PDA

View Full Version : timing keys?

finsteratv
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
i know a timing key commonly the sparks key is used to advance timing. i also noticed that wheelie on here machines some. while looking at keys ive seen how much it advances the timing +4,+6 and on and on.im just wondering which gives you the best gains on a sock motor and the differences between keys? sorry about the long post haha:p

CJM
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
sparks key is +6 and use on anything with a compression ration of 10:1 or lower.

Where you run into trouble and why wheelie makes other versions is if you have an 11:1 or 12:1 piston. The timing advance with as sparks key causes to much heat and thus you need something lesser.

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
wheelie on here makes the 3 and 4 degree keys.

sparks makes the 6 degree.

I second marcs comment on the 10:1. 11:1 is good with the 3 degree though in some cases. I will be testing it a bit more this spring with both the 3 and 6 just to see how it does.

most of the time if you want to run 11:1 and a 6 you would have to run 110 octane or other race gas.

steve

finsteratv
01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
haha alright thanks guys just "learning"my keys and the applications for them :p

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
no problem. it all depends on the setup really. I feel it is more of a top end type of mod along with a bit bette throttle response throughout. the 3 is more mid compared to the 6. the stocker is more low than the 3. the 3 is a good all around one imo with a 10:1 setup. I have it currently with mine and like it alot. I think i will probably leave it in when i do my 440 this spring and see how it does on 91 or 93 octane. im keeping my fingers crossed cause i dont wanna buy race gas for it. I will put the stocker back in before i do that.

steve

CJM
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Ive been tossing a +3 key around for a longtime now, I just fear Ill need to run 100 octane or better for it and that is not cheap. I tend to run thru a tank in about 6-8 hours of hard riding and it gets costly.

For a stock engine or one with 10:1 compression its a great modification and well worth the time and cost to do it.

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
both are great with the 10:1 or under. I like the 6 for a drag race style setup, the 3 for more of an mx style setup.

marc, give one a shot. If i didnt have it in my machine i would send mine to you to try out for a bit to see if you like it. maybe wait till spring and ill see what i can do for ya in that department, then if you like it, just buy one and send mine back.

steve

CJM
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I was thinking about doing it this summer steve, but really want to throw on some +2 arms among other stuff too (more $$$ lol). I also need to retune the carb, it def is not correct-but close, probably need to go up one jet size.

Just got my new razr2 fronts today I gotta get mounted and waiting on my new 39t rear.

marc

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
nice! did you go with the rzrs for the back yet or havent you ordered them yet?

steve

CJM
01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
nice! did you go with the rzrs for the back yet or havent you ordered them yet?

steve

Planning on it, just need some more cash. Although since I have some rather new kenda klaws on the rear I might wear them out first.

Im def doing some JD performance arms when I get the cash. The max ground clearance type should work awesome.

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
def, they are on the proposed list of stuff to do to the 400 this summer too. lol maybe not though depending on if i work or not.

I wanna get the 250r restored first instead. I have to get fenders and stuff for it before getting parts for the 400. steve

CJM
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I would really look to do it to match the g-force +4 axle I got when I bought the quad. Its kinda off balance right now with that and a stock front.

Might make riding the trails a bit harder, but if the rear fit thru everything Im sure it will be fine.

I wish I had a 250r just to be different sometimes, 4 strokes fun but a 2 stroke is just a whole different ride.

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
i dont really get too excited about the r to tell you the truth. i got a good deal on it and wanted to restore it. thats all. once i get done with it, it will probably sit alot. i will drain the gas out and run wd-40 through it most likely and let it sit in the garage. esp when i get my own garage. it will be the start of my collection i wanna have. steve

CJM
01-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
i dont really get too excited about the r to tell you the truth. i got a good deal on it and wanted to restore it. thats all. once i get done with it, it will probably sit alot. i will drain the gas out and run wd-40 through it most likely and let it sit in the garage. esp when i get my own garage. it will be the start of my collection i wanna have. steve

See, I would have trouble deciding what to take with me when I go riding :D

honda400ex2003
01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
yeah as the r developes a bit more it could be troublesome i suppose. i still love the torque of the hundy better though. takes alot more work to ride the r fast. lol im not always wanting to ride like a mad man to keep it fun. wheelies are much more fun. :devil: i have about 1200 bucks worth of stuff to get for the r this summer to finish it up. plus a few other things that i want to try to find to finish it off from Dennis kirk and make it complete such as graphics and such. that is with a new chain, sprockets, all new fenders, bars, tires, and rims. I have to get one of the oem air deflectors for the front also but they are hard to find. I have the rest of the stuff already, i just have to bolt it on. steve