PDA

View Full Version : Most popular or best performing slip on

JBacon
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
What are yall's opinions on slip-ons for the 400EX with an aftermarket air filter and of course rejetting?

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 09:03 PM
just a bit of info for you for the future... the search button at the top does wonders. even if you want to search for on and it doesnt let you. you can use *on* and you will be good to go or all one word as slipon.

I feel that the FMF Q4 is a forerunner at this point in the game. it is the quietest available and still makes good power.

I like my t-4 too though, it is freer flowing and not overly loud. legal in 99% of places riding.

curtis sparks and HMF will be the other two big players but are quite loud compared to most.

It really depends on where you want your power though, the q4 is a good low end exhaust, PC t4 is a good low and mid exhaust, while hmf and sparks are both top end exhausts.

give a search and see what comes up. you will find all kinds of good info.

steve

jcs003
01-04-2011, 01:48 AM
trojan...

stroked 400ex
01-04-2011, 06:17 AM
i have a full hmf and the power difference was amazing... it performed better than my fmf... out of the exhausts i had (procircuit, fmf, hmf and dg hmf was the best) and yes it is a little to loud you can buy silencers for them like $25

Ian400ex
01-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Kinda painful to see this asked again, glad eveyone played nice. :D :rolleyes:

JBacon
01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes youngbuck Ian400ex I did ask it again. Yes I knew there were more threads on this in the past I'm pretty sure that's obvious. I was looking for more responses and new ones. :D

bherriman
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Just my personal opinion, but I think HMF pipes are absolute garbage. They sound absolutely awful and hardly add any power. I have rode two 400 ex's before and after adding the HMF one with a HMF sport series, and one with the competition series and neither added a noticeable power gain. Did I mention I can't stand the way they sound?

I currently have and FMF, which sounds good and did add some power, but I'm looking for something that flows a bit better. I want and LRD, but cant find one anywhere so I'm starting to lean towards the Big Gun Evo R.

99400esex
01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
Just my personal opinion, but I think HMF pipes are absolute garbage. They sound absolutely awful and hardly add any power. I have rode two 400 ex's before and after adding the HMF one with a HMF sport series, and one with the competition series and neither added a noticeable power gain. Did I mention I can't stand the way they sound?

I currently have and FMF, which sounds good and did add some power, but I'm looking for something that flows a bit better. I want and LRD, but cant find one anywhere so I'm starting to lean towards the Big Gun Evo R.

What makes them sound so awful? Just wondering because HMF was a contender for my next exhaust.

bherriman
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Many people love HMF, however, I do not. They have a higher sounding pitch to them especially at higher RPMs and it just drives me nuts lol. Go to youtube and listen to some sound clips of a Big Gun, Yosh, Pro cicuit, and LRD on a 400. Then listen to an HMF, you might like the sound ( as many others do) it just doesn't fit me. The sparks pipe is also higher pitched, but it at least ads some good HP. This is just my personal opinion, just listen for yourself

GTRider256
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I loved my pro circuit T-4 on my 400 so much that when I get some moola together I'm getting one for the 450

jelrod05
01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
two brothers i love it great sound and adds power

AtvKid4Eva
01-06-2011, 05:20 AM
A Full HMF has a very deep throaty sound and i think they sound great and add a ton of power with a built motor.

ohiomotoxer
01-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Just wondering to those that dont like HMF, have you ever been to a GNCC?
HMF pipes are on 90% of the quads and we do have race support at the track to do repacking or whatever you need.
We have a cook out on Friday evening for all to come and eat or just hang out....we support the rider.
You don't see that at the other exhaust pipe manufacturers trucks......

I drive the race support truck.

Napalm Nate
01-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I love my HMF

99400esex
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ohiomotoxer
Just wondering to those that dont like HMF, have you ever been to a GNCC?
HMF pipes are on 90% of the quads and we do have race support at the track to do repacking or whatever you need.
We have a cook out on Friday evening for all to come and eat or just hang out....we support the rider.
You don't see that at the other exhaust pipe manufacturers trucks......

I drive the race support truck.

Im wondering why people dont like hmf too.

bherriman
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
Im wondering why people dont like hmf too.

Don't let my word speak for others. Many people love HMF, I just happen to hate them. Like I said before they have a higher pitch/tone in the upper RPM that drives me nuts and out of the 2 quads I rode (one with a sport series and one with the comp. series) neither added much power. Honestly I could care less if HMF comes to the races to repack your mufflers for you and gives you a free hamburger. I choose an exhaust for sound and performance, not free food.

anderson3064
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by GTRider256
I loved my pro circuit T-4 on my 400 so much that when I get some moola together I'm getting one for the 450
X2......had one on each of my 400ex's. very crisp sound and definitly felt the difference, i loved it. I never owned a HMF. brother N law did and loved it, My buddy had one on his 660r and jeesh you could hear him a mile away. guess its just rider preference. I actually wanted a yoshi but the honda store only had the T4's so i got it...thank god

ohiomotoxer
01-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Well, IF you ever DO come to any of the GNCC races, stop by anyway and say Hi.
Everyone is welcome,,,,,even if you don't have our exhaust.

FYI hamburgers and hot dogs usually aren't on the menu.
Our team cook/sponsored rider treats everyone to the best. He gets steaks and chicken from his butcher, add corn on the cob, salad and whatever dishes our wives send along makes for a great Friday night feast.

Originally posted by bherriman
Honestly I could care less if HMF comes to the races to repack your mufflers for you and gives you a free hamburger. I choose an exhaust for sound and performance, not free food.

bherriman
01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Here decide for yourself, its all personal preference anyway.

HMF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIbicAEt2w&feature=related

FMF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWb_pOw1psw&feature=related

BIG GUN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0TS1n1zOec

YOSH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6EVKQNEZfM&feature=related

PRO CIRCUIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJ5H0WRLqY

LRD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfw82GUPZak

SPARKS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vLHFa8dWc&feature=related

HondaPohl
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I like the HMF

01 400EXer
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I really like how mine performs, it just agrivates me when idling or with a little gas it sounds like the thing is vibrating. I contacted HMF and the first thing they asked, does it sounds like a plastic bag behind the exhaust, which it does. They responded that is normal. I can't stand that part of the exhaust but everything else about it is great.

Is there a fix for this ohiomotoxer?

HondaPohl
01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I noticed on my HMF that the rivets are starting to loosen up on the inlet of the pipe. I think i get a little rattle from that.

BenHonda400ex
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Full Exhaust= Curtis Sparks... If you want a loud pipe that scares the **** out of you them buy it not that much bottom end but it's alot faster!

HondaPohl
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Sparks definetly has a bad *** setup. Had it on another quad. Was loud as ****!

BenHonda400ex
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
Sparks definetly has a bad *** setup. Had it on another quad. Was loud as ****! Haha. This guy knows his stuff

01 400EXer
01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I just had HMF repack mine over the summer. My rivets seem tight and as soon as I put one of my fingers on top overhanging the tip the plastic bag sound disappears.

Honda4LifeWes36
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
What are your guys reviews on White Brothers exhaust. Thats what I run on mine and I like the overall sound of the exhaust. not too loud not too quiet.

Just wondering because none of you mentioned it in the thread..

BenHonda400ex
01-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I saw a 400 shootout along time ago and I think it said the best peforming exhaust was like the Sparks and then it was the White Brothers.. I can't remember any full exhaust will give you power