PDA

View Full Version : See this thread!

Logan #34's Dad
01-01-2011, 05:42 AM
We all need to view this thread then ACT! Before its too late.
Its kinda hard to follow but basically its Comments from NATIONAL CHAMPION Dustin Wimmer on his Facebook stating that our sport is in real trouble. If HE can't find sponsors now then whats the future for our kids?
We as a society don't seem to care about something until it directly affects us OR its to late to do anything about it. Does this affect you?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=455487

DAVYS DAD
01-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Yea this sucks,I also heard Josh Creamer didn't get a ride!?!? ls Suzuki pulling out.What could we do to help?

Ride1Rob
01-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Nothing... Here's a comment I made from the other post

Originally posted by Ride1Rob
I agree! The thing is AMA doesn't promote the quads anywhere close to the bikes. It's pretty much like that at every track you go to. The bikes get more exposure than the quads and one reason is turnouts. It's alot easier and less expensive to buy a bike and race it and be competitive in stock trim as opposed to these quads that have to be built. Therefor, you get more bikes on the gates and that makes the track owners, promoters, etc... cater more to the bikes. Sad to say, but if we want to have a good chance to make money racing MX we need to dump 2 wheels.

As for Wimmer, it is sad but I've been seeing this coming the last 2-3 yrs. Every year for the past few years factory teams have been cutting their ATV race programs. Suzuki bailed on it's factory road race team for World Super Bike in the middle of the season last year. This was done while their Factory rider was in 2nd place battling for a World Championship title. They won't have a team at all in 2011.

LT80
01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
It wasn't that long ago nobody had any sponsorship (factory and other big deals).
Their daddy's are all rich and they will be there anyways.
It was obvious to me that when Zuki let Doug Gust go that loyalties were out the window.

Altho, it could be karma. <EG>

rpfeifer11
01-01-2011, 08:34 AM
It's been over for a while guys. Time to face it and move on.

Logan #34's Dad
01-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by DAVYS DAD
Yea this sucks,I also heard Josh Creamer didn't get a ride!?!? ls Suzuki pulling out.What could we do to help?
As far as Suzuki, I was told they didn't even build any 2011 450's!
Here's my idea:
As the one person commented, they need major tv coverage. The all mighty AMA/ATVA needs to contract The Speed Channel to put quad racing on the air. Heck, even just to get Dave Dispain to mention it with some highlights on the Speed Report would help.
So, I question as to what WE can do as a group?
One idea I have is, the owners of this web site can send out an email to ALL its members with attachments of forms to be "signed" and forwarded to the right people at the AMA/ATVA and SPEED. If the "bigshots" see that people care AND there is an audience then maybe they will consider it. 96,000 members from this site alone would be hard to ignore!
I believe that if there was tv coverage then the factory teams would be back. The sport would explode. JMO

coffing918
01-01-2011, 09:09 AM
i agree most people my son tells that he races ATVs they never even knew that kids or adults were racing them

hanker
01-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Quad racing is going to be on TV. Jan. 15 2011 @ 7:00pm on the Speed Channel.

EthansDad
01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
as much as this sucks, it really is no surprise. I agree that something has to be done and Rocky, I tend to agree with you on getting a unified front to assault the speed channel. If folks just kick around ideas for months or do things in their own area it just won't be enough. if we can get organised on how to focus the masses towards coverage on speed or espn, I think everything for the sport will fall in line.

I don't know anyone that can influence this. Don't know if the admin's here have an opinion, or if we reach out to the ATVRE media group to see what they think. this forum really does have a huge community of folks that should be interested in driving the sport forward. just don't know what it would take to move the masses.

-EA

doonanracing
01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
If you want this sport to grow. On jan 15th at 7pm EST Speed TV is showing a clip from the Semo, MO race. They are not showing the pro class they are showing a Prod. C Class from what I understand. My son has a dream of becoming a Pro some day, he might not have all the tools to get there but he is 10 and I need him to have dreams and a drive. This is from atv racing. It
should not matter if you like TT, MX , XC or whatever. I would suggest everyone to make it a point to watch this race and then go to Speed TV and make it a point that you want to see more. This is how it works. If they have viewers then they can sale ads and if they sale ad they can make money and if they make money that will get atv racing more exposure. More exposure means more sponsorships. Simply put for a manufacturer if they have a team and it is not helping or improving their market and sales than why have a team. I am sure this is the thought process. Now take that same team which is very costly, get it TV exposure as well as track exposure which might help increase exposure and sales than the rewards outways the costs. Manufactures give the Pro's or riders discounts or products because it is marketing for their product. Simply put watch the race then go to Speed and let them know you likes it amd want to see more. Remember when you have National TV exposure then we can get other sponsors and they will look at this as another marketing avenue. This is how Nascar grew, not by relying on manufacturers for support. Our opportunity is in 2 weeks. We either grap it or let it slide away.

