PDA

View Full Version : E-85

LT80
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
So what's the story on this E-85 stuff.
I think it's made from corn and I'm sure there are reasons we don't use it.
What's you guys take on it? :)

Logan #34's Dad
01-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Im NO engine builder by any means. But, the AMA/ATVA rules state that the fuel has to be petroleum based and E-85 is not from what I understand. That may be why they don't run it.

hasbeenttduner
01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
E85 is corn based. It was a big idea on a slightly cheaper gasoline and oil substitute. Several companies spent a LOT of money building plants to produce the fuel in central California. Then the price of corn went up due to the demand between the fuel producers, daries, etc. After the price increase the whole idea started to fall apart. Most of these plants that were built here in Cali just a few years ago are closed down or doing something else. As far as being used in ATV's I am not knowledgeable enough at this point about the in's and out's but it was a little down on performance. I remember them saying it was cheaper but got worse gas milege. It was intended to average out and not depend on oil before the corn price went up.

airmobile101
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
This is what I'm told. It burns hotter than conventional gas(so Im told). I was also told it burns quicker than conventional gas. Few guys out here in the St.Louis area that I know ran it a few times in there Flex fuel trucks. One guys said he went quicker thru a full tank of gas of E85 than conventional gas. He claimed the truck had more HP/torque also???? Don't know if thats true or not. I have a Flex Fuel GMC SEIRRA, but I have yet to try it.

The E85 plants are common out here. They produce/refine it and then gets shipped in rail tanker cars. The major problem is it will mainly be the small independent gas stations that has it. I don't think BP will sell it for the simple fact it would cut into their profit. lol

But........... I wonder now how that would work in a ATV???? :D

xtremeatv
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
E-85 is mostly ethanol and its evil stuff. Most of our minis are two strokes and two strokes are not ethanol friendly. Sure you can run it for a while if you dont mind your seals going and your engine melting down......

nastynotchback1
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
e-85 is 105 octane and it takes more to make the same power as regular gas.Inorder to run it you would have to jet it up.

ewathen
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
The problem with E85 is that it is mostly alcohol. water likes to stay suspended in alcohol. Engines and fuel system dont like water. That is why the fuel systems on the flexfuel e85 compatible auto are made out of stainless steel.

nordic quad
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Saab has been using E-85 one some off their cars for a while.

http://www.saabbiopower.co.uk/

Stein A

#404's Dad
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Never seen any benefits of running it on the Dyno...

3400ben
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
E85 is a joke! It was base on corn prices of $2 and cheaper. We can't produce enough corn the feed people, animals , support corn oil based product and e85. All of this = $3 + corn prices. E85 needs to be about 70 cents cheaper than gasoline at the pump to penceil out the mileage loss.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
We have done a lot of testing with e85 on anything from big bore four strokes to the RZR170. We have consistantly seen 10% Increases in hp and torgue on the Dyno. I have not used it in any two stroke yet. As stated it is around 105 octane depending on the time of year in the winter the blend can be closer to 70% ethanol which helps with cold weather starting. Yes you will have to jet up to run it in any application we have see between 15 to 30 percent increase in fuel requirements.