PDA

View Full Version : Jumping you quad

400exHondaRider
01-01-2011, 09:30 PM
How did you guys start out jumping your quads is it hard to do? Any special technique that you need to know?

born2ride14
01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
lean back and give it gass

rpfeifer11
01-01-2011, 09:46 PM
If you have any machinery and dirt just make a real small single and get the feel for it and then make it into a small tabletop and then just keep making the table top bigger and when you feel risky take the dirt out of the middle of it and make a double. Personally I do not go too big with jumping if the landing is not forgiving because some of those landings are either make it or die.

sexysilverado45
01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
roll over the jump progressivly going faster then just go for it but don't hold the throttle all the way pinned unless need be 3/4 throttle should be good. also don't let off the throttle at the top and don't hit the throttle at the top just keep it steady were ever you have it. also try to keep a neutral position not to far forward and not to far backwards.

its cake once you do it once

400exHondaRider
01-01-2011, 10:16 PM
ok ya my friend has a small track down the road from me, im not as worried about taking off on the jump its how im ganna land, i have aftermarket suspension to help out its just is landing a jump hard?

400exHondaRider
01-01-2011, 10:25 PM
how long did it take you to get used to jumping?

sexysilverado45
01-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I actually started in the dunes and a little around the house just jumping the ditches taking it slow. Maybe only jumping a foot off the ground then went to the track and slowly worked my way up the same way just don't tide over your ability and take baby steps and it will come to you a lot quicker than you would think.

TheLane
01-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Yeah what he said^^
Im pretty new to it myself. I honestly started with jumps where i didnt have to worry about throttle position. as long as i was on it hard i was good and totally regret that.

Yeah, now im used to being in the air, but taking jumps that im not pinned on the whole time scared me because i hadnt learned throttle control.

Get used to making the bike do what you want, making it go nose down for landings, making it go nose up for trail riding ect. And gettting used to making the bike level out is all part of leaning and throttle control.

Start small, dont rush it, and try taking it multiple ways till you get used to making the bike do what you want. youll thank yourself later.

400exHondaRider
01-01-2011, 11:58 PM
ok thanks for the advice guys it really helps

SpasticR450
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Stay sitting and lean forward :devil:

fearlessfred
01-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
Stay sitting and lean forward :devil: i would have to disagree with sitting when learning how to jump

250rsforlife
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
i started by jumping ditches on the side of the road then moved up to piles of dirt and it helped me alot and another thing is you just have to go for it and whatever happens happens you learn from your mistakes

slightlybent47
01-02-2011, 10:34 AM
You can learn a lot by watching other riders, find a friend that is good at it and listen to him/her, try to follow them over some jumps and work your way up as you go along. Following someone so you can match there speed on the jumps can help a new rider. Make sure you start small and work your way up.
Also when you land get back on the gas just as you tuch down, don’t chop the throttle, chopping the throttle when you land make the landing harder.

TheLane
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh and get rid of your 400 ex :P (J/kj/k/j/k/j/k! )

(there are lots of 400 ex fans on here.)

99400esex
01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Definitely dont sit when your taking off, its too hard to move around and it will throw your balance off. You'll find that these things are easy to move while in the air, just approach the jump standing up with a steady throttle, go on something small until you learn.I dunno why but I have always liked to pick up my right side higher while in the air and give it a little whip, I think its easier to straighten out for flat bottom landings or a landing ramp. Also, make sure the lip your taking off from is even.

arsenal35
01-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Make sure your tires have the same pressure in them that can throw you off if you have one back tire with6 pounds and one with 9 pounds it will throw you crooked

400exHondaRider
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
ok thanks for all the advice it helps

SpasticR450
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
i would have to disagree with sitting when learning how to jump

lol you sure haha? I know.

I started jumping off a small pile of dirt which I now hit much bigger woops bigger than it was. But very first jumps was my drive way. Black top that sat like 2 inches above the grass and would hit it and jump a few inches high.

But I did try doing it sitting once just to see what would happen. Big noes dive.

dan harris
01-03-2011, 07:33 AM
When your ready to get air come on out to the Breezewood Proving Grounds - I've got every size jump you could want - from 10 foot table tops to 80' plus jumps - and we LOVE QUADS !!

mjc597
01-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
When your ready to get air come on out to the Breezewood Proving Grounds - I've got every size jump you could want - from 10 foot table tops to 80' plus jumps - and we LOVE QUADS !!

AWESOME pic !! looks like you could almost completely spin around and grab back on ! LOL love seeing pics of the proving grounds. never got a chance to get out there when i lived up in N.Y. might have to get a bunch of buddies from down here together and plan a little vacation up there some time..

fearlessfred
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
lol you sure haha? I know.

I started jumping off a small pile of dirt which I now hit much bigger woops bigger than it was. But very first jumps was my drive way. Black top that sat like 2 inches above the grass and would hit it and jump a few inches high.

But I did try doing it sitting once just to see what would happen. Big noes dive. there are certain jumps i would sit down ,and those are ones that i want the nose down for the landing. this is not something i would recommend to someone just learning.there is one thing that should be mentioned,and that is that how much throttle opening you have has a great effect on the jump and im not talking about speed