LT80
01-01-2011, 12:59 PM
You guys must have Speed channel eh..
Now if your going to dream, let's dream ABC/NBC/CBS and let everyone see it.

doonanracing
01-01-2011, 01:08 PM
"Start small and dream big"

EthansDad
01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
so here is what Hanker and doon are talking about. my schedule is marked. check the schedule here:

http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/date/2011-1-15

if you check the details, looks like the show is a mash up of a bunch of different sports, including the ATV c class race. I plan on watching, noting the sponsors, then sending my feedback here to speed:

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

the feedback page is a form to nicely categorize your gripes. I plan on telling them how much I enjoy products from company blah who advertised on the program, and ask for more ATV national MX coverage or something to that effect.

-EA

quadnana7
01-02-2011, 09:44 AM
We can all start now by thanking sponsers we already know that have helped support this race in contributing money and gifts toward prizes and youth contingency.
Maximum RPM
Haggerty Racing
Redonkulous Runts Racing
Scootercraft
ODI Grips
Motowoz
PEP Shocks
Profile Performance
TRE
We appreciate all your help !

redonkulousruntsracing
01-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I realized that the Pro series was in trouble when Kawi pulled out. Not even a full Pro gate. We consider Unadilla Seth's home track and he races the ATV national there and we go and watch the bike national too and it is sick how much bigger the bike race is. There are like 5-6 vendors there for quad race and dozens at the bike show. You can hardly walk around at the bike race because there are SOO many people there, the quad race is a ghost town. Almost as if no one cares about the 4 wheeled racers. Locally they PROMOTE the heck out of the 1 day Pro bike race and hardly a word is spoken about the quad event. I still feel that promoters need to promote! My son would love to grow up and turn pro, it's what he has wanted to do since he was 3. I hope the sport is still around when he gets older, I know there is a bunch of us who live this sport, but too few people even knows it exists. Let's hope that this SPEED race is a stepping stone to bigger and better things for ATV MX. There are a few people working very hard to build our sport and they should be thanked. I know Gary Rozelle and Mark Wells worked hard get the SPEED race from fiction to reality and I am sure there were more responsible. I am optimistic that the groundwork is being put down for the future of our sport for our kids and future racers. Let's have a great 2011 with or without big sponsors and the pros, preferably with.:)

quadnana7
01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Here's a pic of the event shirt from the Semo race. Because of the sponsers generous contributions along with Lucas Oil this event was a success. They had the foresight to promote ATV racing as a whole. Check them out and keep them in mind when doing business as they are giving back to the sport! That would be a great way to thank them as well as emails to Lucas and thr T.V. sponsers. Much of the planning of this event including the 20+ rooms for the T.V. crew had to be raised through their help.

mushinracing
01-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Atv mx nationals will be on versus which is way bigger when it comes to viewers than speed . They were just bought by NBC ,so there you go. But that's not gonna fix it ,everyone says they are struggling but when you go to buy something from them they are backed up with work.?????suzuki has not made a ltr since 09 half the year they were having to stop sale on 09 models for some emissions stuff. So how can a company have a team if they don't have a bike to sell Suzuki is not gone by any means they just have to figure some stuff out in the biz side of it first.

Ride1Rob
01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by mushinracing
Atv mx nationals will be on versus which is way bigger when it comes to viewers than speed .

That's great news Scott! Any info on this?

hanker
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I love how TT racing seems like 4 letter word.

Logan #34's Dad
01-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by hanker
I love how TT racing seems like 4 letter word.

TT is worse off than MX. When they are only getting 4 to 5 kids on a gate for a final moto per class - you gotta wonder what kind of future there is for TT.
Thats the hard thing to understand with the MX. We (youth classes) usually have either a full gate or real close to one and the sport is in a freefall. I don't get it. There is a future but WE need to figure out how to make it great for our kids.

