View Full Version : nitrogen pressure?

Schultz#508#
01-01-2011, 12:57 AM
im rebuilding my stage 3 elkas and i was wobdering if anybody know how much oil they take and what to charge the nitrogen to

trailrider894
01-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Schultz#508#
im rebuilding my stage 3 elkas and i was wobdering if anybody know how much oil they take and what to charge the nitrogen to

Call a shock place. Or just call Elka.

dustin_j
01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
1 quart should do both fronts with extra leftover; either use Elka oil or 2.5 wt. I have been using 150 psi in my fronts.

Schultz#508#
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
do they get filled all the way? and there 20in long

A A R O N
01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
do they get filled all the way? and there 20in long

From that statement alone...you need to send them out to have them serviced. Each and every shock on an ATV is different and there are things you have to do in each of them to make sure that all of the air is bled out. It's not a matter of "how much oil" but rather, "how to assemble" in order to make sure there is no air trapped inside. Trust me. Send them to a professional.

Schultz#508#
01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
well i know how i do doing hydraulic accumulators cause i work at a hydraulic shop. but i might send them out anyway just to make sure haha

A A R O N
01-03-2011, 07:57 PM
you probably have the skills to do it then but without the knowledge....i wouldn't bother. sounds to me like you'd benefit from finding a shop who would let you sit in on the process to see how it's done once so you can do it yourself later.

it's usually super easy to do....but it's even easier to screw up :p

Schultz#508#
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
yea id really like to be able to watch first and ya it is a little bit easier to screw up haha, thanks for advise

Hasteloy-X
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Custom Axis used to have a service manual in PDF format on their website. It covered all of your questions regarding how to add oil and basics of disassembly and reassembly.

Remember to bleed the pressure out b4 doing any work on them!!!

I used it to rebuild my axis shocks. It isn't difficult. With practice you could do all 3 in an hour! YMMV...

As for oil, I used Redline Like Water. I paid $9.00 a pint. I used a little more than half of a 16 oz. bottle on a front pair of 16 inch long shocks.

If you take them appart and get stuck, you'll have to send them in anyway.

So read the PDF and decide for yourself.