PDA

View Full Version : 08 400ex advice

jmpk
01-04-2011, 05:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys I need your advice. I have an 04 450r that is truely in outstanding shape that I have been looking to trade for a 400ex. I found someone who is interested that has an 08 with a couple of issues. The rear axle is bent for one. He says it happened when unloading from a pickup. The grab handle is also bent up about 2" and it backfires when you get on the gas but it will hold an idle. He did install a K&N and nothing else so I don't know if that could do it. My question is I know it takes alot to bend that axle and the backfiring my be an issue. Does this sound like something I should avoid or are these issues ,for the most part, can be corrected easily. Is there anything else I should look for to determine if the damage is more extensive? Thanks in advance for your help.

evan402
01-04-2011, 07:31 AM
umm first off why are you trading a 450r down to a 400ex?

Second, you should be able to trade for one in perfect condition. Ill trade you mine straight across for your 450r. Even tho his is 4 years newer you have the upper hand in this trade, make sure and use it. I would have him buy a new axle and install it before the trade.

My 2 cents anyways

jmpk
01-04-2011, 07:52 AM
trading isnt something I want to do. With that said I have a 7year old and wife who I ride with now and the 450 wants to haul reverse and electric start would just make life easier. Crawling through the trails as they follow can be a PITA sometimes on the 450.

honda400ex2003
01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
I would say that you should be able to find a clean one trading. your 04 should be worth about the same as an 08 400 but it could be a bit less toward the 450.

agreed on the 400 compared to the 450. it is a much easier ride through the woods. your family will appreciate the switch.

steve