#404's Dad
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
TT Racing is awesome, We love it to death but the truth is it is dying, There are much larger turn outs for us at the Local MX races than the TT Nationals get, in the 70 cvt class in TT we had 5-7 quads to race against maybe 9 at a race or two, Fun for sure but not worth the money to build bikes for a race style that is so limited on places to race them and surely not worth the travel expense, sad but true :(

hanker
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I did suck to drive a 1000 miles to a race and find out we were the only 50cc there.

hanker
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by hanker
I did suck to drive a 1000 miles to a race and find out we were the only 50cc there.

I'm just glad we had 2 70cc 4-strokes to race against.

skyeryder
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I know this is mainly about MX, but take a look at GNCC there numbers climb every year and the Pro support is very little MAYBE 7-8 guys have full rides. Maybe the MX side needs to take a look at what they are doing and make it more affordable for the privateers that way your numbers are up, fill the stands hence more $$$$ and more exposure which leads to the Big 4 being more involved. As for now if I was to buy a new quad I'd have to seriously take a hard look at the Can-Am's no one supports more riders than they are right now.
And if nothing else get rid of the production rule and bring back the 250R, I had to say it!!!:D :D :D

cannondale27
01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
A good rider on a average-stock machine can compete and win at Harescrambles/XC at the B or C level.Dirtbikes even A class can be and is won on stock bikes at MX races.Until we all can leave our quads alone and just race them stock.Growth will be stunted even if modded quads are just used as an excuse for not being competitive.Its tough to give up all the power and suspension all the mods give us and the people that provide the parts have supported our sport through even the worst of times so running all stock would hurt them.Its a catch 22.

quadnana7
01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
1st
Let me say this is the real Quadnana not Gary so if you don't like what I have to say take it out on me not Gary.
2nd
Everyone is arguing about Speed------Versus Channel who really cares they are both great sports channels as long as we are being televised is that not what we want. Speed is better in some areas and Versus is better in others. We are fortunate to have both channels and watch both equally.
3rd
Now everyone is saying dying sport if you keep saying it, it will come true. I dont understand how the MXers can say we are a dying sport when we have 700+ riders at our National events. You complain now the races take to long the more riders the longer it takes we dont get out of there until aftER 4 or 5 on Sundays now. You say our Pro's don't have a full gate no offense to the Pro's I love all of yall. But what about the amateurs and youth classes the production classes had 40+ riders, 4 stroke 30+ riders, open classes 30+, youth classes a lot had 30+ riders. What about those classes did you see a decrease? They had to get to the races by themselves with out a full ride and it cost them the same to get to the races.The numbers are real check them out on the amaatv site if you dont believe me.
If some of the sponsors want to pull out then that is their loss then as an atv family we need to take a stand and dont buy their atvs.
4th
Now I probably am going to step on some toes but what about the youth companies DRR, Apex, Pitster Pro,Honda, Cobra and any others why can't they step up and come to the races. Being at the track and giving rider support in my opinion would sell more of their brand atvs. Some of these companies make motorcycles too and they attend the ama events. What about us you want to sell more atvs then support us like you do the motorcycles. What are we the stepchildren you dont like?
5th
You talk about different types of racing being dead. We are MXers at heart but we have raced most types of atv racing. We are an ATV family and whatever type of racing you prefer is your choice and we need to stick together as a family. STOP complaining about the other types of atv racing. As long as it is on an ATV we are in we have had a blast at all of them.
6th
We should all be thankful for the sponsors we have and always let them know how much we appreciate their help it is not always the large companies that step up there are lots of aftermarket parts companies, manufacturers, dealers, and distributers that have stepped up to help this sport and they need to be commended.
7th
That is all I have to say except remember
WHY DO WE ALL DO THIS?

cannondale27
01-03-2011, 05:24 PM
You bring up a very good point.Look what Kawasaki did back in the 80's for the 80 class.They factory backed alot of 80 Dirtbikers.Personally know locals that got bikes and parts from the factory and that did have a huge impact for the next 10-20 years on the sport.Might only be a dream for the kids quads though.

