PDA

View Full Version : sparks exhaust

hartwill
01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I just put this exhaust on, its a sparks mx exhaust and sparks silencer. I have ridden it maybe 15 min and the header pipe has blown apart twice. It came disconnected at the exhaust flange and apart from its other half both times. It has all new springs and feels really solid when its together almost no movement. has anyone else had this problem? Or know what could be causing this?

JM317
01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I had a Sparks MX pipe on my old R and it did the same thing several times. It always separated where the pipe joined together. I always used exhaust sealer and the springs were new and tight. It never did it when I was riding, only when I was kicking it over. Kind of like it would backfire and blow it apart.

hartwill
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
That's exactly how mine does it.

cdrookie
01-04-2011, 08:15 AM
you need new, shorter springs

86 Quad R
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
you need new, shorter springs

and/or a cr ignition that will eliminate the "kik-back" upon starting.....

depending on jetting, compression and the condition of the old OEM stator, you'll have this kik-back issue on any setup but is worse on some than others. i've learned to disiplin my self to find the TDC and thoroughly follow through when kicking the engine over. this eliminates the kik-backs and/or back firing a large majority of the time. however, isnt 100% gaurantee'd. i would also suggest that you inspect the woodruff key on the flywheel. :cool:

btw: the issue you/yall are having with the pipe connections arent limited to that particular pipe