the corners of the lug.

The sand stars I can see losing traction when in the snow dust. another thing I was worried about is when your hard in a corner and the tire starts to roll losing that narrow contact you have with the studs in the ice.

Did you have any issues running those tires last year?

DnB_racing
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
I am racing a local series in mass a lotof the pro guys are running dual ribbed sandstars laced with studs on both ribs I am running razor 2s with 6 studds per center knob and 4 on the side knobs just wondering whats the best set up. I have the opertunity to get some sandstars kinda cheap thanks where in Mass are the races Im from mass and im looking for some places to ride!!???

jpfmotors
01-05-2011, 06:22 AM
I had a little trouble entering a turn like i would turn the wheels and the front would just slid a bit I would really have to through my weight to the front to get them to bite. I was thinking of running a little extra camber with the sand stars so they stay biting in the corners

The races are held sundays at sun valley resort in stafford springs ct. its just over the border into ct. more info at A1parts.biz

hotrodbelair
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Have you ever sharpened ur studs? makes a big difference especialy if your running on realy hard ice. other wise if it steers hard going into the corner bring your right rear wheel out if you can or if it aint already that helps,but will loosenin it up all the way through the corner. or lowering your front end a little bit to help with steering into the corner.

other wise if there cheap enough for you just try them out or if the guy will let you try them out before you buy see what ya think ive never ran them. I dont see how they can be much better than what you have since on your razors you have a wider area of studs. but who knows if the fast guys are using them they cant be to bad.

jpfmotors
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
what do you recommend to sharpen them just a traingle file or is there some magic trick thats a lot of studs to sharppen but whatever helps

hotrodbelair
01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
theres a sharpening bit for it that you use in a drill ill see if i can find it online. it dont take to long to do.

jpfmotors
01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I think i am going to try taking those middle studs out and try that before trying the other ones I only have one set of rims

hotrodbelair
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I cant find it Ill try getting ahold of a buddy of mine that has one see where he got his i think he just got it from a hardware store. just a little stone bit with a rounded tip that fits in the cup of the stud.

jpfmotors
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
If you could find out or a pic of what it looks like that would be great thanks for the help