PDA

View Full Version : My dad and I need an opinion

ridehonda400ex
01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
My brother is 6 years old and has rode dirtbikes snce he was 3. He started on an electric razor dirtbike and moved up to a ttr-90 last summer. never raced it but rode it around the yard and got pretty good on it, he could clear the driveway when he jumped it which is about 10-12ft wide. But to race hes gunna have to move down to the 50cc class and its between the Yamaha ttr-50 and the crf50. we need opinions and any experiences you had

Zakradu398
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
If he is a pretty decent rider then I would look into the ktm 50 or a Cobra 50.

SRH
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398

what he said, otherwise id just hold him out til he was ready for a 65

BlaineKaiser450
01-03-2011, 08:19 PM
^^^ Yep!

ridehonda400ex
01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
we had a ktm 50 pro senior bored to a 65(bought used) and it never ran good and he never rode it. play we dont have lots of money to spend and my dad could get the crf50 new out the door for just shy of 1000 dollars or the yamaha for about 1200. and he wont hold off another year, he's ready to ride:)

beastlywarrior
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
crf all the way

madsmokey12
01-03-2011, 09:39 PM
i would Buy a used KTM i See the 50's go for $500 All Day. Im a Yamaha Guy but im not a Fan of there Dirt Bikes i owned Kawasaki's and KTMS all my Life and They are the Only Bike i would Ever Buy. i was looking for another bike a 50 just to mess around on but now that im moving im screwed lol. but there were yamaha 50's and hondas i found for $400 OBO but i rather Spend the Extra Money and Get a Real Bike like a KTM. if not Wait for a 65 and buy a Kawasaki KX65 or a KTM.

SRH
01-03-2011, 09:43 PM
a crf or ttr 50 is just not a race bike there wide, heavy and rigid for a kid to race on

ridehonda400ex
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
well hes not gunna be doing much major jumping this year and hes probably(hopefully) getting sponsored by a store up north and they want him riding a new bike. i think a KTM would be good but thats outta the price range for brand new

SRH
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
well hes not gunna be doing much major jumping this year and hes probably(hopefully) getting sponsored by a store up north and they want him riding a new bike. i think a KTM would be good but thats outta the price range for brand new

store up north should buy him a new ktm lol

ridehonda400ex
01-03-2011, 10:20 PM
that store could buy him anything, we'd be happy lol. another reason my dad wants the 4 stroke is because less rebuilds and the crf has a large aftermarket. but the yamaha dealer said that ttr50 parts are cheaper than crf50 parts. but thats biased IMO

madsmokey12
01-03-2011, 10:30 PM

they should buy him a new Bike or Help Buy one. i would call them and say they need to help with buying a new bike or Reconsider a used Bike. i think it's Stupid to buy a new Bike if ur gonna race it and beat the **** out of it and your gonna end up replacing alot of the stuff with performance parts Any way... why waste the money?

quad59
01-04-2011, 08:47 AM
No point in buying a new bike to get 10 percent of parts and accesories at dealer pricing. Heck most places around here you get 10 percent off for a year after a new machine purchase anyways. MY 6 yr old rode a crf when we switched from quads and he hated it they are way to heavy. We bought him a ktm and he loved it. I would get a used ktm or cobra, if he is a decent rider you would be buying one in the summer of 12 anyways.

YOURADHERE
01-04-2011, 09:15 AM
What about getting him one of the SSR pitbikes(crf50 clone)? They're marketed for pitbikes for adults but Ive heard of kids racing them and being fairly competitive in the mini classes with them....oh and they're ~$700 brand new. You may have to check with the class rules. Just a thought.

madsmokey12
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
that store could buy him anything, we'd be happy lol. another reason my dad wants the 4 stroke is because less rebuilds and the crf has a large aftermarket. but the yamaha dealer said that ttr50 parts are cheaper than crf50 parts. but thats biased IMO

lol well duh the Yamaha Dealer is gonna say that about honda. and besides that if he's planing to race ur gonna have to put some performance parts on it. and sponsorship if ur gonna get sponsored by store up north and your not gonna get anything out of it why be sponsored?.... i would look into http://www.hookit.com/default.aspx

99400esex
01-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398

Definitely this. The ktm 65's are little runners too if you wanna wait til hes big enough for it.

TheLane
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
No sense in buying a NEW bike and spending extra money on a less preforming bike because your son MIGHT get sponsored.....save your 500 dollars, buy him a used ktm and buy more parts with that then the sponsor would give you. hands down.

450rJam
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
of the two you listed get the crf50
for $1,000 you can get a used ktm65

if you need to buy new for finance get the honda
(it will hold resale value pretty well)

when he out grows it you can always add high bars and use it as a pit bike (they are alot of fun)

SRH
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
any sponsor or support a entry level or even much under the a or pro class isnt going to be anything but a advertising gimmick

buy a used ktm 50 keep it stock and run it, the honda 50 and ttr 50 the mods available for them are for adults not kids

ridehonda400ex
01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
well the sponsor is goig to give him discounted gear and parts which wouldnt be that bad really

madsmokey12
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM
well the sponsor is goig to give him discounted gear and parts which wouldnt be that bad really

kinda of a picky sponsor when they are making u get a new bike

SRH
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM

the only reason your going to need parts is to make the inferior bike rideable for mx

you can send in a resume anywhere and get 15% off

buy a well maintained ktm, dont tear into it this time and it will run fine,

then with the money you saved from not having to buy forks, handle bars and clamps..since you cant even adjust the stock handle bars on a crf or ttr or a real back shock

which is roughly $900 and its still going to be crappy for a kid

you can take $100 of the 900 u saved and buy him new riding gear

ridehonda400ex
01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by madsmokey12
kinda of a picky sponsor when they are making u get a new bike

they arent making us get a new bike but thats what theyd like too see.

SRH-when we got the KTM it was already bored out. but i think the KTM would be a good choice really but my dad doesnt want the 2 stroke really. i dont really care what my bro rides. i just wanna see him race:)

hasbeenttduner
01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Go to the track and watch the class that your bro will be racing in. You may see real fast that IF you want him to be close to up to speed that a ktm or cobra will be required. The dealer may be using the word sponsor as a sales pitch. It is probably nothing more than you couldn get in a deal from any new purchase at any dealer.
Good luck and I hope he has fun.

skyeryder
01-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Buy a Cobra 50 or KTM 50 otherwise you are wasting your money trust me my son has been through this, you might not think he's going to be jumping much but once they get on them and get the feel, jumping is next and you don't want him on the yammy or Honda they land like a rock. You can get a nice bike for 800-1500 anything less than that and you'll be rebuilding everything check out KTMTALK or COBRATALK .com for more info. I have a Cobra King 50 that I'm going to be selling everything has been gone through and the frt forks are completely rebuilt. $800