doonanracing
01-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Well put quadnana. This is about atv racing as a whole. Actually TT's racer counts have grown over the past year from the information I received from the EDT board. Maybe not in the youth segment but in the amatuer ranks it has along with the Pro Ranks which is a good sign. MX and XC getting over 500 riders at a National is outstanding. If Speed saw enough of our sport to decide to show a Prod C class over a Pro class and from what I understood actually thought the most exciting race might of been a Pro/am race then I think we might agree maybe whomever does the production for Versus for MX might pick up the same as some of the most exciting races are in the amateur and youth ranks. How do you think your kid will feel if they decide to show his race on versus getting national exposure. How about his sponsors? Now there is something to think about. MMM Major sponsors now looking at the amateur ranks. My boy would just think he won a lottery to have his moment like that. Yes the Pro top level classes have lost some riders and their count is down in most circuits, but remember why we do what we do. The chances of making a living out of atv racing is like winning the lottery, just as the chance of driving a Nascar is to those whom drive late models in the thousands of race tracks around the US dream of. We are just a smaller community. Like the great Lombardi stated. If you say it and believe it. It will happen. So if you believe the sport is dying and say it it will happen. Your wishes will come true. If we simply believe it will grow and each does our part which might seem small it can happen. Watch the programs especially on Speed and what I understand on Versus and let them know how much you like it and want more, show up at the track, make those whom actually push and sponsor our sport of racing feel apreciated,etc. I have watched guys like Mushin Racing whom is doing his part in what is needed to take this sport to the next level and those are whom we should support. ATV racing is never going to have the rider counts as Motorcycles due to economics especially at the local level but we still can grow and yes TV, Internet, and working as an whole can get us there to the next level. Again 2 weeks the future can either start or stop. If a couple people can have a dream and get an atv race onto Speed, what can a couple hundred or more people do. Should be an exciting year for atv racing. This sport as a whole lives, grows and dies all within the amateur ranks not the Pro ranks. Just ask the XC guys.

LT80
01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
FYI: Kaw seems to jump in and jump out quickly. MX wasn't the first.
I wish they would have stayed in it fully but I don't consider them leaving a big deal.

quadnana7
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
This Saturday 7pm eastern on Speed Channel
http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/lucas-oil-on-the-edge-atv-racing-speed-tv-episode.html

mushinracing
01-12-2011, 07:43 AM
The sport of atv motocross is not dying by no means.This is a very expensive sport that will have people come and go,and will always be that way and no one can change that. But what be can do to make the national atvmx scene better is promote your rider to friend and family to come and watch. Spectators our the only thing we need right now,we need to help fill the up the grassy banks of the track ,that's what will help the ratings. Everyone wanted tv and now we got it but without ratings we won't keep it.Most of the people on this forum would like more sponsors well this is how you get them. Winning will not get you sponsors,just ask Dustin wimmer,Josh creamer,they won the last three national championships in the pro class and can't find a job racing at the nationals,so what does that tell ya,sponsors need there products sold and need to know where the money comes from,tell someone that rpm Axels are the best and to go get one from there local dealer is not answer for helping yourself for next year . What you need to do is give them rpms number and to tell them to mention you when they buy it.that will let rpm know where the moneys is coming from and secure a better deal for yourself next year that's how you help yourself and your sponsor .to many people just take the easy way out and quit because they can't get sponsors to help,it's not the sport it's a few riders who can't sell them selfs or the products they run or they our going about the wrong way.if you do the same thing over and over and expect a different result than your insane, switch it up and trust me it ain't easy it's the one of the hardest things to do because your outside your comfort level but it's the only way to change your outcome in the sponsorship world. Even if your not sponsored buy a product you use you can still send people straight to them and they will know of you for the following year. Remember sponsorship money comes from companies marketing budget. And a advertising budget must make a profit or it's a waste of company money and will be cut the following year. Stay positive and safe for 2011 and if you need any pointers please just ask,I will help . It's all about being apart of the solution not the problem .

Logan #34's Dad
01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
kum bay ya, my lord, kum bay ya :blah:

edwardsp&b
01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Good points by all. Scott, is there a confirmation on T.V exposure for next year? If so that I think that will help. Maybe you wont get that blank look from somebody when you tell them that you race ATV's.

My next question is who advertise's the races to the local public when they come to town. The first National race is 20 min outside of us, and besides the local riders talking about it, we havent heard a word about it. Seems to me that if you want more people to come out and spectate (besides close family and friends watching someone they know race) you would advertise to get the word out about the race. Doesnt that fall on the promoter? You start hearing about the fair, monster trucks, etc... months before hand, why not a National race. Seems to me that whoever is benifiting from the bottom line at Nat's would want more people just spectating to make more money. How do you do that without advertising?

Im not trying to be negative here, just questioning the ways we go about promoting ourselves for the future.
Bryan

Logan #34's Dad
01-12-2011, 11:13 AM
It does fall onto the promoter. If I had my guess, they make plenty of money as it is (by overcharging us) so why bother. TRUTH!!!!! In an ideal situation for we racers would be to keep our costs down and the promoter HAVE to work to get spectators to the track to get a good monetary outcome. But those days are long gone!
One other problem is: It costs alot to get in the door. Yeah, I know its pro racing BUT if the fee were less, more people would come and off-set the price difference. IMO.
How about sending some gate tickets to the local radio stations to give away for winning a contest. That would get great exposure. And have our Pro riders go to the local radio station to talk about the sport and upcoming event. Great FREE airtime and promotion. (i stole these ideas from Scott at Mushin - FYI)

selbygirl
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
like edward sed we have to promote the races . when we have local races or jambores or outlaws races in my area i put flyers out to local company s i email every one i can i evan run ads in the paper i use to rent local tracks to interduse new peaple to quad racing i charged 20 bucks a person and the track made 700 .00 bucks that day. but some peaple get up set when you invite to many peaple to a race it hapend a few months ago at maryland state championship some peaple came up to me and asked why i told every one about the the race i told them to help make the sport grow they wer just worryed abougt losing ther trophy s or points. i dont no abouht you all but we have to many trophys 52 of them we just want to race quads we dont want to lose the sport, take care tommy

mushinracing
01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Marketing is what I do I really don't know anything else but marketing. So I went to west virgina and had a set down with the people in charge and donated my resources for a couple events this year . This will be bigger than anyone of us has ever seen. The big picture is ,the promoters want it to change to or they woundnt be letting me do this. My dad always taught me that if you don't like it then go fix it yourself .
You see anyone of you can make a difference if you really want to it's not all about money,you can help by volunteering your time,if ya ain't got money you should have plenty of time.but that's if you really want change.I just prefer to lead in front going into battle.

edwardsp&b
01-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Those are great ideas! The radio station giveaways, and the pro's having meet and greets. Get the local dealers involved, Im sure they would love to have a pro rider in their store for a meet and greet. These are the type of things that need to be done for this sport to survive. NOBODY knows about our sport. That's what we have to change.

Rock, I gotta disagree a little with you on the price. Ten bucks to get in for the day for a spectator, I dont think thats gouging. Theres not much you can go do now thats less than 10 bucks for the day. Hell, we cant go ride a practice track for that! The gouging thats taking place is what they charge us to race, and spectate. Seems to me that we could get a little break by racing too.

Scott, I do have time that I can donate.(when Im not working on CVT's! LOL!) Im sure what your planning for the events this will be awesome. (Ben still talks about the cash grab machine at Red Bud last year.) If you need volunteers to make it go, give me a shout at the race. Our family would be glad to help any way we can.
Bryan Kirkland

Ryko racing
01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with Quadnana.
The factories in bikes have cut back too. That is the economy in all areas of business.
Maybe with less factory riders the PRIVATEERS will have a better chance.

The glass is half full, we do get decent turnouts thanks to us parents that are willing to spend OUR money.

I still believe that a qualifier system like the bikes use would help us in the long run.
As far as the youth companies supporting the sport, there are a few that do a nice job.

It is too bad the Cobras, and oems cant have a amatuer presence , they will never know until they try it.

Ryko racing
01-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I was thinking about this overnight and everyone has a good point.

Rockys point of the Pro riders going to the local dealers and radio to promote the race is great.
ACTUALLY I WONDER IF ANY OF THEM DO THIS NOW.....
I BET NOT...
OTHER THAN # 13 I DONT REALLY SEE A LOT OF THE PROS INTERACTING WITH THE KIDS AT ALL AT THE RACES.
I WOULD THINK THAT IF I MADE MY LIVING DOING WHAT I LOVED I WOULD BE PROMOTING AND PROTECTING WHAT I DO.

A FEW YEARS BACK THEY TALKED ABOUT QUADS RACING WITH MONSTER TRUCKS.( THEY SELL OUT EVERY ARENA) CLEAR CHANNEL USED TO LET THE MINIS RACE AT HALFTIME AT SOME VENUES)
THE KIDS LOVED IT, WHAT IM SAYING SUPPORTS WHAT MUSHIN SAID ABOUT SPONSORS. IM SURE CLEAR CHANNEL DID NOT LET KIDS RACE FOR THE 12 GATE FEES IT WAS JUST TO GET MORE PEOPLE TO WATCH THE TRUCKS BUT IN DOING SO IT WILL RAISE INTEREST IN OUR SPORT IF WE DID IT CORRECTLY.
ITS A NUMBERS GAME..... LETS ALL TRY TO INCREASE THE NUMBERS...